• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What are you guys (and any gals?) seeing for signs of the Rut? Think it may push off later this year with all the warm weather? Will that have any affect?

One doe has not been with its young one but not sure if a neighboring hunter took her already. I swear I saw it on the trail camera last weekend by itself at night. The one doe I had at the stand and could not get a shot was still with its fawn. Not seeing any transient bucks on camera at night yet.

I think it usually hits strong between Halloween and Thanksgiving correct?

Chevyman85

Feb 14, 2013
    DoCo
    Sikas have been at it hard last week or two. Had this one chasing hinds around the house for 2 weeks and got him Tues.

Attachments

• DE5CFF66-A0A3-4A2D-8DD8-4956EB10950E.jpeg
      DE5CFF66-A0A3-4A2D-8DD8-4956EB10950E.jpeg
      66.5 KB · Views: 799

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    In baltimore county I'm used to seeing it starting right around Halloween-ish. Of course they are not on a timer but generally speaking.... in my area it should be starting off shortly. Sadly I havent had the chance to get into the woods yet, so I'm basing this on previous years experience.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Rutting moon is Halloween night. Does will start coming into estrus between the second and third week of Nov. As for the bucks(the real ones), they always start cruising the same time every year, end of October.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I drive up I 83 towards PA every weekend ---I know for sure when the rut has started by the number of dead deer on side of road-not seeing that much roadkill yet--give it till Halloween

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Been hunting Carrol/Frederick county 1-2 times a week and checking cameras. The few bucks I've seen are just browsing. Started to notice some fresh scrapes in the last week or so.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    What are you guys (and any gals?) seeing for signs of the Rut? Think it may push off later this year with all the warm weather? Will that have any affect?

One doe has not been with its young one but not sure if a neighboring hunter took her already. I swear I saw it on the trail camera last weekend by itself at night. The one doe I had at the stand and could not get a shot was still with its fawn. Not seeing any transient bucks on camera at night yet.

I think it usually hits strong between Halloween and Thanksgiving correct?

Same scenario here. The fawns seem to be alone. Wouldnt be surprise if some does are already breeding. Rut is the peak. Plenty of deer getting bred before and after.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Dropped my daughter off at gymnastics and saw 2 little bucks playing around and then 2 bigger bucks came out in the field.

Not sure you'll be able to aee much from the phone pic though.

Attachments

• 20201031_083059.jpg
      20201031_083059.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 262
    • 20201031_083333.jpg
      20201031_083333.jpg
      121.8 KB · Views: 241

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I had two young bucks stop in for a bite...
    They are directly down wind of me.

Attachments

• 20201031_085215~2.jpg
      20201031_085215~2.jpg
      207.8 KB · Views: 237

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    No rut action for me so far. Does were hearded up yesterday (got one) at one spot, and no movement this morning at another spot.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Central Washington county, I killed one chasing a doe yesterday and my daughter saw a buck chasing a doe in a field off to the side of where she was hunting today.

Last edited:

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I watched two spikes and a 3pt chasing a doe this morning. Big boy was in the field early Tuesday and Thursday cruising but of course not now that I'm able to be out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I've been out 5 of the last 7 days. I have not seen ONE buck cruising. As a matter of fact, I've only seen one buck in that timeframe, and he was a spike working a rub. But he was very casual, and not in a hurry for anything. Trail camera pics are showing bucks together still. Maybe it's too hot? Hopefully action picks up more next week.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    My wife saw a large buck chasing a doe behind our pasture yesterday at noon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I noticed on the ride out to my hunting property this morning, a much higher number of roadkill and or blood trails from collision with deer than the past weeks have shown. I did see one spike cruise buy my stand at about 0830, which fits rutting behavior. Otherwise, this farm has been dead for me. I'm a bit handcuffed here as I'm new to this farm, hunting only does for crop damage, and limited to where I can go. I hope to eventually have my training wheels removed and post rut, being allowed to get after them.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Everyone is posting on social media about the rut and buck cruising...blah blah blah. Monday evening I hunted seen 11 does and 1 buck. He was a 1" spike buck and he chased a doe for just a little bit. Last evening I hunted seen 4 does and a decent 7 pt. He was with the one doe, but not really chasing just keeping an eye on her. I have started to get more pictures on my camera of bucks but it's 11pm-3am. Just to warm for the big boys yet I think, but I mainly hunt AG fields in Carroll and Frederick Counties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom