• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Most of my handguns are C&R, but just a few I wanted that I really didn’t want to wait 5-20 years for them to be C&R eligible. It sucks, but I can afford an HQL and when it comes down to it not begging for my rights from the state makes no difference versus begging the state for my rights. Not like they are going to change the laws simply because I refused to ask permission and jump through hoops.

They know I own some handguns. Not like there was a question of the state that I owned any guns. So now they know about more property of mine some of them probably want to confiscate some day. Wouldn’t be mine if I didn’t get an HQL.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Like shit. It feels like shit.

It's MD. BGOS goes with the territory. I moved back for work in 2008 and when MD started requiring an HQL to purchase a handgun, I wasn't surprised in the slightest. Nope. Not one bit.

I view the HQL as a deterrent to gun ownership by design and when one declines to obtain an HQL to exercise their 2A rights, they're doing exactly what the turds who enacted it wanted them to do - stop buying handguns. My attitude towards that is: fvck 'em. Not only did I get an HQL but I also got a Designated Collector's license too. When I purchase a handgun in MD, I like to imagine there's some gun-grabbing POS somewhere in Annapolis weeping over it.

Most of my handguns are C&R, but just a few I wanted that I really didn’t want to wait 5-20 years for them to be C&R eligible. It sucks, but I can afford an HQL and when it comes down to it not begging for my rights from the state makes no difference versus begging the state for my rights. Not like they are going to change the laws simply because I refused to ask permission and jump through hoops.

They know I own some handguns. Not like there was a question of the state that I owned any guns. So now they know about more property of mine some of them probably want to confiscate some day. Wouldn’t be mine if I didn’t get an HQL.

Don't let the perpetually-angry-about-something crowd make you feel guilty. Life is too short to deny yourself the things you enjoy doing with friends and family.

If an HQL is what it takes, I truly believe it pisses the antis off more when we get one than when we don't get one. It's like every trip to the range is a validation of 2A rights in a state that would just assume you never did again.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It feels violating

Like shit. It feels like shit.

Get some new polymer or wood and steel in your hands. It may take 7 days for full effect, but it should be soothing. If not, repeat until the desired result is felt. ;)

If a new handgun doesn't make you feel at least a better...you either picked the wrong one or have bigger problems than any of us can help with.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Get some new polymer or wood and steel in your hands. It may take 7 days for full effect, but it should be soothing. If not, repeat until the desired result is felt. ;)

If a new handgun doesn't make you feel at least a better...you either picked the wrong one or have bigger problems than any of us can help with.

Picking one up tomorrow in fact, after my designated wait to not be disapproved :D

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Status went active today. A few more days for the card.

By comparison, This was way less painful than the MVA.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I'm going to bump this thread instead of starting a new one: I've been introducing a friend of my son's to shooting and today the boy's Dad tells me he wants to get an HQL and buy a handgun. He has never owned a gun before, so I told him I'd ask for recommendations on an HQL training class in the Baltimore - Harford County area.
    I know a Hunter Safety course works and I've read Freestate ( in the middle river area?) offers one. Also where should he do his prints at?
    My personal opinion is he ( and more importantly his wife, she looked scared to death when we were talking about this, ) would feel safer with hands on as opposed to Hunter Safety.
    Anyplace to reccomend?
    Anyplace to stay away from?
    Thanks

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Why not buy something c&r then go get the HQL to skip the class?

I agree. You’ll have to spend money on the class so why not just put that $120-150 towards a C&R handgun and skip the class?

That is another option but this family moved here from NY and know very little about guns, I used to have to call the mother to make sure the boy could shoot BB guns. Several years later now the boy's father wants to take a class, get his HQL and buy a handgun for home defense. He asked if I knew of a good one, he doesn't want to take one and find out they suck and he got bad info.
    I did a search of HQL threads but most talk about the printing aspect not training classes.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The last HQL class I taught had 3 students that were exempt, but wanted TRAINING and some supervised range time.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    That is another option but this family moved here from NY and know very little about guns, I used to have to call the mother to make sure the boy could shoot BB guns. Several years later now the boy's father wants to take a class, get his HQL and buy a handgun for home defense. He asked if I knew of a good one, he doesn't want to take one and find out they suck and he got bad info.
    I did a search of HQL threads but most talk about the printing aspect not training classes.

I agree that with someone like this a great instructor and class is the way to go. Sounds like you may have a family of 2A converts on your hands. Great!

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm going to bump this thread instead of starting a new one: I've been introducing a friend of my son's to shooting and today the boy's Dad tells me he wants to get an HQL and buy a handgun. He has never owned a gun before, so I told him I'd ask for recommendations on an HQL training class in the Baltimore - Harford County area.
    I know a Hunter Safety course works and I've read Freestate ( in the middle river area?) offers one. Also where should he do his prints at?
    My personal opinion is he ( and more importantly his wife, she looked scared to death when we were talking about this, ) would feel safer with hands on as opposed to Hunter Safety.
    Anyplace to recommend?
    Anyplace to stay away from?
    Thanks

Top Gun Firearms in Fallston is my LGS. They don't offer HQL training themselves, but I periodically ask who they recommend (figuring they get customers asking a lot). Last time I asked, they liked Vision1 Tactical (www.vision1tactical.com), because their HQL training involved real, actual education for new-to-gun folks and not just the bare minimum to meet the requirement.

I have no direct experience with Vision1 myself (and, honestly, haven't asked recently if TGF likes anyone better). The website looks like they are in Middle River.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Top Gun Firearms in Fallston is my LGS. They don't offer HQL training themselves, but I periodically ask who they recommend (figuring they get customers asking a lot). Last time I asked, they liked Vision1 Tactical (www.vision1tactical.com), because their HQL training involved real, actual education for new-to-gun folks and not just the bare minimum to meet the requirement.

I have no direct experience with Vision1 myself (and, honestly, haven't asked recently if TGF likes anyone better). The website looks like they are in Middle River.

Thanks Art, I'll look into them, they sound like a good place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom