• ...and so much more!
  • Thoughts on 40s&w

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    While I understand everyone having the idea that HQL is infringement that we shouldn't be happy about, I took the OP's excitement as now being able to purchase his first handgun. If correct, he has a right to be excited and doesn't even remember what it's like to buy when his rights were unabridged.

Welcome to the world of handgun owners! :)

If hes this excited over the HQL, wait till he gets "congratulations you are NOT DISSAPPROVED" lol

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    9mm all day every day.

40 is snappier
    This is test-able. Take a G17, a G22, and a shot timer. Load 5 rounds in each.
    TEST 1 - B27 at 7 yards. Set your par to 1.5s. Send the 9mm within the allotted time and score. Send the 40cal in within the allotted time and score. Compare scores.
    TEST 2 - IDPA target at 5 yards. Time your strings, no par time. Shoot each target as fast a possible with A zone hits only. Compare split times.
    TEST 3 - Set a B27 at 25. No time limit. Shoot 5 rounds 9mm unsupported and score. Shoot 5 rounds of 40cal unsupported and score. Compare scores.

9mm has a greater capacity
    Yes, the difference isn't huge... but it's there.

9mm is cheaper
    AmmoSeek results:
    40cal cheapest price per round 18.2 cents/round
    9mm cheapest price per round 12.8 cents/round (STEEL) 13.4 cents/round (BRASS)

Bullet tech eliminates terminal ballistics in the Big 3
    FBI research found that terminal ballistics between the Big 3 are medically indistinguishable and that the more important factors were controllability and capacity: You want to hit the CNS a lot and have as many chances to do so as possible.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Complacency is killing us. We, none of us, should see this level of harassment and infringement as normal.

No complacency here, but it is nowhere near helpful. The tone is condescending. I agree with a succeeding post about understanding the OP’s excitement. Like, hate it, doesn’t matter. He took the steps, did it despite the infringement and is exercising buying a handgun. Cudos to him. Another point for gun owners.
    Different topic, needs its own thread. Add to one of the many.

Mar 6, 2019
    I think you’ve already got some solid advice. Go shoot it. Figure out if you like it and the performance you get out of it. I prefer something with less recoil than a .40 so I picked out a 9mm. It’s just my preference. If you like the .40 and shoot it well enough, go for it.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    No complacency here, but it is nowhere near helpful. The tone is condescending. I agree with a succeeding post about understanding the OP’s excitement. Like, hate it, doesn’t matter. He took the steps, did it despite the infringement and is exercising buying a handgun. Cudos to him. Another point for gun owners.

I agree. The HQL, by design, was meant to deter and discourage MD residents from owning a handgun. It looks like it's working pretty good, too, particularly among the crowd who can't stop haranguing others about 2A.

Anyone who takes the time to obtain an HQL deserves congratulations for going thru all the BS and expense to get one. Period. I think the HQL is total BS, too, but I'd rather go out and enjoy a hobby I love than sit-around online bemoaning, "mah rights, mah rights, mah rights!" :rolleyes: If you don't want to get an HQL because you considerate it a violation of your 2A rights, don't get one, but don't shit on people who do.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Aaaand back to the topic......

40 is a great round. As noted its snappier than 9mm but I disagree that it kicks as much as 45.

If you are new to shooting, 9mm in a metal frame gun is a good starting point to learn from.

If you plan to have multiple guns in the future, a 40 in the collection can't be overlooked.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Aaaand back to the topic......

40 is a great round. As noted its snappier than 9mm but I disagree that it kicks as much as 45.

If you are new to shooting, 9mm in a metal frame gun is a good starting point to learn from.

If you plan to have multiple guns in the future, a 40 in the collection can't be overlooked.

I find my 29/30 (10mm/45ACP) Glocks are less snappy that my 27 (40SW) Glock. More of a push.

PJS

Heavy
    Feb 4, 2014
    Baltimore
    My first, and for a very long time my only, handgun was a Glock 23. I went with .40 because it's what my local police carry, and at the time, it's what the feds carried. I'm pretty good with it. I'm pretty big and strong, I can get follow up shots on target pretty quickly. I'm certainly confident I can get work done with it if necessary.

Last year, I got my permit to carry a handgun in MD (and Utah). I carry my 23, and I bought a 27 to have something easier to conceal, and I want to stick to the same platform for what I carry.

I'm going to buy a dedicated home defense handgun. It's probably going to be a G17 MOS. I've had the chance to shoot a 19 recently, and it's a little easier to shoot well. I'll stick with my 23 and 27 for now, but I think I may move to 9mm if I end up replacing them.

One additional reason I'm thinking 9mm from now on: a PCC, which is likely next up after the 17.

That said, if 9mm went away tomorrow, I'm good with .40.

JohnnyH

Sep 28, 2013
    Glock 23 is a 13 round, .40 SW, and a good gun, if you are sold on .40. Plus, for $150 you can get a 9mm conversion barrel and a mag. Now, you have choices. Your range time, using the 9mm barrel, will cost less.

Aug 14, 2018
    Just got approved for my HQL last night. I am thrilled. Now for my first handgun. I'm looking at a Beretta 96a1. Thoughts on 40s&w. Tell me what you think in the comments.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Make sure get your collectors license as well. It's free and makes life easy on you. Go with the 92FS, great pistol and a great 9MM cartridge, not to mention Langdon tactical, wolf, and Wilson all make great accessories for the platform. If your in to beretta that much classic firearms has the.380 beretta cheetah. I think it is the 85f, basically a mini 92FS! .40 caliber is a snappy round IMHO, and many of .40 caliber benefits can bae had in 9mm with proper ammo.

Aug 14, 2018
    There's an indoor range in belair where they have good prices on the M9, plus you can rent one before you make a purchase to see if you even like the platform of DA/SA

BigYansh

Apr 2, 2019
    PG County
    Guys and gals, thank you all for you input. It means a lot that you all cared enough to reply to my post and vote in my poll.

That being said, I have settled on the Beretta 96 as my first, but I will be getting other pistols and calibers over time with the perks of a designated collector soon (thanks for the advice on that one). I have large enough hands and I tend to shoot better with heavier full sized metal pistols. I'm guessing their mass tends to soak up more of the recoil, because I've haven't really felt the abhorrent "snappiness" that many are describing through their Glocks and other polymer options. Also, my groups tend to be tighter with those aforementioned larger heavier pistols. I'd probably look at a 1911 as my next due to my preferences.

Once again. Thank you all. Peace.

BigYansh

Apr 2, 2019
    PG County
    While I understand everyone having the idea that HQL is infringement that we shouldn't be happy about, I took the OP's excitement as now being able to purchase his first handgun. If correct, he has a right to be excited and doesn't even remember what it's like to buy when his rights were unabridged.

Welcome to the world of handgun owners! :)

Thanks for realizing this and being understanding.

BigYansh

Apr 2, 2019
    PG County

Thanks for understanding.

BigYansh

Apr 2, 2019
    PG County
    The Beretta 92/96 is a large frame pistol meant more for open holster than concealed.

So why the Berretta as your first choice? What else have you shot? Why are you carrying and what situations or SD senarios do you expect to encounter? You have to train for the real world.

As for .40, that’s your choice but for a CCW chambering but I always recommend carrying what your local LEOs are issued as your starting point. As mentioned, most agencies are migrating back to 9mm from .40 thanks to improvement in JHP designs. As you gain experience in your shooting and CCW, you can experiment later with heavier calibers like 40 and 45 ACP. Golfers don’t carry 1 club or ball so neither should a shootist.

Probably won't be CCW'ing. I love the look and reliability of Berettas. Been a fan of the 90 series ever since I saw Leon the professional with his pistol with an SGS style compensator. My rifle will be seeing most of the action as I'm focusing on hunting. The pistol will be for more home protection and target practice.

Attachments

• nfPtNl_3o48x.gif
      nfPtNl_3o48x.gif
      92.2 KB · Views: 390
    • H3257-L78857204.jpg
      H3257-L78857204.jpg
      43.3 KB · Views: 406
    • leon_the_professional_wallpaper_2.jpg
      leon_the_professional_wallpaper_2.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 424
    Last edited:

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I have pistols in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45acp. I have the M&P Shield 9mm for CCW when I am on my property or when I travel out of the Democratic People's Republic of Maryland and go into America. Take your time shoot them all. It will depend on you and the gun. I had a Glock 27 40 S&W and couldn't wait to get rid of it, however my full size 40 S&W shoots great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom