Need help identifying some older rifles...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Hello all,

Relative of a friend reached out to me on some rifles that were passed down after his father's passing. This person is not particularly into guns and is wondering what they are and the estimated value. Before you ask, yes, I'm going to try talk them into keeping them in the family, but not sure how successful I'll be...

None of these rifles are modern or "run of the mill", so I'm a little out of my wheelhouse. Appears to be a lot of older bolt guns, some which are military (VZ 24, Swedish Mauser) and some appear to have been unfortunately sporterized (pretty sure one of them is an Arisaka). I've been able to identify some of them but others I just don't know from the pictures. Pretty sure all of them fall into the C&R category :D

Would appreciate any input you have on identification and estimated value. I'll create separate posts for each rifle. Will probably be ~10 in total.

Hopefully this will be fun for some of you... I know I had fun running down some of the ones that I could based on their markings.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    First Rifle:

This is one that I really have no idea on - it almost looks like some kind of sporterized military bolt gun but I could definitely be wrong. Probably something obvious that I'm missing on trying to figure it out...

ylIFKfK.jpg

akyQet0.jpg

rJcz78s.jpg

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Looks like a sporterized M1903 Springfield. The discolored area on the barrel ahead of the receiver ring was where the old sight collar was.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Looks like a sporterized M1903 Springfield. The discolored area on the barrel ahead of the receiver ring was where the old sight collar was.

Sure looks like a 1903 to me

Ha, I think that you two are right!!! Of course, I missed what should have probably been an obvious one.

Any markings?

The only marking I have is the SN. Since it's not my rifle, I'm hesitant to put the full SN out there.

Here is a PIC of partial SN. Based on some googling, it looks like a 1918 manufacture year?

fnLHmet.png

Anyone feel comfortable putting a value on it? Auction houses show a wide range... lots of nicer looking ones in the $500+ range but they appear to be much later date of manufacture. Not sure how much that impacts value.

Man, such a shame that this was sporterized... :sad20:

Built2Grind

Dec 9, 2017
    Eastern Shore
    C stock sent to Valhalla long ago. Drilled and tapped for rear aperture sight. Could be some interesting things associated with any remaining marks on the stock or barrel that cant be seen in the pics. Good deer gun now as long as the drill and tap is solid.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks everyone for the responses so far! I'm awaiting more pictures being sent to me direct (I've only seen them on my buddy's phone).

Spoiler alert: based on my notes from seeing the original pictures, this is what I think the rest are:
    1. 3x, VZ24 Czech Mausers - one with "1924" on receiver and one with "BRNO" on receiver
    2. Swedish Gevarsfaktori G 33/50 Mauser
    3. Sporterized Arisaka
    4. H&R Shikari Rifle in 45/70, which appears to be in beautiful condition
    5. Alex Hoyer Custom Rifle in 7mm with Zeiss Zielvier scope
    6. Nylon 66 Apache Black Chrome, which appears to be in beautiful condition
    7. JC Higgins Semi Auto .22 - Not sure what model

Hopefully you all will be able to confirm/correct my thoughts as I get the pics.

Will keep updating as I receive them...

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Second Rifle

I originally thought this was a VZ24 Mauser but I don't know for sure. After doing some digging, maybe its a Serbian Mauser?

7vAaL8Y.jpg

fagaxCl.jpg

rOEl2Cv.jpg

wn6oHNo.jpg

tPSlmiU.jpg

Confirmation/correction appreciated. I know value can vary greatly but any ballpark figures would also be appreciated.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Third Rifle

This one is the Swedish G33/50.

Looks to be in pretty good condition. Seems like these are less desirable than regular Swedish Mausers but I dont see a lot of them on auction sites to get pricing. The one I do see has a $700 starting price with no bids...

HIsVt0s.jpg

pKGuusX.jpg

ed08e13.jpg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Second Rifle

I originally thought this was a VZ24 Mauser but I don't know for sure. After doing some digging, maybe its a Serbian Mauser?

Confirmation/correction appreciated. I know value can vary greatly but any ballpark figures would also be appreciated.

Yugoslavian M1924, either made by FN or under license at the factory at Kragujevac (check sidewall markings). The bolt handle doesn't look to be a 1924. It might be an Ottoman contract M1903 bolt. Check the markings to confirm. The 1924 bolts should have a crown acceptance mark. I'm not sure if the side mounted rear swivel makes it a different variant from the regular 1924 or of it was done later. Is there a patched spot on the bottom of the stock?

Third Rifle

This one is the Swedish G33/50.

Looks to be in pretty good condition. Seems like these are less desirable than regular Swedish Mausers but I dont see a lot of them on auction sites to get pricing. The one I do see has a $700 starting price with no bids...

I've seen a few of those Interarms G33/50s move for around $500.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Would you mind posting or PMing the full SN of the M1903?

Lots of M1903s went to the USN and USMC in that SN range. It's a long shot but might be worth while.

I've got one that went to the carrier USS Saratoga and another that went to the USS California in the early 1 million range.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    It looks like a much nicer collection than what you usually see when a non gun person has questions about guns that they inherited. It just seems so strange to me that someone's father would have a nice collection of rifles and yet they know nothing about them.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Swedish M/94-14 Carbine. Very popular. I've seen some heated bidding wars over these. One of the few Swedish Mausers I don't have in the arsenal. Last time I paid attention to one of these in an auction it went for $800 and I'd swag the condition was poorer than this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom