• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I saw on the same application for Curios and Relics it asks if you intend to use your license ONLY to acquire firearms to enhance your personal collection?

If you check 01 and Pay $200 and say you only want to enhance your collection then you could get anything sent to your home (once licensed) including NFA items?

I assume that 01 is a bit tougher to get then 03. And changing your mind later to do transfers would probably require an "update" of some sort?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    A lot more complicated than you might think.

To my understanding for the ATF to approve you you'll need a properly zoned business address (or special exception/variance in place) for the 01.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    If you say you only want to enhance your personal collection, they will deny an application for an 01. They only approve those for business uses. There are still plenty of home based 01s (and 07s), but they actually need to intend to do business stuff with it.

I believe 01s can receive NFA items interstate on a Form 4, but they need the SOT status (Class III in the case of an 01) to receive NFA items tax free like on a Form 3.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Woo... a lot of stuff here.

A C&R License and a regular FFL are two very different things.

So assume we are only talking C&R License.

You pay the normal amount... $30 for 3 years.

Now any C&R NFA item can be shipped directly to you on a Form 4 (or Form 5).

This does not exempt you from the $200 tax per item. It does not exempt you from the near year wait right now.

That said, once your time is up and the Form 4 is approved, it can ship direct to your door.

I know.... I have had several MGs shipped direct to me. Its the way of the future as far as NFA transfers goes. With the 1986 cutoff of NFA registration... in 2036, all MGs will be C&R and there will be no reason to use a dealer to transfer them. I had a Form 4 Chauchat French MG show up on my front pouch last friday!

That all said, C&R is only for Personal Collection, you are NOT a dealer.

A dealer license is very different and will require several more steps.

Either way, it does not let you around much.... just the use of a dealer in the transfer... so it saves a few bucks and time... no need to form 3 or 4 the gun to your dealer which can add a bit of time.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    we need to become friends if you are having MG'S delivered ! LOL

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    we need to become friends if you are having MG'S delivered ! LOL

We have a club for it... come on out to a MDTCA shoot at the AGC. I would bet I am around 200 people having shot my MGs.

Lets see, I have picked up a MG08/15, 2x MG08s, a Chauchat, and a Jap Type 96 on a C&R license. One of them was in person, the rest were delivered to my door. Fedex is the best if you ask me, even if they did lose my MG08/15 for 24hrs. Its funny how you tell them they have 24hrs to find it or you are calling the ATF that a Machine is missing... they find it fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom