• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Full disclosure: A friend and I are helping a widow with her late husband's collection. Obviously we want to be fair. We have been entrusted with a Francotte (another thread), and this Bayard side by side we could use some help on, which will need a new home.

It has an extremely slight wobble when closed, and the breech lever is noticeably left. It does NOT appear to me to have Damascus barrels. The stock and engraving is very nice. Best I can tell it has 2 1/2" chambers. If I can help with any additional photos or info, let me know. (Sorry for the pics, I had to take them on my desk at work)

Any information, advice, value is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• B20-1.JPG
      B20-1.JPG
      38.2 KB · Views: 263
    • B20-2.JPG
      B20-2.JPG
      29.7 KB · Views: 271
    • B20-3.JPG
      B20-3.JPG
      27 KB · Views: 264
    • B20-4.JPG
      B20-4.JPG
      39.1 KB · Views: 260
    • B20-5.JPG
      B20-5.JPG
      29.6 KB · Views: 261
    • B20-6.JPG
      B20-6.JPG
      48.6 KB · Views: 258

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Holy moly is that a hodgepodge of Belgian proofs. Please use a flash, or light the proofs a bit better next time, it's hard to make a bunch of them out.

From what I can see here though, it's not a 20ga, it's a 16ga. That's what the diamond around the 16C means. It's both black powder proofed and Nitro proofed. The "Choke" with the fraction next to it giving barrel constriction is a mark that occurred from 1910 to 1924 and the "a" stamp puts it at 1922 for manufacturing. One interesting thing I'm seeing though is that the "star-over-S" is the inspection mark for Charles Daenen who operated from 1952-1968 and again from 1974-1980. The other interesting thing I see is that the lion rampant over P.V mark which indicates nitro proofing is also a later version of the mark which according to a file from the NRA, is post 1924. This makes me believe that you have a 1922 gun that was sent back for proofing post 1924, likely sometime between '52 and '68.

There's still a slight chance for twist barrels at that date of manufacture, but it's unlikely. I'd look for areas of worn blue to see if you can make out any patter.

As to value, similar style (engraved silver receiver) but in 12ga with better lockup is going for $395 over at Simpson LTD. I'd work off that and down a little. 16ga helps it in value, but it being loose on lockup and likely off-face definitely hurts it. I'm going to say $200, but that's just a WAG on my part.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    No problem. Good, sharp pictures of all the stuff on the barrels and the flats is the most important part. There could be some telling marks there that I just can't make out now. But I'm 99% sure this is a re-proofed gun, which is neat.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Sounds like you got what you needed here. Great! Missed this thread until today.

I DID get your messages. My apologies for not getting back to you. Had my hands full this weekend with home projects and I was scarce. I am grateful for your input (and other's input).

I will have some more detailed pictures up by Wednesday, can't get to the gun until tomorrow.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    yep its a 16 gauge not a 20. Based on the date code in the proofs it was built in 1922. It has steel barrels and short chambers and should not be shot with high pressure ammo, probably why it is loose. When you decide on a price, I am probably a buyer, I have its brother in 12 gauge

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom