• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've been starting to look around for a lightweight and compact weapon light for the 16" HBAR upper I am building. The surefire protac 1l seems ideal. 2oz, nice and small and decent light output and price. Except it seems like there are no reasonable mounts out there. The few that can accept a ~.75-.8" diameter light are either ungainly contraptions that weigh way more than the light itself or there is the Protcor light mount which is more expensive than the light, but more importantly, is out of stock right now.

Any thoughts or ideas? I am not dead set on the Surefire 1l. I would like total package weight to be around 3oz and less than $100. I'd be willing to go a little higher in package weight up to about 4oz if easily detachable. Thanks!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-...=UTF8&qid=1492482972&sr=1-1&keywords=tlr-1+hl
    4 oz, much better output, can take a tape switch on the tailcap.
    2016-01-16 15.25.23_20160122170608981-1.jpg

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Get the Protac Rail Mount. It's its own light. Amazon has it in 1L and 2L versions.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I have the 2l. Get the 1l if you are worried about weight. I think they a great lights and in your price range. The TLR Hl which I also have is great too but over the $100 budget with tape switch.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I decided on the 1l along with a monstrum tactical keymod 1" light mount. I'll just use a piece of vinyl or rubber tubing to space it properly. Let's me put a bigger light in there later if I want to without swapping the mount. It also keeps the combined weight at 3.1oz (plus I am sure a tenth or two for a short piece of tubing).

275lm should be enough for a bump in the night light.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I ended up using veterinary self adhering wrap. Basically ace bandage. It is surprisingly secure. You can wiggle it a little, but it takes a lot of force to move it forward or backward in the mount and it definitely won't come free without unscrewing the clamps. Adds almost no weight (the wrap, but also the light and mount).

Attachments

• IMG_2709.jpg
      IMG_2709.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 132

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads