• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I did a Faux Dissy with a more modern approach using ultradyne sights, free float handguard, and carbine length gas system

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Then….is it still a dissipator?

Don't ask me. I know the most sought after aspect of the Dissy was the 16" barrel with rifle length sight radius. The rifle gas was always the stumbling block. Little dwell time, which drastically limited the ammunition it would eat. A mid-length gas system fixed that.

Even your 'old friend' built his Dissies with a free floating rail and middie gas. He drilled through the front site block so he could adjust the SLR GB, if memory serves...

Again. I'm not an expert on Dissies.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Don't ask me. I know the most sought after aspect of the Dissy was the 16" barrel with rifle length sight radius. The rifle gas was always the stumbling block. Little dwell time, which drastically limited the ammunition it would eat. A mid-length gas system fixed that.

Even your 'old friend' built his Dissies with a free floating rail and middie gas. He drilled through the front site block so he could adjust the SLR GB, if memory serves...

The allure of the Dissies was the sight radius. Only a small number would care if it had the rifle length gas system, more would probably care if it didn't have the delta ring hand guards.

But when I built mine I wanted the longer sight radius and got the longest sight radius you can have on 16" barrel, FS is right behind the muzzle device.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The allure of the Dissies was the sight radius. Only a small number would care if it had the rifle length gas system, more would probably care if it didn't have the delta ring hand guards.

But when I built mine I wanted the longer sight radius and got the longest sight radius you can have on 16" barrel, FS is right behind the muzzle device.

There are always drop-in metal hand guards. And Windham (pictured below) makes an HBAR dissi upper. This one has carbine gas system and a 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Attachments

• rifle-556-spikes-dissipator-alt1.jpg
      rifle-556-spikes-dissipator-alt1.jpg
      81.7 KB · Views: 231

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

Your memory is correct as a friend bought that upper from him.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

The original 16" with rifle gas/larger port is really smooth, and suppresses awesome, more than just the long handguard. US ammo ran fine, lighter commercial .223 could choke it. A short dwell can be tuned around to be reliable, and offers significant advantages when suppressed, usually less port pop, and less of a difference in suppressed vs unsuppressed gas settings.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The original 16" with rifle gas/larger port is really smooth, and suppresses awesome, more than just the long handguard. US ammo ran fine, lighter commercial .223 could choke it. A short dwell can be tuned around to be reliable, and offers significant advantages when suppressed, usually less port pop, and less of a difference in suppressed vs unsuppressed gas settings.

That is interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom