• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Hello, everyone! I've been working on designing and prototyping a kit that would convert a Magpul Moe stock (commercial size) into one that in addition to being a collapsible stock, has a collapsible buttpad. In theory, this should extend your OAL significantly. I have attached a couple of pics to help give an example of my design. I've been working on it for a couple months now and there's still much more to do, mainly in selecting the material and designing a locking mechanism. This design will have many uses such as increasing OAL, giving the user a finer level of adjustment, and slightly increasing the friction between the stock and buffer tube which will eliminate that little bit of rattle we all hate. My question for everyone is, if I got this thing finished and ready to go, would there be anyone interested in purchasing one? I look forward to hearing what everyone here has to say!

-Collector98

Side note: this is an SBR with a 10.5" barrel, so with this kit attached, you could go down to a 5.5" barreled SBR if you wanted to, as the OAL would be the measurement of the rifle with non-permanent muzzle devices removed and the stock fully extended

Attachments

• 20200912_155141.jpg
      20200912_155141.jpg
      63.3 KB · Views: 649
    • 20200912_154308.jpg
      20200912_154308.jpg
      88.5 KB · Views: 650

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Very interesting. I have thought about this concept a few times but never took the time to figure out how to do it. This would make my SBR fun again!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Ya know what? I only own a couple “high power” pistols (a PSA AR 10” (iirc :-/ a Galil5.56 a Century Arms x39 and I may be missing one) but, and depending on the price, I’m gonna say I’m in simply outta respect for the fact that you’ve been working in this for a couple months ... I admire the hell outta tenacity! (Besides, having the brace will be THE perfect excuse to get another pistol!!!! Any idea how soon you’ll know a ballpark $ figure ...

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    It's awesome seeing such a positive response! As far as the time frame, I'm only a couple months into designing and just recently 3d printed some prototype parts, but now that I actually have a 3d printer of my own (bought it last week), the design process should progress much more quickly. For the price, I'm going to ballpark in the range of $35-$50, but it depends on my material cost and how much work I would have to put into the kit before sending it off to you. I'll try to keep this page updated as often as I can so everyone can see the progress. At some point, I'll probably be sending out a couple of free prototypes, as that will allow me to have some user feedback while giving a couple people, what should be, a close to finished product.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's awesome seeing such a positive response! As far as the time frame, I'm o a vouple months in to designing and just recently 3d printed some prototype parts, but now that I actually have a 3d printer of my own (bought it last week), the design process should progress much more quickly. For the price, I'm going to ballpark in the range of $35-$50, but it depends on my material cost and how much work I would have to put into the kit before sending it off to you. I'll try to keep this page updated as often as I can so everyone can see the progress. At some point, I'll probably be sending out a couple of free prototypes, as that will allow me to have some user feedback while giving a couple people, what should be, a close to finished product.
    I'll even pay for a prototype.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    . . . For the price, I'm going to ballpark in the range of $35-$50, but it depends on my material cost and how much work I would have to put into the kit before sending it off to you. I'll try to keep this page updated ...

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, dude, I am definitely in!

So you have designed something just to skirt Maryland's gun safety laws?

I'm in.

:lol: :thumbsup: :cool:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    . . . Side note: this is an SBR with a 10.5" barrel, so with this kit attached, you could go down to a 5.5" barreled SBR if you wanted to, as the OAL would be the measurement of the rifle with non-permanent muzzle devices removed and the stock fully extended

Haha, what a coincidence! I was trying to wrap my mind around a 5.5” bbl when I passed through my Inbox and see this article sent from Greg Ellifritz!

The Backpack Gun Project: https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-backpack-gun-project/

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    If it can also adapt to the superior CTR stock, I might be interested. The CTR has a superior locking device and a QD socket for a sling swivel. The MOE lacks these useful features, which is why I don't use them.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Depending on the price I may be in also. It would make a great Christmas present for my friend that is 6,8” and has an can’t find a long enough stock for his rifle to shoot comfortably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom