• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I thought this was a very telling comparison of different rounds in the same caliber. Plus i am very intrigued by this round.

JnstemIII

Feb 23, 2011
    Oldtown, MD
    I've been looking at the 300 blackout and the 7.62 x 40. They both use .30 cal bullets the only difference is the brass on the 7.62 x 40 is longer. I think im going with the 7.62 x 40. Also with the 7.62 x 40 you can use a .223 bolt. EDIT they both can use .223 bolts.

7.62x40 WT (16” barrel)
    110gr: *2450FPS Muzzle Velocity and 1466 Foot Pounds of Energy
    125gr:* 2400FPS Muzzle Velocity and 1599 Foot Pounds of Energy
    150gr: 2200FPS Muzzle Velocity and 1612 Foot Pounds of Energy

5.56 Nato (16” barrel)
    55gr: 3150FPS Muzzle Velocity and 1212 Foot Pounds of Energy
    62gr: 3000FPS Muzzle Velocity and 1239 Foot Pounds of Energy
    77gr: 2750FPS Muzzle Velocity and 1293 Foot Pounds of Energy

7.62x39 (16” barrel)
    123gr: 2320FPS Muzzle Velocity and 1470 Foot Pounds of Energy

6.8 SPC (16” barrel)
    110gr: 2550FPS Muzzle Velocity and 1594 Foot Pounds of Energy

300 BLACKOUT (16” barrel)
    125gr: 2275FPS Muzzle Velocity and 1436 Foot Pounds of Energy

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    7.62 x 40 is yet another ripoff of J.D.Jones's .300 Whisper . Except that Wilson misses half of the origional concept.

The Whisper was invented to maximize the terminal ballistics of subsonic ( highly suppresable) load in an AR platform . Ie 220-250 bullets @ 1000ish fps , with violent tumbling. The fact that it could also aproxamate 7.62x39 supersonic ballistics was a happy byproduct.

The Wilson ctg trades off a slight increase in 125gr vels for a maxium capability of 150 gr bullets , at least in ARs. A bolt gun with a long throat would be less limited. But as long as you're going that route you could use any number of still larger cased factory or wildcat ctgs.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've bought Remington factory ammo for the Blackout at a few local shops. Can the same be said of 7.62x40? While on paper, WC's may look slightly better, the tradeoff is that, frankly, Wilson's cartridge will always be a wildcat, whereas the Blackout has a good shot at being a mainstream offering. If you exclusively hand-load, that may not make much of a difference, except that hopefully, one day, I'll be able to get Blackout brass as Bass Pro; I know I won't be able to get 7.62x40 there.

JnstemIII

Feb 23, 2011
    Oldtown, MD
    I've bought Remington factory ammo for the Blackout at a few local shops. Can the same be said of 7.62x40? While on paper, WC's may look slightly better, the tradeoff is that, frankly, Wilson's cartridge will always be a wildcat, whereas the Blackout has a good shot at being a mainstream offering. If you exclusively hand-load, that may not make much of a difference, except that hopefully, one day, I'll be able to get Blackout brass as Bass Pro; I know I won't be able to get 7.62x40 there.

Thats one of my concerns that i wont be able to get ammo for the 7.62x40. Is the 300 blackout ammo more common then the 7.62x40. Would you consider the 300 blackout as a good deer gun?

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    Thats one of my concerns that i wont be able to get ammo for the 7.62x40. Is the 300 blackout ammo more common then the 7.62x40. Would you consider the 300 blackout as a good deer gun?

seen some folks using it for pig and deer

nasty wound channel for sure.... I would say it's suitable for deer sized game 200 yrds or less

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Im intrigued as well, I would think it would come down in price as the projectiles are standard .308 and the cases are common.

Want to get my 7.6239 and my 5.45 set-ups done first before I get into a niche caliber but its on my radar.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Blackout chamber has a looser neck . The unfired brass is virtually identical. A Blackout chamber will always take a Whisper ctg. If a Blackout ctg has an oversize neck dia that just barely fits Blackout chamber, it "might" has issues in a Whisper chamber.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Blackout and Whisper are NOT the same. They are distinctly different.

The Blackout's shoulder is slightly higher than the Whisper. You can shoot Whisper ammo in a Blackout, but not the other way around, and once you shoot the Whisper ammo in a Blackout, it's been "fire-formed" into Blackout brass, and can no longer be shot in a Whisper. (you might be able to resize it back into Whisper, but my point is that they are different.)

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    For 300 blackout, use some 223 cases and a case trimmer....voila....300 blackout cases

As I understand it, it's not exactly "voila"; It's a multi-step process that can be a pain in the ass. (multiple resizings from one caliber to another, trim, resize again, trim again, chamfer, debur)

I looked into making my own, but it required two additional sets of resizing dies I don't have, a trimming die, and lots of free time.

rsilvers

Dec 24, 2010
    Is the 300 blackout ammo more common then the 7.62x40?

300 AAC BLACKOUT is a SAAMI standard with 45 companies supporting it.

7.62x40mm has more velocity for supersonic ammo but needs special mags. It depends which you prefer.

The velocity difference depends on the bullet weight. Wilson seems to accurately compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom