• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I recollect a discussion with USMC son when he was first able to CC. (At the time, I was a staunch 1911 guy.). Son was determined to carry a full size 1911. When asked why, his reply was “.45 kills their soul”. My offering to him (he can shoot like nobody I know) was “...if I could shoot like you, I’d carry a .22.”

Today, years later, he most often carries a G19.

I’m getting to my point...which follows Blaster. Good modern ammo...any of it, will do the job IF you put it in the right place, the first time.

The best, most expensive, most highly touted ammo in the world won’t do jack or shiit if you miss.

Buying more and more expensive guns or ammo or holsters is something folks with too much money and not enough sense do. Invest in training. Practice, practice and practice some more. “Put yourself in the position to be lucky.” Muscle memory is your friend. Training is money.

Bullets of any type are just that.
    Shot placement...of more than one shot (IMO)...is always going to be the biggest factor. 2 hits center mass from standard NATO .45 Ball ammo should be sufficient for just about anyone and should immediately drop the target. Have a good friend in SF. He likes to shoot (and is an amazing shot with his 1911), but is not a gun guy. He uses army issue .45. Says he’s never had anyone get back up. He’s never shot gelatin.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I read every new Marshall and Sanow Stopping Power ammo statistic written in the gun mags. After realizing one shot typically will not do the job, and time would be needed to realize even multiple shots effect on target, I stopped chasing that ultimate loading. I even was chastised for using a 357 Mag loading with "only" 88% on shot stop effectiveness in my house gun. I responded, "Well, it will probably take at least two shots so that is 176% (yeah, I know, it doesn't really work like that). In 9mm or any defensive caliber I use any modern credible loading that runs in the gun and I know the POI. It will be shot placement, yada yada that get's me through an ordeal. In 45 ACP, I really wouldn't have issue with 230 ball except over penetration, which in that loading isn't as prevalent as some portray.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Good shot placement with a .5" diameter x 13" deep permantent cavity is good. Good shot placement with a .8" diameter x 14" deep cavity is better. There is nothing bad about wanting a cartridge that creates a larger permanent wound cavity more reliably than other offerings.... given that other factors(recoil, flash, rapport, capacity) are equal. A .2" difference in diameter can be the difference between hitting an artery and not hitting an artery. A larger hole also has the potential to leak faster.

Is better equipment a replacement for skill? No....but It's still better equipment. It'd be foolish to discount it because of the presence of other factors. So, gold dots, HST, and DPX for the win simply because they perform more reliably and better than essentially everything else out right now.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    All these people wanting a round to do the job when shooting skill, confidence, and knowing to stay in the fight is what it takes.
    What ya got when that .45 230 gr doesn't take his soul the first time? Do you have the confidence to stay on it? Keep telling yourself that 1 round of any caliber "should do the job", then you'll expect it. But when it doesn't....
    If you can land 1 of any caliber from a draw, you can certainly land more since you're already out on target.

I'll take Pat McNamara with a 9mm hi point in a fight before I'd take anyone on the forum with .45 or 10mm 3k safe queen.
    Your mindset has to be more "killier" than your caliber.

I sure hope I'm able to use my G42, G43, or HK45C if it came time to use either of those I swap around carrying.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Aren’t there reports of the first, 2, or 3 shots going wild in the heat of the moment? I think that has to be mentioned and trained out of anyone in a defensive situation.

There was underreported “mass” shooting in Baltimore at a BBQ and everyone that was shot was hit in the leg or ankle. Did he shoot low, or more likely jerk the trigger?

Last edited:

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Hit them with a sabot round first and then Dragon's Breath to cauterize the wound so they don't bleed all over your floor.

Set the whole house on fire with the dragons breath so you don't have to worry about multiple intruders

Carry good home owners insurance though

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom