• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mouse4x4

Oct 11, 2009
    How much of a gray area is it to build a hbar out of a 80% lower as long as it meets Maryland's guidelines. I mean anyone can build there own gun as long as they can own a gun correct.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    n36407504_31735415_1766.jpg

mouse4x4

Oct 11, 2009
    I am not trying to stir a pot up but honestly how can anything happen if you didn't have it before Oct 1 there is no way to track one paper weight to another. An on the up side who would know you had it unless you have it in a gun rack in your rear window then honestly how many cops even know what it is

mouse4x4

Oct 11, 2009
    The real gray area is the Virginia line runs through my property so as long as I keep them in a shed in the south end of my lot I guess nothing can be said

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    It's black and white.

Follow the law, and call the actual people who write and enforce the laws if you have questions.

Posting on an online forum you will only get uneducated opinions.

mouse4x4

Oct 11, 2009
    That was a joke come on guys, I was really just looking for some guidance with my interest. But I should have known how these forums go every buddy is a expert an smart a$$ behind a key board.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    You can manufacture any firearm you are legally allowed to own. I am a lawyer, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Remember, buying an HBAR and keeping it an HBAR is 100% legal in Maryland so long as you don't put prohibited parts on the receiver.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    You can manufacture any firearm you are legally allowed to own. I am a lawyer, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions. Remember, buying an HBAR and keeping it an HBAR is 100% legal in Maryland so long as you don't put prohibited parts on the receiver.

"Prohibited parts on the reciever"? Its the same reciever and parts as any other AR 15 except with a HBAR profile barrel installed on the Upper rather than a different profile or weight barrel. I think its a pretty grey area with the HBAR barrels. And the law says Colt HBAR Sporter. I've heard it from a couple people that the Maryland Attorney General is taking a litteral interpretation of the law and saying that only Colt HBAR Sporters are legal. But, that the MSP hasn't taken on this definition yet for sales within Maryland.

This is potentially more dangerous for our dealers than than the buyers. So, I think it would be best to exercise extreme caution. I'm glad I got and registered my lower before October...so I can put whatever uppers I want on it. Otherwise now, I'd either be getting an AR-10 or a Piston Driven AR-15. These are both completely different designs than a standard AR-15. So there would no contest if MSP cracked down on it. Related yes, but not so similar thats it the same gun with a different feature.

The law dosent say, Banned: "AR-15 without HBAR Barrel" or even "AR-15 in all forms except with HBAR barrel"......but it essentialy says "AR-15 and copies......except Colt HBAR Sporter." Which how I take it, is they're making an exception for that specific model, not just having a HBAR barrel in general. They're not enforcing it now and I guess its legal, but who's to say that won't change in the future......or they try to say the sales of these rifles before they cracked down were illegal because they were technically illegal after October 1st, and conviscate them or worse throw people in jail for it. Just because MSP isn't enforcing it or no ones getting arrested or fined yet, dosent mean its legal.

Laws can and have been stretched in their use and also have been condensed or even ignored. Courts interpret the law and their enforcement, but don't necessarily give real time oversight or interpretation of a law unless someone is charged with a crime or a lawsuit is filed (which can take much longer in some cases than criminal procedings, especially at the Federal level)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom