• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titans77

Welcome to Fredneck
    Jul 29, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    So, I am looking at the Beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm for a first gun. I feel since it is sub-$500 online and 9mm is cheaper ammo, then this would be a good gun for weekend plinking at the range. I am also looking to CC this gun whenever we see the light of day to get permits. I know it is rather bulky to CC, but I am a very large guy so I feel that it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I really do like the rotating barrel of this gun, so I am avoiding the smaller compact variations of this gun. The big question I have is the difference in these 2 separate models.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ta+PX4+STORM+Type+F+9MM+17RD+MD+Compliant+wFC

or

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...d/18155/Beretta+PX4+Storm+Type+F+9mm+17+round

Other than the MD Compliant one being $2 cheaper, is there any difference at all that i'm just not seeing?

Also, what NEW single/double action 9mm pistols are in my price range of less than $500 should i be considering?

-Thanks in advanced for any and all help

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have heard people that love their PX4s but there is a reason that the Maryland State Police are swapping out theirs for Glocks. I have personally seen 2 trooper's weapons where the feed ramp was chipped and they only ever shot it during qualifying every 6 months. So these weapons only ever saw 300 rounds or so and were in horrible shape.

Personally I like FNs pistols, but that's me. Everyone is different.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    As far as the px4 goes...on the non-LEO side alot of people like them...i know a few people who have put in the area of 7500-10000 rounds through theirs without any major issues related to the gun (bad ammo is bad, no matter what its in)...on the leo side, well theres alot if hate...frankly i find alot of it hard to believe...i dont hear about any of these massive issues from the civi side, so its just odd that all leo models have the problems? You can argue round count...but again tge civi side has its fair share of people who have quite the appitite for ammo and they have no problems. As far as i know there is a section of the feed ramp that is poly, and cases will scratch and wear at it...however it gets to a point where its "broken in" if you will and the rounds stop "damaging" it. I cant say i like the way that works...but it seems to work.

Edit: check out the compact models, still have tge rotating barrel, but just shorter

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Like I said, there are plenty of people that love em but almost all of the MDSP Troopers I work with carry their personal glocks when not on duty and many switch to the glock once they arrive here at the building. So far, only 2 have been able to swap out their PX4 and the rest are anxiously waiting. I just know that from what I have personally witnessed and what I have been told by those that were issued them in the Sate Police, I wouldn't trust MY life to one, but that's just my opinion.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Not a fan. Personally to i have heard/seen quite a bit of problems. I would rather an fn, glock, xd/xdm or an m&p. And ehy buy online otd price would be similar local wen its all said and done. Goodluck on whatever you decide.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    /sigh

it's a good gun. i own one. i've got probably 3 or 4 thousands rounds through it, no significant issues. by "no significant issues" i mean, one time while cleaning it I popped the spring on the slide release lever accidently.

there's a lot of haters, though.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    It was my first handgun!

It has been terrific, great first gun, bought it two years ago. I have over 2000 rounds through it with NO problems at all. It has the lowest recoil of all the 9mm handguns I tested (M&P 9mm and Sig 9mm) making for a quicker second shot, and a more pleasent range experience. I Love the 17 round mags, less reloading at the range. The fit and finish of the gun is outstanding, very tight, it feels like its machined out of one piece of material. The actual finish on the gun is terrific, it still looks brand new. No problem with being finnicky with ammo and no problem with hollow points, they all feed great. The accesory rail is handy too, I mounted a laser site on it. The safety/decocker is a great feature too. IMO the PX4 should be a $1000 gun.

I cant say enough good things about the PX4 Storm 9mm.:thumbsup:

BTW, I need to buy another PX4 Storm, I lost my whole collection in a freak skiff accident on the bay last week in heavy seas. Never take your whole collection out on the bay!

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I shot one surprisingly well when I rented it at gun range once. I've heard of the rotating locking barrel getting gummed up and causing issues with it if you go too long before cleaning it but those are the people (I count myself among them) that like to go as long as possible before cleaning their pistols so if you clean it once every 1000 rounds you should be fine.

There was a model I found that was DAO and I didn't like how long and heavy the trigger was but if you get a DA/SA model it shouldn't be a problem.

For that price though you could get a M&P 9mm or Walther PPQ. Hell if you can find a dealer to fire a spent shell casing you can get a a Sig Pro SP2022 for $350 shipped + transfer.

elmerjr128

Mar 15, 2011

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    As far as the px4 goes...on the non-LEO side alot of people like them...i know a few people who have put in the area of 7500-10000 rounds through theirs without any major issues related to the gun (bad ammo is bad, no matter what its in)...on the leo side, well theres alot if hate...frankly i find alot of it hard to believe...i dont hear about any of these massive issues from the civi side, so its just odd that all leo models have the problems? You can argue round count...but again tge civi side has its fair share of people who have quite the appitite for ammo and they have no problems. As far as i know there is a section of the feed ramp that is poly, and cases will scratch and wear at it...however it gets to a point where its "broken in" if you will and the rounds stop "damaging" it. I cant say i like the way that works...but it seems to work.

Edit: check out the compact models, still have tge rotating barrel, but just shorter

The compact PX4 is awesome. It has ambidextrous slide catch levers too. The only PX4 Compacts and PX4 Full Size guns I see back are for failure to feed - due to there being ABSOLUTELY NO LUBRICATION PRESENT - AT ALL, or accuracy.

9/10 PX4 pistols I have to shoot for accuracy (sub-compact, compact and full-size) shoot just fine (customer error). Some need sight adjustents but that's it.

I have seen the oddball "broken" PX4 but it's usually range guns (abused to hell) or case head separations/ammo malfunctions. Even GLOCK makes a defective pistol now and then. If you like the ergos of the PX4 I wouldn't hesitate. I personally prefer the D model (because I despise DA/SA) but good luck finding one... ;)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    +1 on the Cougar. 5k+ flawless rounds through mine. It was my first handgun, as well.

The Cougar is also great, either in Beretta or Stoeger marque. You are correct, they share the same rotating barrel system. The Cougar has a little less recoil too, having a metal frame.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    I've got a PX4 .40, love it. My first real gun, and so I'll probably keep it forever... I've probably put 1200 rounds through it now, no issues. Only thing is the junk Tulammo doesn't have enough power to lock the slide back every time. But that's horrible ammo, very dirty and noticeable weaker than normal bulk ammo so I've never bought it again.

Of course, I do clean it after every range trip, if I had money to blow I would be tempted to run it until it started jamming before cleaning it, but I don't see the point in abusing a $500 pistol. I bought this for defense, not for messing around.

If the gun fits your hands, get it! The grip backstraps are replaceable so you can tailor it a little to fit your hands better. The default medium grip was a perfect fit to my hands, and that combined with the big white dot sights made me fall in love with it. Now after shooting for a while, I might have gone with an XD over the PX4 but that's a striker fired gun with the normal barrel style, completely different than a SA/DA hammer gun with the rotating barrel.

For carry, the compact version is a little shorter and still features the rotating barrel like mentioned above.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Of course, I do clean it after every range trip, if I had money to blow I would be tempted to run it until it started jamming before cleaning it, but I don't see the point in abusing a $500 pistol.

Why not? It is nice to know the limitations of your equipment. :D The PX guns work well as long as the barrel and locking block are properly lubricated. Glad you're liking your PX though. :thumbsup:

But I understand the logic. I just pulled out an old Army training manual I have (printed in 2001) and it tells you to clean your M16 after shooting 200 rounds... :rolleyes:

Sure your weapons can rust/corrode if not properly protected but really, quality weapons won't stop working until they're EXCESSIVELY dirty. It takes thousands or tens of thousands of rounds to foul up most modern weapons with enough carbon to stop them. Obviously if you drop your gun in mud/sand/water you should clean it but under range conditions, cleaning your guns sooner than every 500 rounds or so is unnecessary, IMO.

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    Why not? It is nice to know the limitations of your equipment. :D The PX guns work well as long as the barrel and locking block are properly lubricated. Glad you're liking your PX though. :thumbsup:

But I understand the logic. I just pulled out an old Army training manual I have (printed in 2001) and it tells you to clean your M16 after shooting 200 rounds... :rolleyes:

Sure your weapons can rust/corrode if not properly protected but really, quality weapons won't stop working until they're EXCESSIVELY dirty. It takes thousands or tens of thousands of rounds to foul up most modern weapons with enough carbon to stop them. Obviously if you drop your gun in mud/sand/water you should clean it but under range conditions, cleaning your guns sooner than every 500 rounds or so is unnecessary, IMO.

All good points, I know I could go a few hundred, maybe few thousand rounds and be fine, but it only takes me a few minutes to clean it and gives total peace of mind should I ever actually need to use it in a defense scenario. One issue is the rotating barrel, if that gets gummed up, it can start causing FTEs and stovepipes.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I love my PX4's. Forget what the haters say and try one. You'll be sold on it. It is a little big for carry, but I can just fine.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think the issue is with HP/Open Tip type ammo on the polymer portion of the feed ramp. A non-leo shooter that uses straight ball ammo wouldn't have the same problems as someone shooting HP ammo.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    According to Beretta, the feed ramp isn't as critical a part on the PX4 as it is on other pistols. I find it hard to believe, but they said they successfully ran a PX4 with no feed ramp.

Chet002

Jun 10, 2011
    Towson
    Great gun!

Had mine for about 6 months now.....probably about 3000 rounds and absolutely no problems. Cleaned twice throughout the time I've had it.
    On occasion, a spent shell will pop me in the forehead but if it's happened 20 times, I'd be surprised......
    Love the PX4......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom