• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    While waiting the "long haul" for my VA Non res ccw, I will be traveling back to NC to see family this summer. As a Western MD resident, can I open carry through Wv, VA, and NC? My research says yes, as long as I avoid the short list of large VA cities that do not permit open carry. I would prefer keeping in the holster in the car, but I should probably place on dash if pulled over?

Question 2: I will not support the state of MD by camping and vacationing in this state. Can I open carry in WV state parks and camp grounds? Thinking of doing blackwater falls and others near Western MD.

Thanks for helping a newbie, and I hope I didn't miss the answers in other threads. Thanks again!

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    I don't have a PA permit and will not be traveling thru PA. I don't understand how your question is relevant. Sorry....I am a newbie :-)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The easy answer is yes, you can OC . Several years ago, Virginia passed State Premption , with no grandfathering , so any previous local restrictions are not in force .

Virginia State Parks I'll have to double check , but National Forests are ok for OC , and good places for camping and outdoor recreation .

Meanwhile , if you are open to Redundency in Non-Res Permits ( imo a good thing) , New Hampshire is recognized by Va ( and most of eastern US) , and has quick turnaround , often single digit days .

In 2015 , I made multiple trips to NC , and as an experement OC'ed a full size pistol the whole time after crossing Potomac ( except for where all firearms prohibited ) . No problems or issues .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Not that you’d want to switch back and forth during a trip like that but you may CC in West Virginia without a permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I believe National Forests are under the purview of the Dept. of Agriculture but I think states get final say. Not 100 percent sure on that part. Someone can chime in and correct me if necessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I don't have a PA permit and will not be traveling thru PA. I don't understand how your question is relevant. Sorry....I am a newbie :-)

Just because you CAN OC doesn't mean you SHOULD. Use common sense.

And as far as putting your weapon on the dash if pulled over, I don't advise that; it can be misinterpreted as hostile too easily. Again, use common sense.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Just because you CAN OC doesn't mean you SHOULD. Use common sense.

And as far as putting your weapon on the dash if pulled over, I don't advise that; it can be misinterpreted as hostile too easily. Again, use common sense.

eh, i don't get why we get all upset over open carriers. to each their own, and it doesn't hurt to see folks exercising their rights. most folks don't even notice and at least some of those that do just think you're LEO.

as to removing or touching or anything else like that, once you see lights in your mirror, just pull over and put your hands on the wheel. cops see you moving and digging around and will naturally get tense. if they ask for i.d. etc, just tell them where it is (ie glovebox) and ask if you can reach for it before your hands come off the wheel. and if you have a gun in console or glovebox of course let them know that and ask how to handle that before you go reaching in there.

good luck and have fun!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Opps , my bad on the NF . The fast turnaround NH would still take care of the issue .

A handfull of states require the pistol on dashboard thing , but I've always shook my head , because it is so stupid , and counter productive to its presumed intentions .

Don't do it unless it is explicitly required by law .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My thoughts on OC are nuanced, and occasionally get me looks from both sides .

Most of the "advantages" of OC aren't really . The best bang for the buck for PR value in hostile areas are properly organized group activities .

In any given situation the " tactical advantage " is almost always starting concealed .

All that said ; almost all the time , the disadvantages are small enough for OC to be viable, and certainly OC is far preferable to unarmed .

Even greater situational awareness . At least some sort of retention. Discression in your activities/ behaviour

Ironically size of guns and mode of carry that generally would overlap with CC . ( Unless you actually are hunting in the woods, or attending a tactical operator convention .

Discretly done OC will be totally unnoticed by 99% of people 99% of the time .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When Ohio first had CCW , they required the dashboard thing for CC'ers . That was changed within a year or two.

I'll have to cruise thru Handgunlaw ( dot) us , but last time I browsed such things , a few States out West still had the dashboard thing for otherwise OC w/o Permit .

The only thing I can theorize for otherwise gun friendly states , is a misguided thought by some some legislators that the dashboard thing for pistols is parity for rifles and shotguns in a gun rack . But in environments where that state and adjacent states are Shall Issue , the practice would rarely occur in real life .

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Thanks for the tip about NH. It gives me all the states that I currently need. So easy...just fill out a page and send 100 bucks. I'll let you guys know how quickly it comes back. Sent on 5/15.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    eh, i don't get why we get all upset over open carriers. to each their own, and it doesn't hurt to see folks exercising their rights. most folks don't even notice and at least some of those that do just think you're LEO...

Nobody is getting upset. Just pointing out that you're perfectly free to walk across the Beltway at night, but don't be surprised if you get hit. There are many loons that will call the cops on someone carrying an umbrella because they think GUNZ ARE BAD.

I personally won't open carry. I'd rather avoid having a conversation with LE because some delusional menstruating teen called the cops on me.

Your choice entirely. :party29:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Just to say I have OC’d in many states and while occasionally getting a stare, I have never had the cops called on me. Most states that allow OC are culturally different than states that don’t allow it. I have OC’d in Old Town Alexandria and not even had a conversation about it.

This is just my experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom