• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Looking for lower build kit recommendations for my SBR build. Lower is spikes with 11.5" Colt Commando carbine upper. Will need a butt stock, and buffer/tube that will cycle reliably. Let me know if there's a best bang for your buck option (kit or piece together) or if what Brownells or PSA offers are good options. Looking to spend 150-175, Thanks in advance

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    As far as the buttstock goes, if I ever make an SBR I'll be using MFT Minimalist stock. Love the design. On both my ARs I use a generic milspec I got from Brownells.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Just a note on the MFT, it is very slightly shorter than a Houge or other standard stock. With a 11.5 inch barrel this won't matter but with a 10.5 inch barrel you will struggle to get to the 29 inch OAL.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Buy which ever one you think will fit your style the best. With a barrel length of 11.5 inches, you shouldn't have any issues meeting the 29 inch minimum.

Good Luck!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Standard mil/spec carbine buffer tube, Tubb's 'Flat wire' action spring, standard carbine buffer(for now), End plate with sting attachment points. Slap on any stock that lights you up.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Standard mil/spec carbine buffer tube, Tubb's 'Flat wire' action spring, standard carbine buffer(for now), End plate with sting attachment points. Slap on any stock that lights you up.

OK thanks, I was concerned that a standard carbine buffer wouldn't operate reliably. Shooting for grey furniture however not too many options out there besides magpul with this color scheme. I do like the minimalist stock as HordesOfKailas suggested but only black and FDE colors available. Now to find a build kit that includes everything minus the Grip and butt stock.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I buy my sh!t one piece at a time. That way I know what I'm getting. I might buy 'splash kits' and 'pin kits', but otherwise, I buy reliable individual parts. It's the only way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I buy my sh!t one piece at a time. That way I know what I'm getting. I might buy 'splash kits' and 'pin kits', but otherwise, I buy reliable individual parts. It's the only way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've built a complete AR pistol and rifle and an upper, so like 2.5 AR-15s. I did a pair of lower kits, a PSA and a Stoner. They worked well. My next one I am likely to buy it piece by piece. I will probably buy a buffer tube kit, but everything else I'll probably buy piece by piece.

It is somewhat more expensive, but the same cost or slightly less than buying a kit and then replacing half the parts in it.

Better trigger, better springs, better mag release, better retaining pins, etc.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    OK thanks, I was concerned that a standard carbine buffer wouldn't operate reliably. Shooting for grey furniture however not too many options out there besides magpul with this color scheme. I do like the minimalist stock as HordesOfKailas suggested but only black and FDE colors available. Now to find a build kit that includes everything minus the Grip and butt stock.

According to MidwayUSA, it comes in gray.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...malist-stock-collapsible-ar-15-lr-308-polymer

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom