• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    They've got a bad case out of the 7th Circuit to contend with and the carry case out of the 5th Circuit Crawford. But this is the first time the Courts have dealt with a complete ban on 18 year olds being able to own arms.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...bill-same-day-gov-scott-signed-law/412365002/

The National Rifle Association sued in federal court Friday to block a new Florida law, just signed by Gov. Rick Scott, that prohibits gun sales to anyone under 21.

"We filed a lawsuit against the state for violating the constitutional rights of 18- to 21-year-olds," said Marion Hammer, lobbyist for the NRA in Florida. NRA lawyers in Tallahassee and Washington, D.C., were working on the complaint Friday afternoon, and filed the complaint moments before the court's deadline.

Hammer had previously called the legislation "political eye-wash."

The suit was filed just over an hour after Scott signed the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act into law. He expected opposition from the gun lobby.

Marion Hammer
    Gun lobbyist Marion Hammer returns to her seat after speaking in the Senate Rules Committee meeting on gun safety in the Knott Building at the Florida state Capitol in Tallahassee, on Feb 26. (Photo: AP/Mark Wallheiser)

“I’m an NRA member, and I was an NRA member when I became governor. I’m going to be an NRA member when I’m not governor,” Scott said. “I’m sure there are NRA members that agree with this bill, some that don’t agree with this bill.”

The lawsuit names Attorney General Pam Bondi and Rick Swearingen, Commissioner of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

More about the school safety law

Read the NRA lawsuit aiming to shut down gun control law

Florida Governor Rick Scott signs gun control bill, arms some teachers

Florida House OKs first gun controls in 20+ years; Gov. Scott won't say if he'll sign it
    Senate approves school safety package 20-18; bill heads to the House
    Legislature stiffs schools on safety program; arming staff may be only option
    SPONSORED BY THE TAX DEFENSE GROUP
    Bitcoin And Taxes
    See more →

The complaint says the new law prohibits law-abiding citizens between the ages of 18 and 21 from lawfully purchasing a firearm of any kind.

"This blanket ban violates the fundamental rights of thousands of responsible, law-abiding Florida citizens and is thus invalid under the Second and Fourteenth Amendments," it says.

The complaint says the law particularly affects young women.

“Females between the ages of 18 and 21 pose a relatively slight risk of perpetrating a school shooting such as the one that occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, or, for that matter, a violent crime of any kind.”

The law was enacted in the wake of the Valentine's Day shooting death of 17 students and teachers at Stoneman Douglas, allegedly by a 19-year-old former male student who authorities said legally bought the AR-15-style rifle used in the attack.

It cites a report that in 2015 only 1.8 percent of those arrested for violent crime were women in that age bracket, while men in that age group made up 8.7 percent of arrests for violent crime.

The complaint also says the law violates the 14th Amendment’s equal protection clause by banning adults between 18 and 21 from buying guns but does not apply such a ban to adults 21 and over.

Attachments

• NRA v. Bondi.pdf
      164.5 KB · Views: 113

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    hmm. Dont they need to find actual plaintiffs for this? As in: actual 18-20 year old who but for this law could buy a rifle?

This lawsuit was filed awfully quick. Its almost like they wanted to let the bill pass and then sue.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Rick Scott can now safely run for higher office because he did "Something".

Votes Gained vs. Votes Lost seems like a wash to me.

Will Gov. Scott end up as a member of Trump's administration if he loses his senate race?

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    hmm. Dont they need to find actual plaintiffs for this? As in: actual 18-20 year old who but for this law could buy a rifle?

This lawsuit was filed awfully quick. Its almost like they wanted to let the bill pass and then sue.

I was wondering too if they have standing. I saw an article the other day about someone in Oregon (I think) that is suing Walmart and another company for not selling a rifle.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011

The NRA alleged that it has members that fit the class which is enough legally. Once it gets to discovery the NRA will have to prove it. However it makes for really bad optics to not have any named. I hope they amend with some actual people.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    The NRA alleged that it has members that fit the class which is enough legally. Once it gets to discovery the NRA will have to prove it. However it makes for really bad optics to not have any named. I hope they amend with some actual people.

Does the FL law have a delayed effective date? Just going off of acquaintances in MD with Dicks and Walmarts ban, there are several people I know who are affected and would love to sue. I can't imagine the NRA having a hard time finding plantifs in FL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom