• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    This won't go anywhere.

I believe Mr. Zirkin and others have spoken out against Man./Min. laws previously. They are typically the first charges dropped or plead out in many cases. They effectively have no "teeth"

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I see the transfer bill is back in action.

Also known as the “making my wife a criminal if she defends herself or our kids with one of my handguns if she reaches for that in the safe when someone is breaking down the door and I am not home” law.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    HB-31

"Providing that the prohibition on carrying or possessing a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property does not apply to a school resource officer who is assigned to a public school in Baltimore City and is on public school property in Baltimore City."

I guess they are going to ban lunch ladies and baseball games?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    HB-31

"Providing that the prohibition on carrying or possessing a firearm, knife, or deadly weapon of any kind on public school property does not apply to a school resource officer who is assigned to a public school in Baltimore City and is on public school property in Baltimore City."

I guess they are going to ban lunch ladies and baseball games?

That’s because even SROs are banned from carrying a firearm inside of a school in Baltimore city. Only regular police officers can carry in a school.

Think on that. The officers assigned to guard schools can’t actually carry a firearm in a school. They are only allowed to carry a firearm outside of the school building itself when patrolling the grounds.

Also Baltimore city (council? School board?) just voted to continue the ban. So probably MGA will vote down the bill.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Define a container designed to prevent an unintended person from gaining access to it? I am all for safe storage. Is a locked ammo can sufficient? Because an ammo can with locking ability and a padlock on it is designed to prevent someone from gaining access to it. Or do they mean specifically a safe. Or is it in the eye of the DA or what counts?

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    So is this to get rid of pellet rifles in schools? I guess maybe some counties have pellet rifle happenings in schools. Certainly doesn't apply to MoCo, unless Poolsville still has rifle club.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/hb/hb0523f.pdf

What a shame!

There are several NJROTC detachments in the state and, to my knowledge, they all use .177 air rifles in competition. It’s been several years since my youngest started competing, but I recall several schools in SoMD, Annapolis, and here in FDRK county the detachment is now at TJHigh having moved from Linganore.

She views these early CMP sporter competitions as the catalyst to her shooting passion. She’s headed to a NCAA Div 1 program on an athletic scholarship to shoot. Plenty of kids get a safe introduction to the basics of safe firearm handling in these programs.

Time to call the legis-critters — again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I never knew there were lead free pellets, but apparently been around a long time. From quick reading, one German company makes them out of tin, and are reported accurate. No idea how tin reacts with barrel. I think lead pellets may have an edge with accuracy from what I'm reading.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Looks like there was a last minute gun bill dump. Nice to see they don't hold their fire for election years anymore

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I never knew there were lead free pellets, but apparently been around a long time. From quick reading, one German company makes them out of tin, and are reported accurate. No idea how tin reacts with barrel. I think lead pellets may have an edge with accuracy from what I'm reading.

Those are the accurate non-lead pellets. For people who think faster is better, there are light weight aluminum pellets as well. I don't think any of the aluminium pellets are worth using due to poor quality control.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Howdy, All. Yesterday I saw that the Repeat Firearms Offender Act had been proposed in the Maryland House and the Senate. The link to the proposed legislation is here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/hb/hb0236F.pdf. I posted the following in an inappropriate string, so I'm going to put it here where I think it should go. Bear with me, my skills aren't great in this stuff.

The proposed law is interesting in that it stipulates minimum sentencing times of five to ten years for those using firearms in the commission of a "crime of violence" or a "felony" as defined by Maryland law. On its face it allows the law to put away violent criminals (who use firearms during the commission of their felonies) for five or more years, and it limits judicial ability to reduce the sentence (I think.)

But- I am not sure about the extent of the Maryland definition of felony, though. For example, if the legislature passes legislation this year that says mere possession of X type of magazine or firearm is a felony in itself, could this proposed legislation expose many currently lawful firearm owners to considerable risk? That is, possession of X is a commissioned felony, and oh, btw, the possession of X also happens to mean that the charged person is deemed to have used X is the commission of the original felony of possession. Therefore, five years, and no sentence reduction possible. This is close to double jeopardy, but in Maryland I have no doubt some prosecutors would try to do this.

I'm not a lawyer, but is this initial assessment anything close to correct? Because if it is and this legislation passes along with other laws restricting possession of X, whatever that may be, = not good. One could be a legal firearm owner today, a law abiding, non-violent person and could then become a felon in October, with a risk of a minimum of five years for that act of possessing what is legal today.

For purposes of my comment, I'm more concerned about how this law could be used against those who legally own and possess X firearm today and who are also NOT using them in criminal endeavors (i.e. law abiding firearm owners,) and if that legal ownership or possession could be construed as a felony later this year. A felony with a minimum sentence of five years. I just don't know enough about local law to determine if this is a possible or likely scenario.

Thoughts, anyone? And pardon my ignorance if I'm reading this one incorrectly.

I don't believe that possession of an unloaded mag could be construed as a "Using a firearm in commission" of a violent crime or felony. To me , in order to trigger this proposed law one would have to first commit a violent crime or violent felony. Of course, this I Maryland, common sense is often defined differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom