• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Glock 21 for home defense. I want a reliable light for a high stress scenario. Reliability and ease of use are more important to me than cost.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    This...... One of my house guns, a G21 with TLR-8a Laser/light

8tnIY4.jpg

Last edited:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Another vote for Surefire if they make one you like. I think they are the best and will take a beating. Saw a lot of them get abused/used hard in the middle east and keep going. Not the cheapest but my first choice.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I use a Streamlight TLR-1 HL on my Glock 17.

Not the most compact but sits flush with the muzzle and is very simple to operate.

Has held up well over many thousands of rounds and I can easily make hits on an 8 inch gong at 30 yards on my buddies farm in total darkness.

bigslimdog

Mar 17, 2013
    Harford Co.
    Streamlight TLR 1 HL. Have been using Streamlight products, including multiple TLR-1's, in my profession for over a decade with not a single issue ever. Spend the extra money for the HL. Well worth it.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Streamligth TLR-1 HL, OLight Baldr Pro w/Green Laser, Surefire X-Series lights, based on budget.

Q

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Any light that fit your pistol.

Unless you're "running and gunning" training with your "kit", beating it up, you'll most likely never have to use it. And if you do, it will be with a shot or 2. Check your batteries or charge every month. Don't spend 400 bucks on something that's going to sit on the nightstand it's whole life.
    Olight has great affordable options. There's no reason to think that a $120 light won't work that 1 possible time.
    a247b021f3e4f90435381ac99994bc49.jpg

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A friend of mine and I were chatting about flashlights mounted on rails on pistols, ARs, etc, for home defense.

His thought is that with a flashlight, a you may not be able to see the perp, depending on where the light is shining, but they can sure as hell see you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A friend of mine and I were chatting about flashlights mounted on rails on pistols, ARs, etc, for home defense.

His thought is that with a flashlight, a you may not be able to see the perp, depending on where the light is shining, but they can sure as hell see you.
    The beauty about a WML is that you don't have to use it.
    I don't subscribe to that "you need to identify the threat". In a home invasion, you'll know the threat. It won't be the wife whispering "honey, is that you?".
    I like the light idea because you have a light of you need it and it keeps the other hand free to fight/open doors/etc...
    Someone attacking you when in your bed or on the couch, you won't be working about lighting them up first.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I personally don't like lights on guns. Major violation of rule #2.

Get a decent flashlight and keep bedside next to firearm and practice.

Just my thoughts

Nobody

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I personally don't like lights on guns. Major violation of rule #2.

Get a decent flashlight and keep bedside next to firearm and practice.

Just my thoughts

Nobody

Have both a handheld and a weapon light. If you hold your handheld in your support hand, you can drop it once your firing hand has drawn and is coming up for a full present. That way, you can have both hands on the gun while also having a light pointing forward if you have to point the muzzle at someone.

Shining the light on the ground while the muzzle is still safely pointed at the ground also gives you more light to identify a target than if you simply didn’t have any flashlight if you’re at the point where you’ve had to draw with both hands making a solid grip.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    People have to get over this rule #2 stuff in real situations. This "rule#2" wasn't a factor when I trained to re-hijack airplanes or trained active shooter situations. Entry teams don't lower their weapons when they clear and secure rooms.
    Rule 2 is meant for your general gun handling and the range. How would you handle a threat in a restaurant when people are running around and you are trying to get to the threat?

How about if a loved one is in front of you, the threat is to their right(your left) and you were facing with your pistol to their left(your right). Are you going to lower your weapon as you come across and then address back up to the threat? How about the "hostage position" and they are behind your loved one with a knife to their throat? Are you going to be afraid of having your pistol pointed in that direction?
    If you aren't at the high ready when you are "clearing your house", you might want to rethink that.

Don't let this "safety" impede your effectiveness in a real situation. Trigger discipline is a thing.
    Of course this is dependent on your training and confidence. But just some things to think about.
    If you can identify a bad guy and shoot, then you can identify a good guy and not shoot.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    People have to get over this rule #2 stuff in real situations. This "rule#2" wasn't a factor when I trained to re-hijack airplanes or trained active shooter situations. Entry teams don't lower their weapons when they clear and secure rooms.
    Rule 2 is meant for your general gun handling and the range. How would you handle a threat in a restaurant when people are running around and you are trying to get to the threat?

How about if a loved one is in front of you, the threat is to their right(your left) and you were facing with your pistol to their left(your right). Are you going to lower your weapon as you come across and then address back up to the threat? How about the "hostage position" and they are behind your loved one with a knife to their throat? Are you going to be afraid of having your pistol pointed in that direction?
    If you aren't at the high ready when you are "clearing your house", you might want to rethink that.

Don't let this "safety" impede your effectiveness in a real situation. Trigger discipline is a thing.
    Of course this is dependent on your training and confidence. But just some things to think about.
    If you can identify a bad guy and shoot, then you can identify a good guy and not shoot.

I agree and at the same time find it comical because what you just said reminds me of another retired FAM I had as an instructor in an instructor's course.

"WTF is wrong with you people, get over that SUL ******** and handle those weapons like you know what you're doing. I could teach a course to FAMs with my weapon pointed at them the whole time and not one of them would so much as flinch". :lol2:

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    If you are planning on running an Olight, make sure to use high quality batteries, ie Surefire or Streamlight, I've heard issues about Olights blowing up due to faulty batteries, this include Olight branded batteries. If you are going to run a surefire, make sure to losen the mounting screws BEFORE you mount it on, and then tighten it while it is on the rails, when I first mounted mine on I had to hammer it out due to the screws being too tight

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I agree and at the same time find it comical because what you just said reminds me of another retired FAM I had as an instructor in an instructor's course.

"WTF is wrong with you people, get over that SUL ******** and handle those weapons like you know what you're doing. I could teach a course to FAMs with my weapon pointed at them the whole time and not one of them would so much as flinch". :lol2:

Yep. When you gain control of a whole cabin of passengers, everyone gets a pistol(s) pointed at them. :D

SUL is ridiculous. But some reading this will think I think it's ok to just willy nilly flag people at home or the range or wherever and totally not understand what I'm saying.

Like I said, if someone isn't confident or trained up, by all means they should do what they are comfortable with. Especially if I am around. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom