• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlino

I learn better hands on w
    Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    I am mounting a scope on a sporter Mauser. The base that seems to work best is a Leupold Standard one piece base with Standard rings.

Problem is, nothing fits perfectly on a Mauser Sporter because there is no standard Mauser Sporter.

The stripper clip boss has been removed so that area is flat. The one piece base needs to be elevated in the front by 20 MOA. I have it shimmed, but I don't want to leave it that way.

Is there a way to bed the scope base to fit with the needed 20 MOA elevation in the front?

Can I use bedding epoxy under the base in the front to do that? Will it be strong enough?

Thanks in advance for bestowing knowledge on me..

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The Leupold one piece base should acclimate it self to a 98 action if that's what you have, Redfield jr the same. If the clip-loading flange has not been completely leveled to the rear bridge maybe thats whats throwing you off or giving you problems. The rear base on a m98 needs to be taller dimension-ally than the front. This can be seen better on weaver 2 piece bases. Devcon or Brownells steel bed will work for slight differences but I would not rely on it structurally just to help guard against vibration and to carry your rifle around by the scope. What kind of rifle are you working on. Parker Hale, Zastava, Santa Barbara, Mauser should all be pretty close if its a 98 action. Most one piece bases only have one hole in the rear I think the Luepold has maybe two? I dont know because don't use them vs the redfield. Make sure the front screws do not get tapped into the surface above the top bolt lug, It can be hard there from heat treatment and could weaken the lug or break drills or taps if you bore all they way through. Take it to a smith to get it D/T to make sure its right, if you have to drill holes its easy to screw it up from lack of proper set up/tooling.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    I am building my own. I have had the Mauser since 1972. It is a 1949 Spanish 98. I think I paid $20 for it at Woolworth's. I re-barreled it and did a lot if cleaning. Had it head spaced by a gunsmith. I rebuilt and faced the bolt and turned down the bolt handle. The gunsmith drilled for the scope mount. He didn't get it right the first time. He had to drill a few extra holes. Pissed me off, but I am plugging them.
    To get it to hit bullseye at 25 yards, and the scope adjusted full down, I need to raise the front of the mount 20 MOA. About .02". I did it with shims and will shoot it at the range tomorrow. Once I get the correction, I want to get it done without the shims.
    Any Ideas?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Use filler screws and weld over old holes, grind then polish out if your worried about appearance or if you need to re-drill and get shims from Brownells. They come in in various thickness .001 thru .005 or you can find a piece of sheet brass copper or steel to make your own. time consuming but will work. (35 min and try once or twice to get it right) Thats where you can use some bedding compound to firm the base out. Use fine metal filings in accra glass or dev con epoxy for quick and dirty repair. Load up base mounting screws with black finger nail polish or store bought thread locker because over time the screws may want to loosen up if the holes are off center or not drilled straight. Lapping your rings into an aluminum set of rings ring may help a little. This is quick and dirty becuase were not talking about an Oberndorf double square bridge magnum action here. Good luck and enjoy your rifle!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The Burris Signature rings have Pos-Align (eccentric) inserts that can be used to add a little height.

tlino

Dec 28, 2014
    Frederick
    I bedded the base and corrected the elevation problems. I now need to develop a load that shoots consistently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom