• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcity

Jul 14, 2020
    Hi all. I’ve searched the forum for an answer with no luck, but if I missed the relevant post, please point me to the right spot.

I recently came in to an old Parker Bros. side by side 12. gauge. It’s twist steel, so I feel rather confident shooting it, but its old enough that I’d still like another opinion to make sure its safe to fire.

My question is this: Is there a smith with some expertise with C&Rs around?
    I’m near College Park, so anyone within Frederick, Bmore, or Annapolis would be best.

Cheers and thank you.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    the short answer is no there is not a good double gun smith in the DC area, Gunter Pfrommer in southern Virginia or Dewey Vicknair in PA are the closest that I know of. I would ask your question here https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php for more answers.
    All that said ...
    Twist steel is not fluid steel but closer to damascus which is still fine. If the gun is tight and on face, and the barrels are not pitted or messed with (not honed to get rid of pits and now thinner than they were when new), the gun is probably fine for light low pressure loads. The weak point is probably the old dry wood which wont like recoil and could split or crack.
    Do not shoot target loads in the gun but rather buy some RST vintager loads which are loaded to the specs the gun was meant for.

motorcity

Jul 14, 2020
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Apart from a few scuffs, the stock is in great condition. Maybe its been replaced at some point.

I was looking at RST, prices aren’t bad for a specialty load. But before I invest in a case of low pressure, I want to make sure I don’t have a wall-hanger.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Cheers.

captainstashu

Jan 26, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    If it is twist steel and exposed triggers it is 1883 or newer. If it is hammerless it is probably newer. if there is a metallic inlay in the stock it is silver and probably original. In any event use only low pressure loads!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom