• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    Recently shooting my new AR I noticed a lot of muzzle rise during firing making it hard to stay on target for follow up shots. Are there any replacement muzzle brakes on the market that will help this significantly? Thanks!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I just had an AAC brake put on, I'll let you know how well that works. It apparently is also designed to easily put an AAC can on, in case you are interested.

Jim

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    Another fan of the PWS FSC556

PWS_FSC_556_L_1.jpg

Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    Is this as simple as unscrew stock and screw new one on? If so I'm sold. (Yes, I am that much of a newb)

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    The PWS comes with a pack of shims for proper clocking of the brake. It really is that easy. It does make it easier if you have an upper receiver vise block.

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    Like Jeep said, go BC over the PWS.

I have a PWS and it does what it's suppose to very well but it is very loud and is a bit annoying to someone if they are on the firing line with you. It's not noticed much behind the trigger.

I have a BC on a new rifle but have yet to shoot it yet to compare to the PWS. I have talked to some folks who's opinions I respect and they have stated the BC will do the same job as the PWS but without all the noise.

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    Battle Comp less annoying then the PWS.

This is true. Not that the FSC556 is bad if you're sitting behind the gun, but it can be pretty loud if you're at a bench next to someone who has one. Still, the FSC556 is a really effective brake, and does a great job at suppressing flash.

93071db3.jpg

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I prefer PWS. Its a more effective brake than a Battle Comp. The BS IS a more quiet brake. SO if noise is a factor pick the Battle Comp.

Spikes also has a battle comp copy for less cost than the Battle Comp.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS

You might also check out the Spike's Dynacomp or Spike's Dynacomp Shorty (We should have pics up soon).

Griffin Armament M4SD Comp is also a good choice. Lots of reviews state that the Griffin comp is very similar in performance to the BC, but a little cheaper. It also has much more suppressor compatibility than the Battle Comp.

If you're not looking to pin/weld on a 14.5" barrel, you might look at the Spike's Dynacomp Shorty and Griffin M4SD as well? They'll be substantially quieter than the PWS, and still perform well. My M4SD Comp on my PLR-16 223 AR pistol mitigates 110% of the muzzle rise. It actually pushes the muzzle down a bit. The PWS is probably a better flash hider than the Dynacomp/M4SD/BC

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    How do the Dynacomp, Battle Comp and PWS compare to the Bushmaster Mini Y Comp?

Mine is pinned welded to make the barrel 16" but loud as a mofo. Anyone have any comparisons?

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    How do the Dynacomp, Battle Comp and PWS compare to the Bushmaster Mini Y Comp?

Mine is pinned welded to make the barrel 16" but loud as a mofo. Anyone have any comparisons?

I've never heard it, but based on the construction I'd say the PWS/MiniY could be similar in loudness, and definitely louder than any of the other options mentioned. No idea on performance though. The Dynacomp/BC/M4SD shouldn't be as loud, but will most likely be a noticeable difference louder than an A2.

Bensmiata

The Newbie
    Dec 23, 2009
    MD
    How do I tell if its pinned? I tried to remove it but it feels like bigfoot himself put it on. Also what are the threads? The website doesn't say. I assume 1/2x28.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom