• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I have lengths of galvanized conduit between 2x4 supports I attached to the beds. About 7’ off the bed tops. I dropped string down from these for tomatoes, cucs, beans. I will see how the weight distributes in a month I suppose. I tried this with string across supports last year and it sagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedfreak

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 16, 2021
    It depends on the variety. In general the rule of thumb is to plant bush beans when you want a lot of beans to ripen at the same time for processing like canning or freezing. If you want an extended harvest plant pole beans because if you keep picking them as they ripen new beans will keep growing until frost.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried freezing green beans and only ending up with disappointing mushy beans. I tied blanching, not blanching, vacuum packs, etc. etc. Still mushy beans!

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have Florida weave on my peppers, works great! Tomatoes are another story-right now they are supported by a welded wire panel, weaker then a cattle panel. It’s working but they are a little more crowded then I’d like.

Thanks for the info on the panels, I hadn’t priced them out yet. They last a long time and are sturdy so I think they are still worth that price jump.

I mount the panels like 18" up off the ground. So you got over 6' of growth height before they hang. Sometimes I have to use those plastic clips to get them started in the bottom of the panel. Amazon has them for growing tomatoes up a string.

Prepper_76

Jul 4, 2021
    I have lengths of galvanized conduit between 2x4 supports I attached to the beds. About 7’ off the bed tops. I dropped string down from these for tomatoes, cucs, beans. I will see how the weight distributes in a month I suppose. I tried this with string across supports last year and it sagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen a few YouTube channels showing this method with conduit and they say the same, that it can sag. They suggested putting in supports closer together, so maybe it’s something you can try. I wonder if you could support the conduit by sliding rebar in? Not sure if that would make it to heavy, just a thought.

Prepper_76

Jul 4, 2021
    I mount the panels like 18" up off the ground. So you got over 6' of growth height before they hang. Sometimes I have to use those plastic clips to get them started in the bottom of the panel. Amazon has them for growing tomatoes up a string.

I’ll look for those clips, I’ve never used them but could be useful on heavier plants. I typically just use a cheap jute or cotton string. At the end of that plants life I just clip it all away and if any goes into the compost it’s ok.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I can't tell you how many times I've tried freezing green beans and only ending up with disappointing mushy beans. I tied blanching, not blanching, vacuum packs, etc. etc. Still mushy beans!

Did you try spreading them out thinly on cookie sheets and freezing them first then putting in containers?

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Well,
    I now have a dozen air layering globes setup. Three on my English walnut tree, three on my Pear, three on my cherry tree, and three on my blue berries.

Let’s see how this effort goes.

Attachments

• 9F5B317F-B7AD-40DC-AEA8-725CCFF15FA9.jpg
      9F5B317F-B7AD-40DC-AEA8-725CCFF15FA9.jpg
      114.7 KB · Views: 195
    • ACE287D0-70B4-4577-BC93-090A8BC730D5.jpg
      ACE287D0-70B4-4577-BC93-090A8BC730D5.jpg
      131.9 KB · Views: 180

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    So my pear tree turns out to be grafted at the roots. I have two shoots from the roots. One has beautiful pears and is doing well. The other has these bastard little balls on it and is a total loss.

Attachments

• F31CC88D-909A-4481-9FC8-198ECB3B7249.jpg
      F31CC88D-909A-4481-9FC8-198ECB3B7249.jpg
      87.5 KB · Views: 182

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Well,
    I now have a dozen air layering globes setup. Three on my English walnut tree, three on my Pear, three on my cherry tree, and three on my blue berries.

Let’s see how this effort goes.

Never heard of that even though it's apparently twice as old as Christianity. Pretty cool.

View attachment 317277
    So I do have enough sun for maters:party29:

My experience with non full sun tomatoes is the plants will get leggy but still bear fruit. Just takes a bit longer to ripen. My tomatoes are over 6 feet tall right now. Between those and the okra it's gonna be a jungle by next month.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    So my pear tree turns out to be grafted at the roots. I have two shoots from the roots. One has beautiful pears and is doing well. The other has these bastard little balls on it and is a total loss.

They look like they could be figs.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    20210714_170855.jpg
    So I get home late a week ago to find this. I text pics to a few friends then I go in for a closer look. I don't remember a mater being there and the vine it was on was broke off. So I start looking futher up the plant to see where it broke off then I see a wire holding it to the cage. My dickhead roommate put it there from safeway. He got me it was funny

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Skip one weekend of pruning and my cucumbers area out of control!

Attachments

• 5140F83F-A906-4718-80B7-2CFF910E6529.jpg
      5140F83F-A906-4718-80B7-2CFF910E6529.jpg
      148.2 KB · Views: 151

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    20210725_153324.jpg
    My first ( in decades) mater harvest. Had a lot of folks tell me to pick and let finish ripening in the house b4 something else eats it. I rolled the dice a it was delicious

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't have the room anymore for veggies, but I love my ornamentals.

Attachments

• after.jpg
      after.jpg
      240.8 KB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads