• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My kids went through this past weekend. If you want a copy let me know.

Just want to give you a public shout out for meeting up with me last night and getting me a copy of the handbook. My son started reading it last night and I think he is overwhelmed. I don't remember the handbook being so thick when I took the course back in the 80's. Honestly, I think I am overwhelmed by the amount of content in it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    If you want to get him to a range, I'm just a call/text away. We can also take him hiking with a rifle at the same location so he can get used to handling a rifle "in the field" as it where. Plus I can hand you some stuff for review for my world domination plan.

I asked my son if he wanted to do something like this, and he was completely excited. However, this past weekend my wife worked, I had to cover 3 soccer games, I had to get work done, etc., and he is taking the hunter safety course this weekend. If he fails, we'll probably see you a weekend or two in October so he can get some field time in.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Just want to give you a public shout out for meeting up with me last night and getting me a copy of the handbook. My son started reading it last night and I think he is overwhelmed. I don't remember the handbook being so thick when I took the course back in the 80's. Honestly, I think I am overwhelmed by the amount of content in it.

It was nice meeting you.

I dont remember it being that indepth either. I took it in the late 80's. It really is a lot of information to absorb especially for the younger kids.

Good luck to you guys his weekend.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Well, my son passed the hunter safety course today. He and I were up until 11:30 last night working on a study guide and then he studied it on the drive to the course this morning. After passing the course, he was so excited that we stopped at Walmart in California to look at hunting gear. Then, on the way home we stopped by my parents so he could show them the hunter safety card and let them know he beat me on the test. Big thank you to Inigoes and lx1x. It was just a wonderful experience.

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Congratulations! I remember the feeling of pride and satisfaction I got when my son passed at the age of eight. He started college this Fall so I'm without my hunting buddy. Cherish the seasons you have with the juniors.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Great kid.. easy peasy for him on the field walk even with the scary start .. did very well on his test.

Nice seeing you both today.. tell him good luck on his first hunt!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What kind of crossbow did you buy him? :D

I assume a father and son matching set, right?

:-)

Also congrats to him!

Mine is excited about going deer hunting with me this year. I'll work with him next year to get his hunting license if that is what he wants to do. He is really enjoying learning to shoot with me.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    What kind of crossbow did you buy him? :D

Taking him out groundhog/dove hunting tomorrow after he gets off school. My dad wants to go dove hunting and this farm has tons of groundhogs in it where the soybeans are. Going to see if he can get one with the 10/22, or if need be, the .220 Swift.

He wants to deer hunt this winter, but I am not sure about him being able to use a slug gun or black powder gun and the property I used to rifle hunt on in Washington County was sold last year. If I had access to a rifle property, I would buy him a .243 and we would be going for deer full speed ahead. A crossbow might end up being the way to go.

Thanks for letting him know he can crossbow hunt. Where is that sarcasm emoji.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I assume a father and son matching set, right?

:-)

Also congrats to him!

Mine is excited about going deer hunting with me this year. I'll work with him next year to get his hunting license if that is what he wants to do. He is really enjoying learning to shoot with me.

I already have a Horton, and it should still work just fine, so just a crossbow for him. I can find other places to spend the "saved" money.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Congratulations! I remember the feeling of pride and satisfaction I got when my son passed at the age of eight. He started college this Fall so I'm without my hunting buddy. Cherish the seasons you have with the juniors.

Thanks. We are going to have to get together sometime soon here. Been way too long.

Congrats to you and your son on him starting college.

I know to cherish the time with my family (e.g., kids, wife, parents,siblings) and friends. 20 years ago I knew to cherish the time with my parents. That is what I told the law firm I was working for back then. Working weekends was out of the question because my mom and dad would only be on this Earth a certain amount of time. The catalyst for me quitting was that after 2 1/2 years there, they wanted me to start coming in on the weekends. So, I went and started my own practice and I was hunting and fishing like crazy with my dad and making more money back then. Then, I started working weekends for myself. My wife, more so than me, just decided that I will not be taking on any new clients for a while.

I just turned 46 and my dad and I are still hunting together.

My soon to be 5 year old was slightly perturbed that she could not take the hunter safety course because she does not know how to read. She spent the weekend with my wife working on learning her letters. She wanted to know if she needed a hunter safety card to come shooting, and she was elated that the answer was no.

Your son will be back hunting with you sooner than you know it, but I am sure you know this. If nothing else, get out there fishing with him during summer break or book some type of hunt for his winter break. Maybe we can hit a RSA over winter break and shoot some planted quail, pheasants, etc. with the kids. Might even be able to talk Lazarus into it. lol

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    Does anybody have access to the hunter education course book. My 8 year old son wants to take the course and the related exam, but I would like to review the course book and have him review it too before we take the class together. Essentially, I want to prepare him for the exam and the field day ahead of time.

If anybody has the course book in pdf format, can you please e-mail it to me at fabsroman@aol.com. Thanks

I'm not sure if you have seen this thread, it might be an option!
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=132416

Posted before I got to page two of thread...

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm not sure if you have seen this thread, it might be an option!
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=132416

Posted before I got to page two of thread...

Thanks. It actually wasn't an option because of his age. Have to be 13 years of age or older to take the Maryland online course and based upon that link he would have to be 17 years of age or older for the Texas course.

End of the day, this worked out well. He was scared of failing the exam, so he studied pretty hard and gained a lot of knowledge. Only downside to the field day is that I let him shoot my SBE on Tuesday and it beat the crap out of him (see * below for explanation). So, he was gun shy for the field trial. They asked him to shoot at something during the field trial and he started crying because he thought the gun was actually loaded and going to fire. He had no idea that he was holding a non-operative gun and that the ammo was not live. He finally figured it out after some of the other kids shot during that field walk.

* He had shot it the same way several times before, but this time he decided to move his head into a different position right before pulling the trigger. He is left eye dominant and he moved his head right over the stock to line the bead up with his left eye, but we were shooting rightee. The stock smacked him pretty hard. It happened so quickly that I could not correct him before he pulled the trigger. He crushed the can and his cheek at the same time. So, now he is recoil shy. He had to shoot a 20 gauge today at the field test and he was very apprehensive, even though he had already shot a 20 gauge at trap on New Years Day, not once, but 6 times. For him, the single live round today was the biggest hurdle, but he pulled the trigger. Going to take him out groundhog hunting in about 12 hours with the 10/22.

Attachments

• MdShooters32.jpg
      MdShooters32.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 105
    • MdShooters33.jpg
      MdShooters33.jpg
      83.5 KB · Views: 106
    • MdShooters138.jpg
      MdShooters138.jpg
      109.4 KB · Views: 103

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks. We are going to have to get together sometime soon here. Been way too long.

Congrats to you and your son on him starting college.

I know to cherish the time with my family (e.g., kids, wife, parents,siblings) and friends. 20 years ago I knew to cherish the time with my parents. That is what I told the law firm I was working for back then. Working weekends was out of the question because my mom and dad would only be on this Earth a certain amount of time. The catalyst for me quitting was that after 2 1/2 years there, they wanted me to start coming in on the weekends. So, I went and started my own practice and I was hunting and fishing like crazy with my dad and making more money back then. Then, I started working weekends for myself. My wife, more so than me, just decided that I will not be taking on any new clients for a while.

I just turned 46 and my dad and I are still hunting together.

My soon to be 5 year old was slightly perturbed that she could not take the hunter safety course because she does not know how to read. She spent the weekend with my wife working on learning her letters. She wanted to know if she needed a hunter safety card to come shooting, and she was elated that the answer was no.

Your son will be back hunting with you sooner than you know it, but I am sure you know this. If nothing else, get out there fishing with him during summer break or book some type of hunt for his winter break. Maybe we can hit a RSA over winter break and shoot some planted quail, pheasants, etc. with the kids. Might even be able to talk Lazarus into it. lol

If it is hunting or gun related I can usually be talked in to anything pretty easily unless it is illegal or my wife says no (or finds out and says no).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just wanted to say thank you again to everybody that helped me with this. My dad lost all enthusiasm for hunting after his double bypass several years ago, which curbed my enthusiasm too. My dad has always been my hunting buddy since I was 5 years old. Now, with my son getting his hunting license and starting to hunt with us, the enthusiasm level is through the roof, especially on the part of my dad and my son. In the blind, my dad said, "Who would have thought I would be hunting with my grandson." The smile on his face was incredible. Almost bringing me to tears right now. Then, my dad attended my daughter's birthday party this past Sunday and he was talking about watching the weather so we can get back out there hunting the birds.

It takes a village to raise a child, and I think I found one heck of a village.

Attachments

• MdShooters152.jpg
      MdShooters152.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 78
    • MdShooters153.jpg
      MdShooters153.jpg
      129.7 KB · Views: 74
    • MdShooters151.jpg
      MdShooters151.jpg
      156.1 KB · Views: 74

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics