• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    If you’re looking to go the non-surplus route, Levi’s sells a “field jacket” that is basically an M65 knockoff as well. I have one in OD and they make them in khaki and in black. Made really well and super warm, only big difference is the collar zipper is only for looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Literally one of the worst jackets in the history of mankind. Terrible rain resistance, those liners suck for warmth, heavy when wet.
    But one of the coolest jackets ever in the history of jackets. Triple aught design made 300 of their version. Modern material and technology of course. I would have dropped 400 for one but missed out.

https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/m-65-rs-field-jacket/

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Literally one of the worst jackets in the history of mankind. Terrible rain resistance, those liners suck for warmth, heavy when wet.
    But one of the coolest jackets ever in the history of jackets. Triple aught design made 300 of their version. Modern material and technology of course. I would have dropped 400 for one but missed out.

https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/m-65-rs-field-jacket/
    This is more of a fashion thing for my son - the knockoff thing he had wasn't good at all for warmth - a genuine M65 would have been way better than that thing was, and it only really took a couple of years of steady use before it was maxed out and coming apart at the seams.

I'm probably going to try either a Rothco or Alpha Industries at first - they seem to make a decent enough product that is fairly close to the original, and they aren't terribly expensive.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I have purchased several leather jackets from US Wings over the years. They have good quality and excellent customer service. The owner has a cool back story too.
    They have M-65, M-51, M-43 and M-41. There is a wide price range depending upon where it was made:
    https://www.uswings.com/?s=field&post_type=product

The link is from a search for "field" so look around on the site, they have many more things and sometimes poking around reveals things which are poorly indexed or linked.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Was it Sunny’ Surplus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe you are correct. Can't find WWII or Vietnam era surplus in great condition as easy as the 1970's. Guess that's a given.

"Do not boil water in this canteen"

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Believe you are correct. Can't find WWII or Vietnam era surplus in great condition as easy as the 1970's. Guess that's a given.

"Do not boil water in this canteen"

Well sure, but hell Sunny’s had a ton of great Surplus in the early 90s still.

I’ve got a woodland Camo M65 and quilted liner that are probably circa late 80s. Great shape still. I used it for hunting mynfirst season and then bought a clearance Herters parka from Cabela’s for $62 that is warm down about 10-15 degrees colder, better water resistance and weighs about half as much as the jacket and liner combo for the M65.

I still really love that M65 though. It is great waking through the woods jacket or just doing messy crap, camping, whatever. Awesome resistance to puncture and tear. I just don’t use it for hunting anymore.

If I could find a modernized one that used modern insulation, a bit better weather proofing and either in modern hunting camos or at least multicam I’d buy one in a heart beat. The utility and placement of the pockets is the best IMHO.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    Yep, bunch of us had them. Was a Surplus store at Cordell Ave & Wisconsin, forget the name of it. I liked the Tropical jacket, with four big pockets too. I may still have a OD WWII trench coat, that thing is heavy. Navy Pea Coat is great as well and what I use now.

I think that was Ranger Surplus. There's still one in Rockville near Cannon's Seafood.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Sunny's Surplus was the go-to place for our Boy Scout troop in the 90s. I got all of my initial gear from there and still have the duffel bag that scrapes your knuckles and is incredibly uncomfortable to carry! Seems like most of the surplus stores are gone but there are still a few out there. Unlike a lot of other clothing and gear, I really prefer to inspect the stuff personally before making a purchase since there is so much variation in usage and quality. However, I've gotten some cool foreign surplus stuff from Sportsman's Guide. Probably the best item so far is a German police sweater that is probably from the 90s. I've also gone to Full Metal Jacket in Alexandria, VA. They usually have a really good selection of US and foreign military surplus. I got my military sleep system (double sleeping bag thing) from them and love it.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Yep, bunch of us had them. Was a Surplus store at Cordell Ave & Wisconsin, forget the name of it. I liked the Tropical jacket, with four big pockets too. I may still have a OD WWII trench coat, that thing is heavy. Navy Pea Coat is great as well and what I use now.

That was Super Surplus - awesome place, I spent many hours in there as a kid! Still have some things around (old gas mask bags, etc) that I got there over the years. <edit>I remember now though, it did get bought out by Ranger Surplus after the founder retired (or did he pass away then? Can't remember.) but it was a fixture for decades.</edit>

I miss old Bethesda. <sigh>

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Oh, and I do still have my 1984-85 issued OD field jacket (they were phasing them out for woodland, finally) and still wear it sometimes. Need a new liner, but I love that crusty old thing. Lotsa memories...

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'm pretty sure the one in Bethesda was Sunny's and the name eventually changed to Ranger. I could be totally confused though since I was a kid and didn't do the driving!

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    As of 1995, it was still Super Surplus, if you have FB there's a pic of it in one group there, not mine but I think it's publicly visible at this link:

28947298_10215615413408135_1871711795183590442_o.jpg

So there's that.

I grew up literally 2 blocks away, from the mid-60s on, so that was a place I went frequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom