What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    jmorris, you make some cool stuff.

the most dangerous way to do it even though the guy thinks its fast
    I counted up the time it took to load, cut and dump to be 40 seconds for 10 cases.
    (4 seconds per case is about what I was doing it w/ the HF cutter)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukwy3Y7p4Jg

For us small time folks, the HF cutter and the ebay/amazon case jig is pretty widely used.
    https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-300-B...TF8&qid=1484165718&sr=8-1&keywords=300blk+jig

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Very basic, humble start - 126 sorted, tumbled 308 brass for first attempt

Attachments

• IMG_3469.jpg
      IMG_3469.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 303

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    jmorris, you make some cool stuff.

the most dangerous way to do it even though the guy thinks its fast
    I counted up the time it took to load, cut and dump to be 40 seconds for 10 cases.

Thank you, the fellow that taught me a lot of what I know was a machinist on an aircraft carrier is WWII, he had a unique ability to make what he needed from what he had and that followed my train of thought as well. He only had 9 1/2 fingers when we met because he lost 1/2 of one making shelves for his wife on a table saw. I took from that, you could spend your life around equipment that can rip your arm off and beat you with it but if you become complacent, even little things can hurt you.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I haven't reloaded a round in over a month. Why? Because it's been freezing cold in my garage. :ohnoes:

Besides, during the spring and summer I'm like the ant in the fable. I reload my firearm food during the reloading season. By fall's harvest I'm well stocked with plenty of firearm food to see me through the winter...

:D

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I haven't reloaded a round in over a month. Why? Because it's been freezing cold in my garage. :ohnoes:

Besides, during the spring and summer I'm like the ant in the fable. I reload my firearm food during the reloading season. By fall's harvest I'm well stocked with plenty of firearm food to see me through the winter...

:D

Hmm, the opposite of me in a number of ways. My reloading bench is in the insulated part of my house, so during the months where the temperature is pleasant I am outdoors, and during the cold/rainy times I restock my inventory.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Hmm, the opposite of me in a number of ways. My reloading bench is in the insulated part of my house, so during the months where the temperature is pleasant I am outdoors, and during the cold/rainy times I restock my inventory.

His wife won't let him put it in the house.:D He needs to do what I did, when I moved mine upstairs my wife threw a half a fit so I slapped her around until she saw it my way.:innocent0
    Then I woke up.:lol2:
    But actually mines upstairs in a spare bedroom so all is warm.:party29:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thank you, the fellow that taught me a lot of what I know was a machinist on an aircraft carrier is WWII, he had a unique ability to make what he needed from what he had and that followed my train of thought as well. He only had 9 1/2 fingers when we met because he lost 1/2 of one making shelves for his wife on a table saw. I took from that, you could spend your life around equipment that can rip your arm off and beat you with it but if you become complacent, even little things can hurt you.

My grandfather was a machinist at the Philadelphia Naval Ship Yard for 45 yrs. I know what you mean about being able to make what you needed to get the job done from the tools and supplies available. He lived his life that way. He was an avid reloader too.

Also I know what you mean about being complacent. I lost a finger 12yrs ago. Im lucky I didn't loose my whole hand. Anytime I use a saw or router I remind myself I can just as easily cut off another one.

Just a friendly reminder. Be careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I ordered 1000 147gr 9mm bullets and 50 .40 cal bullets. They should be here Saturday, so I can go shoot some on Monday. The .40s are 180gr and 200gr hardcast lead. I'm going to crono them and compare the 200s to the Double-Tap 200s I got a few years ago. Those Double-Tap bullets were $$$, hopefully the Badman Bullets will be better.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    i don't load in winter because of chance static electricity due to dry air. not many sparks in the garage but i do have rubber flooring so why chance it.

If you are really paranoid, you can get anti static wrist bands for $0.99. Some computer components even include one.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Loaded 98 rounds of competition 5.56 w/Nosler 69g HPBT projectiles. I measured COAL and about 80% were 2.259"-2.260" Hopefully I'll get some practice time on Sunday.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    His wife won't let him put it in the house.:D He needs to do what I did, when I moved mine upstairs my wife threw a half a fit so I slapped her around until she saw it my way.:innocent0
    Then I woke up.:lol2:
    But actually mines upstairs in a spare bedroom so all is warm.:party29:

:lol2: Mrs. J chokes on Hoppes fumes. Yeah, I'm fixin' to bring my reloading gear into the house! I'll get right on that! Who knows what those noxious fumes might do to four beagles and a basset!

But... I kinda wanna continue to have peace and harmony in my life. So maybe I'll keep on keeping on... :innocent0

:rofl:

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Loaded 98 rounds of competition 5.56 w/Nosler 69g HPBT projectiles. I measured COAL and about 80% were 2.259"-2.260" Hopefully I'll get some practice time on Sunday.

What powder are you using? I have had good success with RL15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom