• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    What's a good bolt action rifle that comes with a threaded barrel? Looking for a lower cost entry level rifle, but dependable. I've considered a Remington 700, but are there better rifles in the same price range?

Mbutt

Feb 18, 2019
    I would take a look at the Thompson center compass as well as the ruger American. I personally own a Thompson center which I shoot steel wolf or Tula ammo through and the accuracy is just incredible. My close friend was able to shoot a 1 inch group at 200yrds and the rifle is garaunteed 1moa. Also, from what I’ve heard the new Remingtons are not made near as well as the older.

Dav

Apr 12, 2018
    Forest Hill, Maryland
    Those Ruger Americans have been very tempting, even more so since they ditched to rotary mags for the AICS mags. I've also been looking at the Savage 110s because with a vise and wrench you can change barrels relatively easily.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    I'm looking to get back into long range precision myself.

Caliber:
    Everyone seems to be raving about the 6.5 and it would seem to be better from a precision stand point. Isn't the army looking to replace the 5.56 with 6.5 ? But for now, I'm going to stick to the .308 as well.
    Reason being:
    - I don't need another caliber to try and stockpile
    - General availability
    - Price
    - Other owned weapon of same caliber, aka interchangeability.

https://rifleshooter.com/2017/12/why-308-the-case-for-308-winchester/

Stock:
    Traditional or Modular. I am still debating this and reading further.

The modular AR looking / parts does have some appeal but somehow just doesn't feel like it would be rugged enough. I am thinking more of an all around bolt, such as one that could be carried into hill country for hunting and not just a bench shooter. I have read complaints about the buttstocks on the modular being too wobbly. I have not personal experience on the matter. As such, and maybe more personal preference as well is the traditional hunting type stock like : http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...el-blue-finish-synthetic-stock-111-twist-10rd

Traditional seem to be a bit less in the $$$ as well.

Brand:

We had the rem 700 based rifle in my platoon. Sniper's-hide has a custom Ashbury Precision Ordnance custom rifle based on the 700 platform, and Cabela's has the base Ashbury Saber M700 on sale for 999. I haven't sat down to see what the difference is, probably trigger job on the SH for starters. Also , upgrade and replacement parts highly available. Or straight up buy a Remington 700.

Another RAVE online is Tikka , Tikka, Tikka.... Every read says right out of the box awesome. I've been eyeing the t3x CTR linked above, along with the more pricy and modular TAC A1. Make sure the threading is correct, as some of their models don't use 5/8-24 , and instead use 18x1.

I also read great things about HOWA. kstone mentioned the Weatherby, which I think uses the howa 1500 barrel. The HACT Trigger on the HOWA HCR gets good reviews, it's a two stage, but youtube'rs say the Savage Accutrigger is better. I have a Savage B17 and love that trigger.

http://store.jlowesguns.com/rifles/...-5-rounds-6-position-buffer-tube-black-finish

The Savage B10 Stealth Evolution was on my list. But, it's a good bit pricier and I've read there have been a small percentage of feed / ejection issues. But, solid shooter nonetheless.

Then there are the others. Bergara, Thompson Center, Ruger, Mossberg, etc, so many choices. How does one choose? Is this how women feel about shoe shopping?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I have a 700 SPS Tactical and i really like it. however if you want something different or cheaper sign up for grab a gun, i see them post great deals all the time for 308 rifles with threaded barrels. Sometime as low as 350.00-399.00.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    At this point, you kinda have to work to find a US-made bolt gun that's not GTG. Even the Mossberg MVPs will do about 1MOA with the right ammo.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Ive got a Ruger Gunsite Scout. Im very happy with it. It is a 16 inch barrel. Which is nice if your are thinking of using a suppressor.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Gotta love threads like this - most either post what they currently have, or what they currently want.

This one should actually be pretty simple - Remington 700 SPS with a threaded barrel. /thread.

I know that the OP was looking for a "lower cost" rifle and wondered if there wasn't something better than the Remington 700 in that price range. The way I see it, although some might be able to claim that there's equivalent value from another rifle, it's hard to dismiss the "value" of the 700 when it comes to sheer volume of readily available aftermarket accessories and options - probably more than all other rifles combined.

I know that when I finally get to a place where I'm going to do a tactical rifle build, it's going to be on a Remington 700 platform, simply because it's kind of the rifle that all others are compared to.

Cornelius

Trust Me, I Sell Cars
    Mar 5, 2019
    MD
    At this point, you kinda have to work to find a US-made bolt gun that's not GTG. Even the Mossberg MVPs will do about 1MOA with the right ammo.

I own the Mossberg MVP, threaded, 16" barrel. It's a bit rough around the edges but takes AR-10 mags has a tight lock up and is really quite accurate for the money. I have never regretted it. A very handy .308 and certainly serves it's purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom