• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    Who has one? Do you like it.
    I had a 550, didnt like the manual indexing.

I currently have a Hornady LNL.

The 1050 will be a dedicated to 9 mm

I am looking at the 1050 because of the way you prime. Everything is done on the downward pull.

I know it only has a 1 year warranty. Not concern about that.

Just want some feedback on the machine before I drop that much cash on one.

TIA

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    We have one. I set it up but the #2 son uses it. Setting it up was a pain if I remember correctly, was about twenty years ago. Son loads 45s and 9s on it. He claims 600 per hour on a good day. No issues.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I did a lot of research and comparison between the 1050 and 650 before I jumped into the progressive reloading game. The biggest advantage (to me) of the 1050 was the extra station would allow for in-process swaging. If you are going to reload a ton on once fired 223 or 308 this will save time. There are two big downsides to the 1050...cost of caliber change kits and the time it takes to change those calibers out.

In the end, I chose the 650 and think I made the right choice. As far as the swaging, I picked up a swage it (I think thats what it's called) and only use the progressive for case prep. I decided that I couldn't make high volume 223 cheap enough to justify the time so I only load lower quantity precision rounds which benefit from being loaded by hand on a single stage. I do use the 650 to decap, swage, and trim 300 blkout rounds which is a huge cost saver. I already have to do a separate case prep run for 300 blkout because of the trimming so the 650 does everything I need.

As far as swapping calibers, I can be back up and running in a new caliber in 10 min if I don't have to swap out the priming system. If I have to change the primer size it jumps to 20 min.

One thing to note is that I can easily put out 500+ rounds an hour through my 650. The highest volume round that I load is 9mm and I usually do batches of 5000 over a weekend or over several evenings. With a few enhancements (bearings and lighter springs) I time myself and usually punch out 100 in under 8 min. I bought a bunch of primer tubes so I load them up with a handheld vibrating loader in batches of 10 so that I can just top off the primers and bullet tray and jump right back into loading 100 at a time. I can do 357 almost as quickly and 44 mag is limited only by how long my arm holds up as it takes a little more force.

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    I have a pair of 1050s as long as you are not switching primer sizes, caliber conversions are a 10 minute swap. The machines are great and Dillon still takes care of you despite the lack of warranty at least in my experience. If you can afford a 1050 you won't be sorry you bought it.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I have a few, I automated my 9mm one years ago before anyone sold anything like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFhnDQ-eUU

Came across a smoking deal on a Mark 7 pro 1050 in .223 awhile that’s a nice setup as well. They certainly minimize any time concerns. I can load ammunition for a match while doing the laundry and washing the dishes, just stop by the reloading room a couple of times to top them off and hit the start button again.

That said I can load 100 9mm on a 650 in under 4 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If someone would like to rent use of a 9mm 1050 sometime, I have a LOT of once fired mil brass I would like to process (not necessarily load, but deprime/swage).

I can pay in cash or brass. :D

awhite

Oct 30, 2013
    I personally own and use a dillon 650, absolutely love this machine. I have had it for 20 years and will never part with it. Currently load alot of handgun calibers and some rifle. local dillon sales person always said the 1050 was a pain to set up. I have picked up other machines over the years from people getting rid of them. The square B was not that nice, odd size dies, 550 was ok but cant compete with my 650. As far as dillon they stick by everthing, the square b had some damaged parts and they replace all of them for free. Whatever you buy from dillon you will love it. It nothing to crank out 500 to 600 rounds of 40 in a hour. Enjoy whitchever one you buy.

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    I love all three of mine, but I have had issues with the case collators.
    All of mine are used and Dillon happily has done replacement/repair work on them over the last 15 years.
    One of the sales folks say they can tell a COMMERCIAL machine when it comes in.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Same here. I have had my 650 since the about 94.

They still send me parts when I call.

I should send it back for a rebuild (actually replacement) as mine is so old, there are no way to grease the links. So I just oil them and keep on loading.

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    Talking about free repair/replacement on my three 1050s with Dillon. I was more than happy with my L-N-L, until a 1050 practically feel in my lap ($800 with four toolheads and caliber conversion for about six cartridges).
    One of my three came completely disassembled to bare bones and I had to figure it out. Think I took it into Dillon store once for something I couldn't figure out.
    The only thing they don't cover is when I thought I lost a piece.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Dillon CS has sent me replacement stuff a few times. There was the time I destroyed the LP magazine tube plastic tip and I called Dillon up and asked if I could buy a few, the guy asked how many I needed and I said 2. He tossed 3 LP and 3 SP tips into a bag for me and sent them out no charge.

I've called Dillon CS for help with something and they will take care of you, this I can personally attest to.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dillon CS has sent me replacement stuff a few times. There was the time I destroyed the LP magazine tube plastic tip and I called Dillon up and asked if I could buy a few, the guy asked how many I needed and I said 2. He tossed 3 LP and 3 SP tips into a bag for me and sent them out no charge.

I've called Dillon CS for help with something and they will take care of you, this I can personally attest to.

My tubes originally had all white tips, both small and large.

When they came out with the color coded ones, I called to order some, and they just sent them to me. 10 each.

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    I have a 1050 with Mr. Bullet Feeder, and I like it. I also have a RF 100 to go with it.

I liked the press fine with out the Mr. Bullet Feeder, but the MBF allows me to watch what's going on more, I guess, instead of watching and getting another bullet onto the case. When I was manually feeding the bullets, I only looked at the case after the powder dropped. With MBF, it allows me to look at more stations in the same amount of time, which can be helpful.

The RF 100 allows me to keep cranking out rounds uninterrupted. When I load, I often load 1000 rds at a time. Some of my friends prefer to load 200-300 at a time, so your reloading style determines whether the RF 100 will be useful for you or not. I like to load a lot and not reload for a period. My friends that load in 200-300 round batches, obviously reload more often, sometimes weekly, whereas I may not reload again for a month.

I meant to load 9mm and .223 with it, but so far have only loaded 9mm. It's the only press I've ever owned so I can't compare it to any other. Like you, I got the 1050 because I didn't want to hand swage. That being said, I don't know how big of a deal crimped brass is since I know plenty of high volume shooters who use the 650 and have no issues. My guess is because where we are getting the brass from, that is from matches, the brass has mostly already been reloaded once before and the crimp previously removed.

We are not getting brass from an indoor range, for example, where the likely hood of once fired brass is probably higher.

The biggest downside to the 1050 is price. Not sure if it has good value. I have not made back my investment back. That being said, it produces good bullets IMO. Although I do sometimes run into problems with 1050, it seems like when I get it set, it produces consistent great bullets. Anecdotally, some of my other friend's presses who do not have 1050s seem to require a lot of fiddling, that interferes with them making a long run of bullets. Like I said, I have had problems with 1050 too, but it's not every time. I can get long runs of rounds with no problems. Some of my friends can't make 100 rounds without having to fiddle with something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom