CCW strategies in MD...thinking out loud here...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattjans

Feb 19, 2017
    Rockville, MD
    Hi folks...I can't believe this hasn't been asked, so point me to the thread if there's one already that you know of. I did a little searching and didn't see one.

Question: What are some "unconventional" CCW applicaiton strategies that folks have used to obtain one in MD? Feel free to message me if you don't want to share publicly.

I've read a bit about it, and MD sounds at least as restrictive as CA (where I just moved from). I don't own a business, don't do security, don't carry diamonds every day, etc. Have "I work/live in a dangerous area" arguments worked?

Just learned a couple of weeks ago that MD permits are pretty restrictive even if you get them, in that they only permit you to carry in the specific area or while doing the specific work you say you need the permit for. So if you're a process server, you can carry while doing that work, but not otherwise.

Are law enforcement allowed to carry when off-duty? Or do they need a separate permit for that? When we lived in Los Angeles, I was looking into the LAPD reserves corp, and found out that one benefit was making it easier to get a concealed carry.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences you can share!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Buy property and/or start a business. Maryland allows property to be protected. Your life, not so much. There are special carve outs for LEO, but I do not think we have a police "reserves" corp like LAPD reserves.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Buy property and/or start a business. Maryland allows property to be protected. Your life, not so much. There are special carve outs for LEO, but I do not think we have a police "reserves" corp like LAPD reserves.

If you start a business en route to applying for a CCW, you need to make sure it is a legitimate business and that there is a business need that justifies carrying a firearm. Mine is incorporated, owns property, carries insurance, and actually does business and can prove it with invoices, a P&L statement, registered articles of incorporation, and state tax receipts. I included all of that stuff with my application. Don't think that you can make a shell business and sneak it past the MDSP.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    If you start a business en route to applying for a CCW, you need to make sure it is a legitimate business and that there is a business need that justifies carrying a firearm. Mine is incorporated, owns property, carries insurance, and actually does business and can prove it with invoices, a P&L statement, registered articles of incorporation, and state tax receipts. I included all of that stuff with my application. Don't think that you can make a shell business and sneak it past the MDSP.

Is your permit restricted?

I’m curious because I’m a business owner myself with similar structure to yours. I can carry while at my business premises, but I just figured what is the point of getting a restricted permit if would only allow me to essentially travel too and from work or the occasional jobsite. I do drive a company car and I do carry expensive equipment with me often.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Is your permit restricted?

I’m curious because I’m a business owner myself with similar structure to yours. I can carry while at my business premises, but I just figured what is the point of getting a restricted permit if would only allow me to essentially travel too and from work or the occasional jobsite. I do drive a company car and I do carry expensive equipment with me often.

You need to read the HPRB threads.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you start a business en route to applying for a CCW, you need to make sure it is a legitimate business and that there is a business need that justifies carrying a firearm.

Legitimate, obviously. What will be interesting to see is whether people involved in the legal medical pot business, but who are not otherwise users, will be able to get a permit. Pot is a legitimate business in MD now, which primarily relies on cash - until its legal at the federal level anyway.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Legitimate, obviously. What will be interesting to see is whether people involved in the legal medical pot business, but who are not otherwise users, will be able to get a permit. Pot is a legitimate business in MD now, which primarily relies on cash - until its legal at the federal level anyway.

That's a really interesting point. I wonder how the exchange with the trooper will go.
    Trooper: Why do you need to have a firearm for work?
    Pot shop owner: Dude, I transport lots of bud and massive cash.
    Trooper: Denied.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Just ask very nicely.

Attachments

• ccw.jpg
      ccw.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 698

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Easy, become a dog trainer.

I was wondering about this as my wife and I are starting a dog rescue. Wonder what restrictions they would put on a permit for that business. We plan on pulling dogs from kill shelters.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I was wondering about this as my wife and I are starting a dog rescue. Wonder what restrictions they would put on a permit for that business. We plan on pulling dogs from kill shelters.

The usual restrictions are while conducting business. Most have been successful in getting the lifted by the review board. Get the permit first, worry about the restrictions after.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Maryland law specifically states that lethal force MAY NOT be used in the protection of property.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    to the OP;

When you write up you "good and substantial" reason, you are essentially writing your (eventual) permit restrictions.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That's a really interesting point. I wonder how the exchange with the trooper will go.
    Trooper: Why do you need to have a firearm for work?
    Pot shop owner: Dude, I transport lots of bud and massive cash.
    Trooper: Denied.

The cash "handling" will most likely be done by hired private security.
    Had a co worker "interview" for "security" for one dispensary. He thought it was to work directly for them, but it wasn't.

I enquired about another dispensary with whom I have an acquaintance thinking I could be his "security director guy", and was told the same thing. Some outside firm. That ain't happenin'.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    You're allowed to transport firearms between your home and place of business without a permit, just not loaded or on you. No permit required. and you may carry a gun at your residence and at your business with no permit either. So at least you can do that for now. Remember.. baltimore city cops don't care about your permit and you probably should just not go there. it's a war zone

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom