• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Ok guys, I need some school here.

MomOSix and I spent the weekend in a cabin near the Deep Creek Hydro plant at the base of Hoyes Run Rd.

Nice little place, but I am sitting there, drinking a cold brew, watching a guy fly fishing, and pondering the flow of water.

So, I used to get Muddy Creek and Swallow Falls confused. Now I think I know the difference.

But it seems to me that the river is flowing South to North. If that Yough river originates somewhere north of me, way up in PA, why does it not flow North to South.

I can't figure it out! Was going to ask a trout fisherman, but I didn't want the lure he was casting to appear smarter than me.

DadOSix

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Yeah, it flows from somewhere in WV, roughly north, to McKeesport where it meets the Monongahela. Rivers flow downhill.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It is on the other side of the Eastern Continental Divide. It flows north/west and dumps into the Monongahela River. That water ends up in the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Aw ! I forgot all about the change in elevation!

No wonder I damn near failed geography!

Thanks guys.

If I had to guess I'd say 90% of Garrett county is west of the continental divide and flows that way, but I'm guessing but I'm probably close. And please don't mention the flush tax, definately a sore subject around these parts. :mad54:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If I had to guess I'd say 90% of Garrett county is west of the continental divide and flows that way, but I'm guessing but I'm probably close. And please don't mention the flush tax, definately a sore subject around these parts. :mad54:

You guys have flushers in yer outhouses? :toothless

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Was the place streams and dreams?

It was Cross The River on Taylor made.

Right down end of Hoyes Run Rd and Oakland Sang Run Rd.

There is a B&B nearby that offers fly fishing lessons. Didn't even know any of this was back there.
    ,<<. Just looked! Right around the corner Mike3888>.
    The property was a renovated cottage that was part of the Deep Creek Hydro project housing.

Nice scenery, a little smelly in the afternoon hours. Definite smell of sulfur in the breeze. No, it wasn't Hooligan gunpowder!

Bonus points to the bear who surfed MomOSix's van with big muddy prints!

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wading the "Yough" is like trying to walk on wet bowling balls. Especially above Swallow Falls.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Aw ! I forgot all about the change in elevation!

No wonder I damn near failed geography!

Thanks guys.

Well, lucky for you, MDS has a resident Geographer on staff. :D

Here let me "splain it to you"

Contour lines show the height above sea level, also known as "Elevation".

The first picture shows the river not to far from it's origin. Notice the elevation is roughly "2400".

Now take a look at the second picture, where the river is close to where it enters the lake in PA. The elevation is roughly 1500. That is a 900 foot drop. That is why it runs "north".

Attachments

• geog.jpg
      geog.jpg
      92.2 KB · Views: 295
    • geog1.jpg
      geog1.jpg
      86.5 KB · Views: 280

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Love the Yough. Just downstream of the Hydro thing where many were fishing, a friend and I, this was a very low water year. Many trails out there. I've crossed the Monangahela on horse back as a kid as well, much deeper and scary as a kid but thats what kids should do right? ... sorry just remembering good times and thought I'd throw in a pic for those who don't know the Yough.

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpg
      IMG_0297.jpg
      153.9 KB · Views: 260

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Brittanica says:

The Youghiogheny River, river rising in Preston county, W.Va., U.S., at Backbone Mountain, near the western edge of Maryland. It flows past Connellsville, Pa., to enter the Monongahela River at McKeesport, Pa., after a course of 135 miles (217 km). The Youghiogheny is the only river in western Maryland that does not flow south into the Potomac River.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Brittanica says:

The Youghiogheny River, river rising in Preston county, W.Va., U.S., at Backbone Mountain, near the western edge of Maryland. It flows past Connellsville, Pa., to enter the Monongahela River at McKeesport, Pa., after a course of 135 miles (217 km). The Youghiogheny is the only river in western Maryland that does not flow south into the Potomac River.

There are streams and creeks that are part of the Yough, but yes, it is the only river in Md West of the divide.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Wading the "Yough" is like trying to walk on wet bowling balls. Especially above Swallow Falls.

Funny u mention that, my inlaws have a house in the little village on the power plant road. I've got stuck guite a few times on other side when power plant was generating, sucks having to trek above the plant to cross. Have caught lots of fish outta there and Hoyes run.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Well not exactly, you're forgetting the Casselman River. It doesn't run into the Yough until Confluence Pa.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casselman_River
    I took a whitewater canoeing class at a school located on the Yough, just downriver from Confluence. The water was pretty decent temp wise until you got to mid stream, then it was cold as crap!! The water initially was naturally flowing out of the Casselman/Laurel Hill, the other side was coming out of bottom of The Yough Lake dam. It was like running into a wall crossing that thermocline.

BTW - Class was a blast, four full days of Class II river running (put in at camp in Confluence, take out in Ohiopyle above the falls.) Final was running the loop at Ohiopyle, where all the commercial rafting trips run. (Class III/IV).

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom