• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I want to remove my front site base. I had 1 guy take a stab at it, and it didn't even budge. Doe anybody know a local smith that could take care of this for me? I'm trying to gte it done by this Friday for the group shoot.

Thanks.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Heat is your friend, hot enough to make the different steels expand and break the "sticking". Kroil is great stuff too. Proper sized drift pin tools. Barrel in a solid, padded vise on a solid work surface. Careful tapping with a small hammer. I assume these pins are horizontal and athwart the bore (pics would help a lot). They'll go from left to right as seen from the breech.

I'm going to assume we are talking an AR, take a 1/16" roll pin punch supporting the barrel and sight solidly, tap them out doesn't matter from which side as the pin's aren't tapered. They do bisect the barrel which will have two channels cut in it. You will then need to remove the flash hider and muscle the base off. You will find that under it the barrel is not parked, are you replacing it with something different? You really don’t need any heat just patients. Good luck! And remember support!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'm going to assume we are talking an AR, take a 1/16" roll pin punch supporting the barrel and sight solidly, tap them out doesn't matter from which side as the pin's aren't tapered.
    Assuming we are talking about a standard factory installed mil-spec AR-15 front sight base, this is incorrect, the pins ARE tapered and must come out from a specific direction. A roll pin punch, with the projecting tip, is not the right tool for the job, and will be immediately ruined if used thus. They are solid taper pins, not roll pins, and closer to 1/8" at the small end.
    They do bisect the barrel which will have two channels cut in it. You will then need to remove the flash hider and muscle the base off. You will find that under it the barrel is not parked, are you replacing it with something different? You really don’t need any heat just patients. Good luck! And remember support!
    The part about solid support, such as a steel bench block, is quite important. I have had to apply gentle heat and penetrating oil to get some of these pins loose, they are often in there tightly enough to damage a Starrett pin punch.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    +1 to what Ed Shell said. If you don't have the right tools and/or don't have experience working on stuff like this, don't try to do it yourself. I suggest you call Rich at Fulton Armory and plead your case with him. I know they've tightened up on walk-in stuff, but they might make an exception for you. You might check with Dan at Gun Connection to see if he has pulled FSBs and if he has, I'm sure he would take care of you.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Also- Are you planning on replacing it with a low profile gas block or railed gas block? If you've never done this before it can be tricky. You need the proper sized roll pin punch to knock out the gas tube roll pin. You then need to properly line up the gas port in the barrel with the gas port in the block and secure the block with what most likely will be set screws. You also need to ensure you have the gas port in the gas tube properly aligned in the block and repin that with a roll pin. If you don't get it right it will be readily apparent when your gun will not cycle due to lack of gas. The good thing about getting Fulton to do it is that they can test fire it right there to ensure it is cycling properly. Good luck.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    With taper pins, the trick is that it takes a lot of force to knock them loose, but once loose, they tap right out with little effort. I use a small carbide center punch to make a dent on the "small side" of the pins. Then I clamp the FSB with about 1/4 of the width of the barrel outside of the vise jaws in a big plastic padded vise, line a 1/2" center punch with the punch marks, and smack it good with a 3lb mini sledge, this has only taken 2 or 3 hits to knock out the most stubborn pins, and has not marred or bent the sight or barrel. If you keep hitting the pins too lightly, they will mushroom over, and make it even harder for them to move. I avoid using heat as much as I can, but if you must use it, heat only the pins and lugs, heating slowly and evenly until a drop of oil on the barrel next to the FSB lugs (but not touching it) starts to smoke, then stop, you do not want it even close to glowing red.

It is not neccesary, but when I am installing a clamp-on FSB that does not require taper pins, I use a thin coat of red loc-tite in the pin channels, lightly hammer the pins back in without the sight base on, then gently grind the pins to the barrel's contour, and then paint over the exposed metal with the closest matching epoxy paint I can find, after this you can't tell where the pins start and the barrel ends. line up the sight, clamp it on, then you are set to go.

A trick I learned about how to line up the base is to use a spare firing pin from a newer model S&W revolver, put the small end of the pin in the barrel port, and the large end will barely fit in the new base, mark it's position, pull off the base, remove the pin, and reinstall, torquing the screws evenly.

You can also verify center and if needed tweak it slightly by bore sighting it with the rear windage set to the middle.

Last edited:
    Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Oh, jeez... it didn't occur to me he might have been talking about one of those black plastic Mattel mid-range varmint semiautos. I thought we were talking about a real rifle. :sign01:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    give james a break, guy, he's a nice guy and cannot be blamed for his black rifle. It needed a home, was lonely and forlorn, and begged to be cleaned, oiled, and let live in his gun locker.

(sorry james, couldnt resist!)

Assuming we are talking about a standard factory installed mil-spec AR-15 front sight base, this is incorrect, the pins ARE tapered and must come out from a specific direction. A roll pin punch, with the projecting tip, is not the right tool for the job, and will be immediately ruined if used thus. They are solid taper pins, not roll pins, and closer to 1/8" at the small end.
    The part about solid support, such as a steel bench block, is quite important. I have had to apply gentle heat and penetrating oil to get some of these pins loose, they are often in there tightly enough to damage a Starrett pin punch.

+1

These pins are tough to get moving. Brownells sells a special block to hold and support everything securely. I pulled many of these and none are easy. The proper tools make a difference. They are tapered.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Hit 'em hard enough and they will move!

When I took some out of my J&T upper recently, I did have to put considerable effort into the removal process. Mine were straight pins, not tapered, so definitely not milspec.

A hydraulic press might be easier, if you have access to one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom