Herkimer Diamond Hunting, NY... Anybody do this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Looks like I'll be taking a road trip in August with the family and we may try and do a day of mineral hunting at one of the quartz mines in Herkimer County NY... maybe the Ace of Diamonds.

Has anyone done this? I understand that to really get the good stuff, you have to do some hard rock breaking to expose fresh cavities/vugs. Since we will have the kids and my mother in law with us, we probably aren't going to do a lot of hard core mining, but will probably sift through the spoil piles and look along the mine floor for some small quartz and dolomite specimens.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice, tricks, suggestions for finding stuff. I also understand that there are fossils by the river, so depending how things go, we may also try looking there.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

HRDWRK

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Jan 7, 2013
    39°43′19.92216″ N
    We did Diamond hunting in Ark back in the 80s! We had a great time, fun for all and walked away with a few that would not be worth polishing or cutting.. But it's the memories that was made, that we will always remember.
    Have fun. Wear a hat and take allot of water.

Up_in_BoCo

Dedicated plinker
    Oct 22, 2014
    HZ
    We've been to the Herkimer Mines. I liked it, but my family and I are serious rock hounds.
    It is hard work to find them in the rock. You really have to mine, hammers & cold chisels.
    My wife found our best diamond just looking on the ground.

We went about 5 years ago.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    We've been to the Herkimer Mines. I liked it, but my family and I are serious rock hounds.
    It is hard work to find them in the rock. You really have to mine, hammers & cold chisels.
    My wife found our best diamond just looking on the ground.

We went about 5 years ago.

Cool. Thanks. That's what I see my crew doing. Any tips for ground searching? Just back to the sun and scan the ground?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    This sounds like a super fun family trip, hopefully you find something.

My kids might be too young (short attentions span) at 4 and 8...but in a few years this could be fun

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    This sounds like a super fun family trip, hopefully you find something.

My kids might be too young (short attentions span) at 4 and 8...but in a few years this could be fun

Actually, there is a good place locally for kids involved in natural science stuff. Take them down to Purse State Park in Charles County (pretty much right across the river from Quantico). The place is littered with fossils and very few people go there. I GUARENTEE that you will find fossils there. You aren't going to find 5 inch Megalodons, but you will find a ton of small fossilized sharks teeth and ray plates. Your kids won't be board if they are finding stuff. :party29:

Good luck!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Actually, there is a good place locally for kids involved in natural science stuff. Take them down to Purse State Park in Charles County (pretty much right across the river from Quantico). The place is littered with fossils and very few people go there. I GUARENTEE that you will find fossils there. You aren't going to find 5 inch Megalodons, but you will find a ton of small fossilized sharks teeth and ray plates. Your kids won't be board if they are finding stuff. :party29:

Good luck!

Awesome, thanks! I will have to take a look.

Up_in_BoCo

Dedicated plinker
    Oct 22, 2014
    HZ
    You could rent tools, but we brought our own. I spent most of the day trying my luck mining, got nowhere.
    Wife found the best just looking at the ground a little off the wall.

They also had a "mining sluice" where you could buy a bag of dirt and gems.

** That said, I would go back and do it again.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Have a blast!

We took our grandkids last year (8 & 12 then) and, of all the stuff we did with them last summer, going back to the mine was THE # 1 THING on their list this summer!

(Now 9 & 13, this year, the 9 ya still wants to go back (as in NOW) while the 13yoa is kinda, “Meh...” so, I’d start ‘em early before I start ‘em late ...)

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Another “big” one found in Arkansas. It too can happen to you!

Attachments

• ECB4C1DA-9FF7-4CF2-9289-0F543B759E1F.jpg
      ECB4C1DA-9FF7-4CF2-9289-0F543B759E1F.jpg
      25 KB · Views: 89
    • 63EAF39A-A742-489E-8D4F-85043D532C87.jpeg
      63EAF39A-A742-489E-8D4F-85043D532C87.jpeg
      68.9 KB · Views: 103
    • 949EF1CF-C8B1-411E-98D8-A9EA6239E8F5.jpg
      949EF1CF-C8B1-411E-98D8-A9EA6239E8F5.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 119

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts