• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    As much as I hate identity politics, the next NRA president (and I hope it comes soon) needs to be something other than a white male. Preferably a racial minority so that any criticism of the NRA or its members is labeled as racist.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    As much as I hate identity politics, the next NRA president (and I hope it comes soon) needs to be something other than a white male. Preferably a racial minority so that any criticism of the NRA or its members is labeled as racist.

The current NRA president is a white woman, Carolyn Meadows.

The unelected Exec VP (WLP) and its elected rubber stamp board are where the real problems reside.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/nra-pr...e-document-shows-11565714149?mod=hp_lead_pos7

NRA Promised $6.5 Million to Buy Mansion for CEO Wayne LaPierre, Document Shows

A top National Rifle Association executive signed a document agreeing that the gun-rights organization would be 99% owner of a company formed to buy a $6 million Dallas mansion for NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre, according to a copy of the document reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The document also shows the NRA agreed to contribute $6.5 million to the company formed to buy the property, raising yet more questions about the NRA’s previous statements that none of the gun-rights group’s money was to be used to purchase the house for Mr. LaPierre.

The newly revealed document reviewed by the Journal was dated at the time of WBB Investments’ formation in May 2018, and was signed by Wilson H. Phillips Jr., the NRA’s then-chief financial officer and treasurer. In it, he agreed that the NRA would contribute $6.5 million for 99% ownership of WBB Investments, while an Ackerman entity would contribute $10 for 1% ownership.

:facepalm:

NRA spokesman is starting to resemble Baghdad Bob.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    How To Lose 5 Million Guys In 10 Months...

Could be the title of a movie explaining the imploding end of the NRA.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Good grief, this really pisses me off after all the money I've given over the years. I say again, I wish a bunch of us regular guys could take over & run it like it should be.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You know who's a brand new member of the board? Mark Keith Robinson. Big dude who made that now famous speech in his appearance before his local city (county?) council when they were debating clamping down on gun shows at the local fairgrounds.

Maybe you remember his first touch of public life:

[YT]NIwf3d7hP9g[/YT]

He's been propelled from passionate history teacher into the public light. Now running for Lt. Governor of NC, and who knows what else down the road. Strikes me as the sort of guy that would be a perfect "every man" face of the NRA. At least he's on their BoD now, and might just do what he can to shake things up a bit.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I vote for Colion Noir. He's smart, has a good background with the NRA, is a lawyer, well spoken and black.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau

Ha! No. For a refreshing change of pace, the person hired or elected or knighted or whatever, should actually be chosen because they are the best qualified person for the job, not by "who you knew" or "who you blew"...

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018

Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    Ha! No. For a refreshing change of pace, the person hired or elected or knighted or whatever, should actually be chosen because they are the best qualified person for the job, not by "who you knew" or "who you blew"...
    Yes, preferably someone that will look the president, politicians, gun control activists in the face and tell them to "F*** off!"

I don't care what their race/sex/religion is.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico

Exactly!!!

Not because you're black, or female, or asian, or alien, or trans, etc. Enough! We're actually turning into the Dems, looking at everything through the lens of identity politics. Stop! Most qualified for the job...PERIOD!! Whatever their color, gender, sexual ID, etc happens to be is irrelevant. Stop playing the lefts game.

Re: the NRA BOD, we (members) have to quit electing board members solely because they're famous. Look at all the athletes, TV stars, NASCAR owners, etc. who are on the BOD. We tell the lefts famous people to shut up and act or shut up and sing; do what you do, stay out of politics. But then we celebrate when we have "famous" people on our side and they start blabbing. We desperately need more folks on the BOD who are political activists; those who fight day-in and day-out for the 2nd Amendment or folks who focus on educating and training folks in shooting disciplines, not folks who are famous that happen to shoot quail twice a year. Read the bios before you vote, it ain't hard to tell who is who.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I am not upset at the idea of a NRA top working executive getting a few million a year. I would expect since they probably will never get hired elsewhere after and also probably get fired from every other national board of directors they are on, you would need two to four million in salary to get anyone with an existing reputation and gravitas.

I also think people should be aware that there is a certain necessary level of opaqueness and just this side of legal shenanigans in strategy , tactics for any large national and powerful contested policy issue advocacy organization. No gun control lobby/advocacy group holds their strategy meetings open the public or to their general membership. do you think you are going to pay $20 to GOA or to Evertown and sit in on here confidential meetings discussion how to use proxies, where to apply money, who to carrot, who to stick etc? No.

also it is not unusual to have outside vendors do a lot, most or virtually all of an association's work.

NRA core problem is
    1) the leadership responsible for overseeing the outside vendor was because of improper rules, or enforcement of rules, able to be a) bribed by the outside vendor or b) able to blackmail the outside vendor and get huge kickbacks. the legal argument appears to be whether Lapieere was blackmailing the outside vendor or if they were blackmailing him. Either is very bad.
    2) the press will take any problem of the NRA, including ones that occur company enough in the association business -- and hold a microscope to it and amplify it.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

The job is a PR, advocacy and fundraising job. Charton Heston worked VERY well because of his image. The image projected and "who you know" is going to e a top requirement.

The first replacement for LaPieire is going to have to be a "gray hair." That is a basic part of crisis management and reform (which invovle both fundamentals, and appearances).

I would think for say three years helming by retired high ranking IRS guy or the like. The problem is you normally get guys/gals who are on upper executive of other national group boards. We know after they take on a NRA position they are going to get fired from everything so ther eis going to be some very serious compensation needed.

Decrease board size. Institute oversight. And then, yes someone who knows a lot of people and who counteracts notions about NRA demographics.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Well then, how about Michelle Obama? Her husband helped to sell more civilian guns than any other president in history!

her husband appointed more federal judiciary directory opposed to the Second Amendment -- hundreds -- than any president in history.

If the GOP Senate had not pulled all the stops in a unprecedented tactic Garland would be on the court and all or most of Heller would already or soon reversed.

Laura bush is on a half dozen major boards of some very well run and regarded organisations. Are they being idiots?

My point is we need a gray hair to helm NRA along with a reform program for say three years, and then yes we do need both people who are experts in organizational structure, and notable people both accomplished in other related fields and some with some amount of name recognition.

$30/year from two million consistently paying, plus a bit more per year, maybe, from another million lifetime and continuing members, and then some paid years from people who pay some years and not others, or who have discounted first year membership etc, is going to mean an NRA dwarved by the gun control groups money. .

Look at GOA public financials., they claim two million members in some cases and three million in others. There financials show they have maybe 100,000 to 150,000 maximum paying members.

Most membership organizations the totality of the membership is only paying dues half the years or less. all these types of organizations have an interest in still keeping those as "members."

nra will need people who can fundraise. People do like to meet people who have some degree of accomplishment and yes sometimes celebrities.

I work with a lot of association boards, it is part of my business.
    Most successful associations have "brand value" people, ex governors, ex senators etc, notable people from business, and yes a few from the arts or sports as long as they also are not morons.

In board governance board members have, either or both of:
    • Advisory value
    • Brand value

Advisory value means having national board expedience, iand in NRA case, experience in an national membership association, so they know how a proper one is is run. and how a proper organization is run.
    Brand value means the person is notable, because he or she brings name recognition and thus value.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If I raise $1 million dollars and expense $50,000 for my new toy loosely connected to the shoot I went to with the donor, not a single BoD in the world will say no. And I guarantee if you were on the board, you would approve the expense too. If you didn't your org would never bring in money, because fundraising is not "here is the check." .

if you raise one million and expense $500k 90% of associations would not say no.

I have worked with MAJOR non profits that routinely pay out 50 cents on the dollar on federal grant writers (people who professionally specialize in getting federal and foundation grants).
    Get our organization a one million dollar grant and be paid $500k outright for the service.

LaPeirre's remuneration amount is not the issue. people running round thinking him getting paid millions are nuts. Running the NRA is essentially a blackball for getting on any other board. heck I know for a fact, because I work with people who work on the hill that even people who have interned for the NRA do NOT list that on their resumes anymore for fear of being blackballed in many future DC jobs.

consider this. People are being doxxed, and companies subject to boycott for just contributing to Trump.

The problem is not what/how much Lapeierre was paid -- but how.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    SAF has the track record of winning cases that beats all of them including the NRA. SAF knows that case law is built one small brick at a time.
    Yup. SAF is worth donating to. Their tactics are sound.

David Kopel has had some interesting comments on legal strategy...that firearm owners needed to steal the NAACP civil rights playbook. Bring suits in friendly venues, win, and set precedent to win suits in neutral venues. Win those...and set up a fight in hostile courts that we can win.

Patent Guy

Rifleman
    Sep 1, 2010
    AA County
    That certainly changes the equation. Wayne definitely needs to go. Now. On his padded Armani butt.

Now, who will pick up the NRA training and certification programs that currently make up about a third of their income? Is any organization large AND credible enough to carry the load?

Another question: FPC and GoA are great litigators AFTER an infringement, but who will lobby Congress/states BEFORE an infringement to prevent it?

Answers??? Are we between a rock and a hard place? :shrug:

For litigation: CATO institute! That’s who brought and WON the Heller case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom