• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    This is my first try at a long distance gun(on a budget). Just picked up my Remington 700 AAC-SD today from The Gun Shop. God bless 'em they did it again! As you all probably know it has a heavy profile 20" barrel with threaded muzzle and the Hogue overmold ghillie green stock. The color of the stock is alot nicer in real life. This picture really doesnt do it justice.

Now, I am too poor to get a can, so I will be looking into brake/compensator to slap on the end of this to protect the crown a little better and to be tacti-cool. Can anyone recommend a good one with out breaking the bank(<$100)? I will be making a sling for it made of leather. The scope for now will be a Redfield 4-12x40mm. Rings and mount will be Leupold dual dovetails. I think I will skip the bipod until I shoot it some. I like the looks and feel better without the bipod. Any suggestions are welcomed and better pictures will follow as I fix her up some!

Attachments

• sps aac sd.jpg
      sps aac sd.jpg
      171.9 KB · Views: 399

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county

Wow thanks for post all of those! So far I think I like the JP compensator best.

Mine came with a AAC quick attach flash hider installed...Looks like your missing something!

Im thinking yours may have come as an extra bonus or something. All the ones i find for sale dont come with it. Not even on there website. Thats awesome though. I was considering getting that model too.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Pic before paint and one after.
    Pre Paint.jpg

Rem%20Paint.jpg

Sorry wasn't able to get my leg up on the railing to throw in a foot (I'm getting old and fat now).

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    is that a centerpoint scope?
    looks like the one i have on my remmy 700.

No it's an inexpensive Leapers that I had, want to upgrade it later but it does very well and may not in the long run. It has a BDC and is a 16 power if I remember right, gonna have to go home and check now just to make sure I have it quoted right. Think 4x16x50. I like for the cheap price it had.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    You won't really find a lot of "good ammo" at Wally world. They will mainly have "hunting" ammo, especially in 308. The 1 in 10 twist will work well for 168 grain and heavier. As far as wally world ammo, I prefer the Remington Core-Lokt over the Winchester.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Yeah, I kinda figured walmart wouldnt be any good for ammo for a gun like this. I have been doing some reading and think I found the ammo I will try first. Federal Gold Medal Matchking in 168gr. It has fantastic reviews and shows sub MOA in most of those reviews. The price is just bout right. Im going to pick up a case soon then hopefully I wont have to wait to long to go to the range! Its been forever since the last time I was at Elk Neck.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yeah, I kinda figured walmart wouldnt be any good for ammo for a gun like this. I have been doing some reading and think I found the ammo I will try first. Federal Gold Medal Matchking in 168gr. It has fantastic reviews and shows sub MOA in most of those reviews. The price is just bout right. Im going to pick up a case soon then hopefully I wont have to wait to long to go to the range! Its been forever since the last time I was at Elk Neck.

You need to buy a box of each type before you pick one to buy exclusively.

Black Hills
    Hornady
    Federal

Try every weight and bullet type. In my 700P Hornady 168 Grain BTHP shoots 1/8" smaller groups than Federal Gold Match 168's. The hornady is 20% cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom