• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    good question, but some clarifications....

Heavy barrel ar's are exempted by name in the statute (competition shooting)

Non 556 ar's and piston AR's are exempted by nature of non interchangeable parts.

Norinco M14 clones are exempt due to non interchangeable parts. (metric gas system)

I'm curious about how much of the 6.5 is different other than the barrel- do they have same magazines and bolt?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    good question, but some clarifications....

Heavy barrel ar's are exempted by name in the statute (competition shooting)

Non 556 ar's and piston AR's are exempted by nature of non interchangeable parts.

Norinco M14 clones are exempt due to non interchangeable parts. (metric gas system)

I'm curious about how much of the 6.5 is different other than the barrel- do they have same magazines and bolt?

Only the barrel will be different. Creedmoor can be formed from .308 brass.

Only the barrel will be different. Creedmoor can be formed from .308 brass.
    Well Jesus christ, if you put a different shade of brown on a dog turd, it's still a dog turd. There's a little extra metal on the ar example above and it changes it profoundly enough to call it a sporting firearm? There's no selector switch on the m1a so what gives?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well Jesus christ, if you put a different shade of brown on a dog turd, it's still a dog turd. There's a little extra metal on the ar example above and it changes it profoundly enough to call it a sporting firearm? There's no selector switch on the m1a so what gives?

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

This is Maryland. Don't look for logic.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    there-is-no-logic-only-zul.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ok my understanding is other caliber ARs (e.g., 6.5, 5.45, .50 Beowulf) are not banned. How does that translate to something like a different barrel on a M1A.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ok my understanding is other caliber ARs (e.g., 6.5, 5.45, .50 Beowulf) are not banned. How does that translate to something like a different barrel on a M1A.

It might fly. I think they should call it something else. Maybe the M1fu.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

Reading some chicken bones tossed on a garbage can lid might result in better logic than the MSP's "interpretation" of gun laws.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    It has nothing to do with military chamberings. It has to do with being scary.

The Legislature perceives th M1A to be a "scary weapon"...

There is NO LOGIC to support this conclusion...

But what we all need to understand is that we live is Merry-Land "The Scary State of Denial & Thought Control"...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The M1A is a very portable, easily concealed, battlefield ready assault sniper weapon capable of shooting down small moons. It needs to be banned. For the children...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The M1A is a very portable, easily concealed, battlefield ready assault sniper weapon capable of shooting down small moons. It needs to be banned. For the children...

It weighs much less than a Prius.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

When I were but a shirt-tail lad we had plenty of moons! Dozens of 'em! Consarned gun nuts shot 'em all down, dag nabbit! Only one left, and it's so gol-durned full o' holes it looks like a Tennessee stop sign!

Dag nabbit!

gimme that remote control.

Last edited:

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    It weighs much less than a Prius.

Well, yes less than a Prius, but real heavy on a night patrol back in
    1963 when my Ranger buddy and I were in Ranger school at Fort Benning, Dehlonga and in the FL swamps.

We referred to it as the M14 Limb Stripper cause we used it every mission to slash our way through the kudzu and obstacles in the pitch black. That said, however, the M14 was our trusted mate. We toted 5 fully loaded mags (blanks), a light pack, couple canteens of water, a map and a compass.

The distance to objective each night varied and was largely dependent on
    the difficulty of the terrain...patrols in the swamps were relatively short...it was very dark, spooky, wet, and the most difficult of the patrolling that we performed...a real challenge!

Lew--Ranger63

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    As intriguing as this combo is if you really want a M1A to get around the "Bolsheviks of Maryland" a Polytech M14S may be a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom