• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    Is this allowed? does it become a "firearm"?

Can we do this to a receiver that was bought as a "Shotgun"?

The SB Tactical braces show that they fit the Remington Tac-14.

Is it safe to assume that they will fit a standard 870 as well?

Thanks for any guidance

I wish there was a wooden or less "tactical" brace for 870s

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wouldn't that fall under making a SBS? If the gun was transferred as a shotgun, that would make it a long gun and in-convertible to a pistol.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    As mentioned in the shockwave thread...pistol brace on a shockwave or tac14 is good to go as they both get treated as a handgun from purchase through carry and transport in Maryland.

If you buy a pistol grip only version of a shotgun, 590 or 870, or other pistol grip only shotgun, it transfers as "other". Then you can buy the 14 inch front end for your particular shotgun and make the 14 inch "other" , providing you als buy and install the shockwave or other birdshead grip which brings the "other" to an acceptable length.

I don't have an HQL so I will be assembling a Mossberg shockwave once I gather the host gun and 14 inch Mossberg front end. Maybe when and if I get a stimuli check.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    why what?

why have a 14" shotgun without SBSing it? the reasons are numerous
    I’m merely curious (given you did not specify caliber) why anybody would want to possess or run a shotgun that short. SBS. Pistol. Other. Legal or not.

Yep, you can conceal it easier. Yep, you can “control” it easier...right up until you pull the trigger...

I’m not recoil conscious. I won’t bore folks with my background in that regard. Let it suffice to say, I don’t see the efficacy of a very short shotgun unless it’s 20g or less. Even then, I’m not a fan.

So, the question is imo an academic but not practical one.

Your question. Your thread. Best of luck in your search.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I’m merely curious (given you did not specify caliber) why anybody would want to possess or run a shotgun that short. SBS. Pistol. Other. Legal or not.

Yep, you can conceal it easier. Yep, you can “control” it easier...right up until you pull the trigger...

I’m not recoil conscious. I won’t bore folks with my background in that regard. Let it suffice to say, I don’t see the efficacy of a very short shotgun unless it’s 20g or less. Even then, I’m not a fan.

So, the question is imo an academic but not practical one.

Your question. Your thread. Best of luck in your search.

Oh ok, i wasn't sure of the direction of your "why".

Shorter than 18" allows for better transportability and mobility. shotguns are fairly long when compared to other "long guns".

in and out of vehicles?

in and out of rooms and halls?

fit in camping tote?

looks cool?

less barrel for a bad guy to grab?

let's be honest, there is quite a bit of cool points to short barreled, wooden stocked shotguns. its classic americana. a rare foray into "collecting" for me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Oh ok, i wasn't sure of the direction of your "why".

Shorter than 18" allows for better transportability and mobility. shotguns are fairly long when compared to other "long guns".

in and out of vehicles?

in and out of rooms and halls?

fit in camping tote?

looks cool?

less barrel for a bad guy to grab?

let's be honest, there is quite a bit of cool points to short barreled, wooden stocked shotguns. its classic americana. a rare foray into "collecting" for me.

As mentioned in the shockwave thread...pistol brace on a shockwave or tac14 is good to go as they both get treated as a handgun from purchase through carry and transport in Maryland.

If you buy a pistol grip only version of a shotgun, 590 or 870, or other pistol grip only shotgun, it transfers as "other". Then you can buy the 14 inch front end for your particular shotgun and make the 14 inch "other" , providing you als buy and install the shockwave or other birdshead grip which brings the "other" to an acceptable length.

I don't have an HQL so I will be assembling a Mossberg shockwave once I gather the host gun and 14 inch Mossberg front end. Maybe when and if I get a stimuli check.

I dont know why getting treated as a handgun for transport is considered a good thing.... it means that you can't, really, unless you have a W&C permit.

I'd rather have a 29.25" in rifle anyday (think bullpup)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The NFA defines shotgun, in part, as a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger.

A shotgun is a firearm subject to the NFA if the shotgun has a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length. A weapon made from a shotgun is also a firearm subject to the NFA if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.

[26 U.S.C. §§ 5845(a)(1)-(2), (d)]

So if a firearm was designed, redesigned, made or re-made with an 18"+ barrel and designed to be fired from the shoulder, it is a "shotgun". If that shotgun is then remade or redesigned with < 18" barrels it is an SBS. If it has <18" barrels, is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, and is less than 26" it is an NFA regulated AOW. So a weapon 26" or greater that is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, and is not made from a shotgun(virgin receiver) is a "firearm" and not NFA regulated, this is why Tac14s and the like are legal. Braces inherently are not designed to be fired from the shoulder, and can easily increase the length of a "firearm" with short barrels past the required 26". A few of the non-NFA 12ga "firearms" come from the factory with braces, a nice solid brace can handle the recoil just fine, they are kinda fun, handle much easier, and recoil isn't much of an obstacle, although they loose out on some capacity unless you have a box mag.

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    I have fired one of these many years ago

20181202_172913-1024x576.jpg

Looks cool, but it wasn't fun to shoot.

Some people have held it up to their face when firing it. A pretty self-correcting problem after the first shot.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Is this allowed? does it become a "firearm"?

Can we do this to a receiver that was bought as a "Shotgun"?

The SB Tactical braces show that they fit the Remington Tac-14.

Is it safe to assume that they will fit a standard 870 as well?

Thanks for any guidance

I wish there was a wooden or less "tactical" brace for 870s

Mossberg makes some pistol grip only guns, but Remington doesn't make very many. So before the Shockwaves came out, guys tended to get Mossbergs and convert them. Mossberg does sell all the parts, too. Now that factory short guns are available, it doesn't make a ton of sense. The parts are not cheap, and you already bought an entire PGO gun, too.

The cost of the extra parts would cover the HQL expense.

But if you insist, here's a link for all the Mossberg parts:

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/the-14-12-gauge-that-doesnt-require-a-tax-stamp/

And hey, they have a complete kit, too.

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/mossberg-500-14-front-end-kit-92514-259-95/

There's a cheaper route that uses your existing parts:

https://shockwavetechnologies.com/introducing-the-shockwave-raptor-lug-for-mossberg-500s/

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Wouldn't that fall under making a SBS? If the gun was transferred as a shotgun, that would make it a long gun and in-convertible to a pistol.

This comes in the Tac-14 box printed on a piece of glossy paper

'As originally manufactured by Remington, this product qualifies as a "firearm" under the federal Gun Control Act (GCA), and does not, under the GCA or the federal National Firearms Act (NFA), qualify as a shotgun, short-barreled shotgun, handgun or any-other-weapon. Its status under federal law, however, can change depending on how it is modified or used. Additionally, the law of your state or locality may prohibit the possession, owner-ship, transfer or usage of this firearm, or may restrict the possession, ownership, transfer, or usage of this firearm to an extent greater than does the federal law.

F417580 Rev.02-18'

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I dont know why getting treated as a handgun for transport is considered a good thing.... it means that you can't, really, unless you have a W&C permit.

I'd rather have a 29.25" in rifle anyday (think bullpup)

I meant good to go as far as being legal, I don't think any of these hoops are good. I believe we should be able to strap two of these on mad max style and go anywhere but these are the laws or atf decisions we must abide by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom