• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I think now might be the time to post names and addresses of all of these legislators.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It may come a time when one might consider moving things out of state. Converting to SBR would make this very cumbersome.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Instead of leaving the state, maybe we should all put on yellow vests and head to Annapolis!!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Add up all the tax stamps and fees to SBR your rifles, its cheaper to move out of state. Maryland does need our tax dollars.

I mean, I just need to SBR one rifle. I’ve got 5 lowers. 1 was built as a pistol, so fine there. 1 was built as a rifle. 2 have integral stocks and one of those was built and has my 6.5 grendel upper on it (not an AR-15. Different barrel, magazine and bolt). I just need to SBR that one “built as a rifle” lower. Any of my other lowers (other than the pistol one) just need to keep collecting dust with nothing attached to them. Or built in to a pistol or SBR before it has an upper attached to it.

Technically with that pistol lower, it can have a 16” or 20” upper on it. It would be stupid, but it doesn’t make it not a pistol. I just can’t put a stock on it at any point or it is in a rifle configuration (or SBR configuration if less than 16” barrel).

But I’d like to have an actual rifle in .223. So I would go ahead and file for the tax stamp to make an SBR.

Hey, I mean a perk is I could get a 14.5” barrel and not need to pin anything.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Not sure why ANYONE would be discussing contorting their firearms to comply with these laws. They can pound sand or try to take them.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Fine - delete the thread. Sorry I asked.

I just think we need to put the effort into making sure the laws are not passed and that the consequences of passing them are ULTRA clear to those voting for the bills or signing them into law.

To me, it a defeatist approach to jump into compliance techniques right away. Again, JMO.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I just think we need to put the effort into making sure the laws are not passed and that the consequences of passing them are ULTRA clear to those voting for the bills or signing them into law.

To me, it a defeatist approach to jump into compliance techniques right away. Again, JMO.

I partly agree. To me it isn’t defeatist, but getting a Form 1 approved takes sometime. I want to know what the process is and what I could expect in advance. I’ve been toying with making an SBR after getting a tax stamp anyway. The juice has not been previously worth the squeeze, but it would be here.

One thing to point out from what I have been able to find, so long as the original Form 1 or 4 configuration is kept, the barrel length 16” or great fan temporaryily be put on the lower. It is an NFA item from the time it is approved and also an SBR. You’d have to get ride if the short barrel/upper entirely for it to no longer be an NFA item/SBR. Some grey area when you slap on a 16+” barrel if it is no longer an SBR, but is NFA for that period of time, what it would mean for MD.

“If you change a configuration to one with a longer barrel removing it from the SBR classification, ATF has stated such temporary changes are permissible and can allow you to travel with your firearm out-of-state (without a Form 5320.20) as long as the shorter barrel stays in your home state. NOTE: If you still own and possess the shorter barrel (whether configured on the lower or not) the firearm is still considered an NFA firearm and cannot be removed from the NFA registry unless you no longer have the short barrel. SECOND NOTE: ATF has been known to change their opinions on policy issues periodically. Due to the discrepancy of a registered SBR with a longer barrel not needing a Form 5320.20 but still being considered an SBR may be a policy that changes. To be safe, we encourage always obtaining a Form 5320.20 prior to traveling interstate with any registered SBRs.”

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

ok - so - MGA (hypothetically) enacts legislation to effectively confiscate HBAR ARs. In reaction, we SBR them and hence prevent that from happening. And how is that defeatist? I think it is wise to have a plan for every contingency.

Now if you want to say we have not crossed that bridge yet, one thing at a time, ok, I get that. And we may not cross that bridge this time around.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    ok - so - MGA (hypothetically) enacts legislation to effectively confiscate HBAR ARs. In reaction, we SBR them and hence prevent that from happening. And how is that defeatist? I think it is wise to have a plan for every contingency.

Now if you want to say we have not crossed that bridge yet, one thing at a time, ok, I get that. And we may not cross that bridge this time around.

On the other side of that unconstitutional hoop you are planning to jump through is a slip knot noose.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    On the other side of that unconstitutional hoop you are planning to jump through is a slip knot noose.

So having a contingency plan in place does not constitute giving up on other options; and in that I agree with you. I plan on writing MANY letters to legislators. That I would like to make clear. The SBR option is plan B, not plan A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom