• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Rep. Hudson to introduce Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017

Republican Congressman Richard Hudson from North Carolina is set to introduce national concealed carry legislation for the next congress after Donald Trump is sworn in as president.

The bill, known as the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, will allow a person with a concealed carry permit in one state to carry a handgun in any other state that permits residents to conceal carry, as long as the person is not banned from possessing or transporting a firearm under federal law, The Daily Caller has learned.
    As written, NR permits will allow carry in other states ETA now to include MD for MD residents

Attachments

• Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017.pdf
      42.8 KB · Views: 917
    Last edited:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Mr. Hudson and others of like mind have got to change the language to include we disenfranchised states. A permit from any state should do the trick. :tdown:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Mr. Hudson and others of like mind have got to change the language to include we disenfranchised states. A permit from any state should do the trick. :tdown:

I agree. If they want to help us, they should be willing to help us ALL.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    May be I am missing something. However, I respectfully disagree with OPs assertion. The bill as written would allow someone to conceal carry with a non-residential conceal carry permit in their home state.

Two reasons:

1) the bill doesn't have a residency requirement. Page 2, Line 17 makes it clear that any Conceal carry Permit (no distinction made between home or NR) issued by a State will suffice and fall under national conceal carry reciprocity irrespective of residency.

2) The bill does not treat home-state issued permits vs non-residential issued permits differently, but empowers both equally. At least that is my interpretation.

This would mean a resident of Maryland or NYC could obtain a Non-Residential conceal carry permit issued by another state and they would be able to carry in their home state.

With that said IANAL, but we will have a very pro-2A USAG and DOJ.

Happy Friday

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

One step at a time. Let's not penalize the rest of the country because of the few. Once they get something close to this passed, then places like MD and governor Hogan will be under more pressure to correct things. We can't have cake AND icing. lol

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    May be I am missing something. However, I respectfully disagree with OPs assertion. The bill as written would allow someone to conceal carry with a non-residential conceal carry permit in their home state.

Two reasons:

1) the bill doesn't have a residency requirement. Page 2, Line 17 makes it clear that any Conceal carry Permit (no distinction made between home or NR) issued by a State will suffice and fall under national conceal carry reciprocity irrespective of residency.

2) The bill does not treat home-state issued permits vs non-residential issued permits differently, but empowers both equally. At least that is my interpretation.

This would mean a resident of Maryland or NYC could obtain a Non-Residential conceal carry permit issued by another state and they would be able to carry in their home state.

With that said IANAL, but we will have a very pro-2A USAG and DOJ.

Happy Friday

"and who is
    14 carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant
    15 to the law of a State and which permits the person to
    16 carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a con-
    17 cealed firearm in the State in which the person resides,)

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Yep. When you think of it, they are doing what is right for their constituency, to restore their rights with the least risk via a 10A challenge. As much as it sucks for us in slave states, it is hard logic to argue with.

I don't think we will ever see NR reciprocity. Creating a new FFL class similar to a C&R on steroids that would supersede State carry, possession, transport, and transfer laws, seems like the best way for us in slave states to regain our rights in the short-term without (as many) 10A issues. The idea is not to replace state based reciprocity, but provide another avenue for those that cannot get a home state permit, or want additional Federally granted privileges such as direct Internet sales.

I also would like to see congress gut DC's registration, transport, and may-issue laws, but with Wrenn being potentially the strongest SCOTUS contender, I don't see that happening anytime soon either.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    Be careful what you wish for Gentleman, do you really want the Federal Government to be the issuing agency and therefore the "country's policeman" in keeping a registry of gun permit holders with
    the ability to use that information for any purpose they, (another Obama Administration type or worse) deem necessary?? No thanks, this should be a State run proposal not a Federal.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Be careful what you wish for Gentleman, do you really want the Federal Government to be the issuing agency and therefore the "country's policeman" in keeping a registry of gun permit holders with
    the ability to use that information for any purpose they, (another Obama or worse) deem necessary?? No thanks, this should be a State run proposal not a Federal.

They would not be issuing anything, just making CCW permits recognized like driver's licenses. Now, if this was a national CCW permit, that would be different.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    the ability to use that information for any purpose they, (another Obama Administration type or worse) deem necessary?? No thanks, this should be a State run proposal not a Federal.

Certinly I would never want the Fed to unilaterally control permits, and I am definitely not suggesting that. I am only suggesting an additional option. You could go to your state or you could go to the Feds if your state doesn't want to cooperate. Think of it similar to how DoS issues driver licenses for diplomats. In most cases they could get a DL from whatever state they are living in while here, but they can also go to the State department and get one there instead.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    Lets not pretend that the suggestion has not already been made by LOTS of people (some even on this forum) that a National CCW program be considered (as proposed by Trump) on the campaign circuit. So why you may not be talking exactly about this type of proposal in this thread, that thinking has been floated out to the public in many forums including this one many times before..........Not a good idea IMHO.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    "But they can also go to the State department and get one there instead."

The last time I checked The State Department was a Federal entity........just saying.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Lets not pretend that the suggestion has not already been made by LOTS of people (some even on this forum) that a National CCW program be considered (as proposed by Trump) on the campaign circuit. So why you may not be talking exactly about this type of proposal in this thread, that thinking has been floated out to the public in many forums including this one many times before..........Not a good idea IMHO.

Agree. But there is a fundamental difference between saying, let's pull everything from the states and make the ATF the CCW politburo, versus enabling state based reciprocity, as the above bill does, but also allowing the Feds to issue their own permits as well for those of us that are disenfranchised.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    "But they can also go to the State department and get one there instead."

The last time I checked The State Department was a Federal entity........just saying.

True. What is your suggestion then to force MD, DC, NJ, NY, HI, or CA to issue you a permit or allow you to carry, if you happen to be unfortunate enough to live there? As I see it the only options are:

1) Non-resident permit reciprocity. Never going to happen for 10A issues.

2) Federally mandated state shall-issue. Also riddled with 10A issues, and a slippery slope to centralized training requirements.

3) Wait it out for SCOTUS to resolve on 2A or equal protection grounds, similar to gay marriage. This is probably ideal, but the longest play with considerable risk that it never happens.

4) Have a dual system, as I suggested, where you can go to your state OR the feds. This is the only approach I can think of that immediately gives us our rights and protects legal standing to achieve #3 above.

Call me selfish, but I've been deprived of my rights long enough. If I have to go to the Feds for the time being, until the courts work things out and force the states to abide by the constitution, I'm ok with that.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA

Says the person that according to your signature already has a MD WC permit. So if you don't really travel anywhere I guess this doesn't really affect you.

I on the other hand was told by the licensing division that my family and myself were not important enough to exercise the privilege. This is a big deal to me and millions of other Americans.

Personally I don't see this as a State issue. I see it that States, even shall-issue States, are getting away with infringing on a Constitutionally protected right. I would love to see the Justice Department come down to all these States and say "You know what you are violating the rights' of the people and we are going start holding your State employees personally accountable."

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    they can't without stepping on the 10A. That's why it's wriiten the way it is.
    Line 15 is a bit confusing
    c4a0e84ca32c94569eb5f8c38b7c8969.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom