• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I would suggest getting several boxes of different brands and bullet weights to see what the gun likes.

Here is a pic of the 100 yard targets showing what my CZ 512 and Savage 93GL likes.

Attachments

• Savage 93GL vs CZ 512.jpg
      Savage 93GL vs CZ 512.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 78

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazarus where have you seen that it is illegal to use 22wmr in Maryland for small game? I was looking into the regulations and didn't see anything about it

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I said NON-expanding ammo is illegal to use in a rifle. Not that 22wmr isn’t legal. So FMJ even in a 22 is illegal to use.

See below. I was wrong. Deer/bear only it is illegal for non-expanding. My bad.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also I looked closer...I was wrong. It is only mentioned under deer and bear. So I guess fmj would be fine for squirrel. The more you know.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    There are more flavors of 22WMR available today than ever. Like rifles generally, and with rimfires in particular, I'll bet the ranch that your particular 22WMR rifle will show a decided preference for one brand and bullet weight of ammo over others. You won't know until you give each brand a go.

Best advice I can give you is to buy a box of whatever you can get your hands on, settle in at the range, do some testing, and have fun with it. The good news is that 22WMR is again plentiful, as it wasn't long ago that it could be hard to find even one brand and bullet weight, much less several. Check Ammoseek.com for competitive pricing. Prices are better now than they've been in a number of years. The bad news is that, if you find a clear winner, and I believe you will, you ideally want to lay in a good stock of hunting ammo with the same lot number, which is hard to do with price driven online purchases.

This!

Not sure what rifle you have, but myself and several friends have older Mossberg and Marlin rifles. We have tried most 22wmr ammo through the last several decades. Consistently, the most accurate round in our rifles has been the Winchester Super X. It is also a great round to hunt with, even on fox and raccoon size animals. Like mentioned, find the one you like, and buy as much as you can.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Also I looked closer...I was wrong. It is only mentioned under deer and bear. So I guess fmj would be fine for squirrel. The more you know.

Confusing, huh?? That's Maryland for ya!

FMJ mentioned as prohibited with regard to furbearers also. But FMJ is fine for squirrel, as it is not specifically disallowed.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Confusing, huh?? That's Maryland for ya!

FMJ mentioned as prohibited with regard to furbearers also. But FMJ is fine for squirrel, as it is not specifically disallowed.
    I'm suprised its prohibited on furbearers as I would think it would help save the skin. There are a lot of rules.

For example say I'm bow hunting for deer and I come across a squirrel, I need to put on my orange hat before I can take a shot with the bow

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm suprised its prohibited on furbearers as I would think it would help save the skin. There are a lot of rules.

For example say I'm bow hunting for deer and I come across a squirrel, I need to put on my orange hat before I can take a shot with the bow

Fortunately for winter turkey if I am out hunting them with my crossbow and I come across a deer I can hose it down with a M60. I mean I can harvest it with the crossbow. :rolleyes:

I’d half bet some of it is safety because if you are out squirrel hunting with a bow there are probably other guys squirrel hunting with a rifle.

The other half is probably to cut down on archery hunters who are sick and tired of that damn squirrel barking at you from the tree 15 feet away who decide to nock a Field point and take care of the nuisance.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not quite. General prohibition on hunting with full auto .

It may have changed now , but about 20yr ago was randomly looking up obscure stuff , and there was one state whose state definition read to the effect of ' more than 3 shots with one pull of trigger ' , and I said huh, so you can hunt with a 3 shot burst trigger group .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not quite. General prohibition on hunting with full auto .

It may have changed now , but about 20yr ago was randomly looking up obscure stuff , and there was one state whose state definition read to the effect of ' more than 3 shots with one pull of trigger ' , and I said huh, so you can hunt with a 3 shot burst trigger group .

I was kind of joking (I think you got that, but internet and all. Hard to tell).

And...dang! Was it for snow geese or something? Drum magazine, full auto sear in a Saiga 12ga

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    My Rem 597 shoots the Hornady and Remington V-Max exactly the same and much flatter trajectory than any other round. I have taken squirrel and groundhog out to 150 yards.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I did figure you were joking . Guess my counter humor was weak also.

I thought you might be...but I was having a strangely literal day.

On the other hand, hog exterminating with full auto...don’t see anything wrong with that. Maybe that is it, get a hog crop damage permit and you can buy a NEW full auto.

Think of the farmers.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    I thought you might be...but I was having a strangely literal day.

On the other hand, hog exterminating with full auto...don’t see anything wrong with that. Maybe that is it, get a hog crop damage permit and you can buy a NEW full auto.

Think of the farmers.
    My end goal is to become a farmer they get a lot of benefits and it seems like good honest work the issue is finding a profitable crop that you can do while scaling your business

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Ended up getting 3 types of ammo in wmr and some more 22 ammo. Headed to the range Saturday to try them out
    Check out what the total came too. Should i skip the range and just sell off my firearms?
    de8d4b011709e8d53d835676e69a1931.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Profitable crop is easy. Have to make some payoffs to do so legally.

( Kinda humorous, but literally true .)

More traditionally humorous :

What's the best way to make a million dollars farming ? Start with two million.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Profitable crop is easy. Have to make some payoffs to do so legally.

( Kinda humorous, but literally true .)

More traditionally humorous :

What's the best way to make a million dollars farming ? Start with two million.
    Haha , I,don't have money for that , maybe rare garlic or prized goats

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Goats are actually an in demand thing , if you are within close enough of the right parts of the region .

( NOT a joke , there is a successful goat operation close by to me , and neighbor has done goats before, but seems to have short attention spans , and frequently changes types of livestock .)

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Goats are actually an in demand thing , if you are within close enough of the right parts of the region .

( NOT a joke , there is a successful goat operation close by to me , and neighbor has done goats before, but seems to have short attention spans , and frequently changes types of livestock .)
    I'm in baltimore county now but back in my home town in Frederick my friend worked a small goat operation. The owner had high breed goats of some type and sold one to some guy in Saudi Arabia for 4 grand.

Maybe one day haha

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Goats are big in the Muslim community.

Also goats milk is pretty popular.

I have friends down the street who raise about 20 haired sheep (forget breed) and around 15 pigs. Rotate them as they age up to go to the butcher. Absolutely not self supporting, but it does make them a few thousand a year after all expenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom