• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Fit and finish is really nice. Honestly haven't done much of anything with it. Waiting for an opportunity

Just got the big one and it handles really well. Fairly heavy forward which is almost unavoidable in a blade of this length but you can feel the momentum when you swing it. Also really like the spur!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Bringing this thread back. Got mine for Christmas from the wife! It's a hefty SOB. Haven't chopped anything with it yet but there's always tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20200101_220619.jpg
      20200101_220619.jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 446

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Bringing this thread back. Got mine for Christmas from the wife! It's a hefty SOB. Haven't chopped anything with it yet but there's always tomorrow.

That looks like mine! You'll love it. It's too heavy for machete tasks but just right for chopping.

The steel they use WILL discolor/rust quickly if not maintained, but I prefer the rust blued look anyway. Mine now looks like the peasant tool it was modeled after.

I also contoured the back grip "ring hump" a little. The full tang created a hot spot, at least on my hands. I wish I also had a rat tail to compare it to.

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    Just wanted to give an FYI to anyone who is thinking of ordering in the near future. I got an email today because I have one ordered for a friend. Nepal is pretty much on lockdown and there will be a delay in shipping and such because of it.

Andrew from Kailash here!
    We've had some recent changes to our operations due to COVID-19 and I'm sending out some info to keep you all updated.

In an attempt to suppress the spread of Coronavirus the Government of Nepal has initiated a lockdown of the country (22/03/20), which extends to school and bus closures but of particular note is a closure of its borders to both people and goods. There's currently no details on the duration, however given the pattern of the spread in other countries already and the level of response which have been necessary there it's likely that this may extend or at least impact the consistency of us shipping orders for a few months to come.

During this time the team will be following all government guidelines and will shut down operations if required. As of the 23rd, The government enacted a full shutdown of the country, with nobody going to work including banks and supermarkets etc. This is currently stated to be for 9 days however it's possible that this may be extended or reinstated further down the line. Outside of these peak periods of shutdown there'll likely be bans on any congregation of groups over a certain size. However due to the small number of people required to interact at Kailash's workshop and the expected downturn in knife orders we should be able to keep up with production demand. If the situation changes we'll keep you posted.

The amount of actual delay on orders from this is very unclear, but for orders like yours that we've already started on and will finish soon, we're looking at another month wait with that potentially extending out to three months depending on if the situation worsens and how strongly the government decides to act.
    It's very important to the livelihoods of our staff and our community that we continue taking and processing orders as normally as possible in these uncertain times, but we also understand that these increased wait times are outside of what were initially described when you went ahead and placed your order initially.
    If you have any concerns or are looking to discuss the situation further then just let me know and I'll address them as best as I can. If not then we'll keep on plugging away at orders when we can and keep you updated as the situation evolves.
    Thanks and take care,
    Andrew and the Team at Kailash Blades

Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    Here's anotheer update from Nepal:

Hey there guys,
    Andrew here with an update on Coronavirus in Nepal and the state of delays.

Border closures:
    It hasn't been announced that these international border and trade closures will last any longer than the 15th of April, however it's still not unlikely that it could be extended until the end of the month or further. The Nepalese economy as a whole isn't as affected by a complete shutdown of international trade as you might expect and they may consider the tradeoff worth it for ensuring no new infections coming in from overseas. We'll keep you posted as this progresses but unfortunately can't promise any dates right now.

Work Shutdown:
    Nepal has been in complete lockdown since the 23rd and will be until at least the 7th. This means total isolation, no leaving the house to go to work or to the shops or even walk the street. This has been a challenging situation for everyone but is also the strongest measure we have to halt the spread. This has obviously impacted our ability to process orders as we haven't been able to visit the workshop. The government is currently discussing extending this lockdown until the 15th and we think it's likely that this will be enforced as new cases are still occuring and people are only starting to show symptoms now. Even if these work stoppages were to be lifted from the 15th onwards, all of our blacksmiths are currently back in their local villages and there could be delays of up to a week before they're ready to return to Kathmandu. There's also the possibility of it extending further or being reinstated further down the track. Your order is at the very front of the line and was either finished or close to being finished before being shipped out. As a result we only need a few days of work and open shipping routes for us to get your order sent out, but it's currently unclear when this might happen. Once we can work again we'll return to sending out photo updates as normal as knives are worked on and completed, with shipping delay info inside of that.

Case Numbers and General Situation:
    Nepal currently has 9 recorded active cases, 0 deaths and 1 person who's recovered.
    Due to our proximity to China, mild controls have been put into place since the start of the year and we're further helped by our natural geographic isolation and our self sufficiency as a nation meaning we run a reduced level of international trade and travel. This has meant we've received less new international infections but also means we're well positioned to be able to close up borders for an extended period of time and not have our economy and lives damaged as much as many western nations. With how low our case numbers are, the severity of these lockdowns might seem like overkill. However this strong and early action puts us in the best position possible to stop exponential growth before it takes hold and keep our limited healthcare system from being overwhelmed. These cases only reflect those who have been confirmed and the resources we have available to perform widespread testing are limited. Nepal has a large amount of poverty, both in the cities and in isolated rural villages, both of which are areas where this virus could be spreading outside of the official eye. If it were to take hold in these sectors and begin to grow exponentially then we'd be much less equipped to handle such a crisis and the outcome would be tragic.

In general though the situation here is one of tenuous optimism. Many places in the world are in much worse positions than us and we've made great steps towards containing this pandemic within our own borders. Within a few weeks work and trade could resume and then we can turn our hands to finishing these orders, then helping others in need.
    In the timebeing, please follow all government guidelines on how to best behave to contain this pandemic. Try and keep as level headed as you can in these extremely difficult times and treat those around you with care. . Stay isolated, stay safe and care for your local community any way you can. Remember, your actions and personal health affects that of your local community, your country and in turn the globe.
    Take care and stay safe,
    Andrew and the team at Kailash Blades.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Good update. Just had mine out for oiling. May put "Devastator" on standby/emergency placement.

usa259

Mar 11, 2015
    Anybody have them do any custom etching on their knives? Like a name?

Yes, two. Can take pictures later. One knife will be presented as a sailing award. The other was for me, couldn't help myself. They came about a 6 weeks ago I let them sit for two weeks unopened. That was hard...

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Whew thought they bye bye. I need to order more shit from them, including the original one the OP purchased. Plus a Xiphos and a couple smaller

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yes, two. Can take pictures later. One knife will be presented as a sailing award. The other was for me, couldn't help myself. They came about a 6 weeks ago I let them sit for two weeks unopened. That was hard...

I had them etched with names for my wedding party gifts

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    2d64a92e6ffc56ebec74e85f770a8cd0.jpg

This is what my custom is based on. Some of you may know that I am in to historic Military Chinese Archery from the Ming Dynasty. This particular blade is in the MET and is a Qing Imperial blade. The Ming and Qing dynasties pulled a lot of influence from Turkic weapons. In talking with a couple historians, it’s practical to assume that the Ming Dynasty had similar knives although we couldn’t pinpoint any living examples.

My custom is based on this blade and sheath but will not be adorned as this example is. I went with an acid washed blade, custom engraving on the brass bolster and Chinese characters that in mandarin mean she dao. She dao is the mandarin pronunciation of The Way of Archery. I also have these characters tattooed on my arm. The sheath will be a rosewood construction with brass clasps. Handle will be horn with a hidden tang peened through on a brass end cap. Pretty pumped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom