• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miq

Apr 12, 2019
    Maryland
    I recently picked up Tristar Cobra III Field pump in 12ga with a 3” chamber. I took a look on the Tristar website to get more info about the gun and was surprised to see it say the gun “allows you to shoot light target loads to heavy waterfowl loads.” I find this pretty confusing as I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t put some 00 Buck or a few slugs through it. I looked at the Cobra III Force and it says the same thing except replaces heavy waterfowl loads with heavy buckshot loads. Is there some reason I wouldn’t be able to put buckshot through it? It came with a choke box with your typical improved, modified, and full.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I ... was surprised to see it say the gun “allows you to shoot light target loads to heavy waterfowl loads.” I find this pretty confusing as I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t put some 00 Buck or a few slugs through it. ... It came with a choke box with your typical improved, modified, and full.

On one hand I suspect you may be reading that marketing language a tad too literally - that is assuming simply because they do not mention every conceivable payload available that, “because it’s not listed I can’t shoot it ...”

On the other hand, slugs are typically fired through a Cylinder bore or choke which you indicate was not provided and thus you may indeed want to think twice before you “put a few slugs through it” (if you must, recommend you use the IC choke. (FWIW, If you’re intent on shooting slugs I’d procure a CYL choke ...)

I am also going to go out on a limb and assume either the chokes or barrel caution on the significance of differentiating between LEAD versus STEEL shot; and finally,

The mfrs own website “Troubleshooting” (https://www.tristararms.com/faqs/) indicates:

Most new firearms (Shotguns) will require a break-in period. It is recommended by TriStar to shoot heavy loads during this time. Please refer to the manual or contact Service Department with questions.

So, wth, putting some buckshot through the gun (I’d use the IC choke) may be line with the mfrs own recommends.

Disclaimer: in my limited experience “most new shotguns” DO NOT “require” use of “heavy” loads to “break-in” ... only shotguns with lower levels of attention to detail during the mfr’ing process (ie, the “more affordable” shotguns).

Best o’ Success and Safely Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Miq

Apr 12, 2019
    Maryland
    On one hand I suspect you may be reading that marketing language a tad too literally - that is assuming simply because they do not mention every conceivable payload available that, “because it’s not listed I can’t shoot it ...”

On the other hand, slugs are typically fired through a Cylinder bore or choke which you indicate was not provided and thus you may indeed want to think twice before you “put a few slugs through it” (if you must, recommend you use the IC choke. (FWIW, If you’re intent on shooting slugs I’d procure a CYL choke ...)

I am also going to go out on a limb and assume either the chokes or barrel caution on the significance of differentiating between LEAD versus STEEL shot; and finally,

The mfrs own website “Troubleshooting” (https://www.tristararms.com/faqs/) indicates:

Most new firearms (Shotguns) will require a break-in period. It is recommended by TriStar to shoot heavy loads during this time. Please refer to the manual or contact Service Department with questions.

So, wth, putting some buckshot through the gun (I’d use the IC choke) may be line with the mfrs own recommends.

Disclaimer: in my limited experience “most new shotguns” DO NOT “require” use of “heavy” loads to “break-in” ... only shotguns with lower levels of attention to detail during the mfr’ing process (ie, the “more affordable” shotguns).

Best o’ Success and Safely Enjoy! :thumbsup:

I was thinking the same things about the marketing technique. The thing that I thought was weird though is how it says two different things depending on which gun you’re looking at. I wasn’t sure if maybe it had to do with the wear or something else. Also I have a cylinder choke, I was just mentioning what came in the choke box with the gun. Sorry for an confusion about shooting slugs.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Keep an eye on your screw in chokes. I have a TriStar ATAC and it’s a known problem for them to unscrew after several heavy loads. It’s been Locktighted in since (I don’t plan to change out the choke).

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    As this gun is a PUMP, the light vs heavy discussion doesn’t appear to make sense to me.

In the context of SA’s, yeah, not compensating for the difference in the loads makes sense due to energy required to operate the action...

But in a pump, it’s sort of a nonsense discussion point. Aside from marketing... to possibly inexperienced people.

Sirex