• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    My own State Representative Jonathon Strickland has filed a bill allowing for Constitutional Carry in TX. Licences to Carry (LTC) are relatively easy to get but require a class, background check, fingerprints, etc. $70 renewal every 5 years.

You currently have to have an LTC in order to Open Carry in TX. It is legal to keep a firearm in your vehicle as well. Hoping the Open Carry Texas idiots keep their rifles at home for the next few months.

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/231203331-story

TX House Bill 375:
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB375

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Would be nice. It'd be interesting to see how all the anti carry establishments handled it. Since they currently have the 30.06 and 30.07 provisions for ltc restrictions.

Before moving here, I thought texas would be one of the most likely states to already have CC. I was surprised to hear that before the mid 90s (I think) there was no ccw at all really.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    My own State Representative Jonathon Strickland has filed a bill allowing for Constitutional Carry in TX. Licences to Carry (LTC) are relatively easy to get but require a class, background check, fingerprints, etc. $70 renewal every 5 years.

You currently have to have an LTC in order to Open Carry in TX. It is legal to keep a firearm in your vehicle as well. Hoping the Open Carry Texas idiots keep their rifles at home for the next few months.

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/231203331-story

TX House Bill 375:
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB375

Odds on it? What derailed it last time?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Odds on it? What derailed it last time?

I wouldn't put money on it. The TX Legislature only convenes every 2 years....which may actually be a good thing. :lol2:

2 years ago the Open Carry TX folks torpedoed any chance for unlicensed carry. We usually get a couple token gestures (ie Campus Carry and Open Carry w/LTC 2 years ago). Removing the $140 class and range time is one possible one I've heard, but the CHL Training program has a lot of supporters, mainly the ones teaching them... :sad20:

List of 2017 TX Gun Bills:
    https://www.texasguntalk.com/forums...texas-legislature-gun-legislation-thread.html

octsmash.jpg

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The point I always bring up to these trainers is where's the evidence that the training requirement has any effect on accidental discharges? Numerous states have no training requirements, like VT, NH,PA, GA, and I haven't heard anything about accident rates higher than in training required states.
    I discount the homicide/criminal stats in this case. Training isn't going to make you less likely to purposely commit a crime against someone else IMO.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    The training course is a visible filter (even if it does absolutely nothing for safety) and if it helps shut up some of the antis I'm all for it. The class has several elements including conflict resolution and it's not hard to pass. When I did mine it was actually a fun day and the range time was nice.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The point I always bring up to these trainers is where's the evidence that the training requirement has any effect on accidental discharges? Numerous states have no training requirements, like VT, NH,PA, GA, and I haven't heard anything about accident rates higher than in training required states.
    I discount the homicide/criminal stats in this case. Training isn't going to make you less likely to purposely commit a crime against someone else IMO.

The "training" for the TX ltc is laughable.
    The instructor warned at the beginning it was not a class on how to use a pistol. 2 older ladies raised their hands thinking it was and they weren't sure they could participate in the range time, which can be done within 6 months of the classroom training.

Well, they went ahead and did it anyway and still passed....

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

imo, its not about discharges or whatever else trainers claim. Its about the money they would be losing by the class not being mandatory.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think that's part of it. The reason UT stopped allowing NM residents to carry on a UT permit in NM was the NM Instructors complained they were losing training revenue. No one claimed it was about safety AFAIK.

UT actually changed their statute to require a home state permit from a reciprocal state before issuance of the UT permit because of NM.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Fingerprints? In Texas? That's not required in VA and shouldn't be required at all in other states. You're not being booked for a crime. You're not a criminal. I'm all for constitutional carry - convicted felons concealed carry all the time, why shouldn't law abiding citizens?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    imo, its not about discharges or whatever else trainers claim. Its about the money they would be losing by the class not being mandatory.

It's always about the money, yet they'll never admit it. Also count the local sheriff's opposition to permit less carry because of lost revenues from CCWs.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    It's in the statute.
    I agree that it is there, I just don't know why it is there for non-residents. I suspect it may have something to do with VA only having access to a person's criminal records from other states and the federal government if the person is a VA resident. Perhaps the State Police can simply run fingerprints for a 'match' and if nothing comes up, the person is assumed to not have a criminal record.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don't know either. I am guessing it might have to do with the fact that VSP runs a criminal check on their own state database, not NICS. I know that's why WI only recognizes VA NR permits because VA runs a NICS check on non residents but not residents.

I know the statute also says prints are forwarded to the FBI fora National criminal records check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom