• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I am really digging my Nite Hawk. I put a sailcloth/leather barton band on it and it is just super light and comfortable as an everyday watch. The flat tube T100 tritium is amazing.

Attachments

• 20200302_105042.jpg
      20200302_105042.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 407

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My Seiko I bought in 1984 right after basic. Still going strong.
    And cheapo Breitling I picked up a few months back.
    4ab0c160c27c965c9fae0116785fbf3c.jpg
    52fda78d800f35af6a180b4ee4ca491b.jpg

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Anyone have input on the Hamilton Watches, made for military ? Thinking of looking more at the WWII or Vietnam vintage watches. I like the story, the look and the Made in USA.

I like things with a story and this fits the bill.

I do not own a single watch.

This one I would wear.

Going price? One for sale? DIY fix if the glass is bad? Repair not too costly? What to look for?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Anyone have input on the Hamilton Watches, made for military ? Thinking of looking more at the WWII or Vietnam vintage watches. I like the story, the look and the Made in USA.

This one I would wear.

Going price? One for sale? DIY fix if the glass is bad? Repair not too costly? What to look for?

I don’t have any of the old Hamilton military watches but you can easily find them. Parts aren’t too hard to come by, there’s a watchmaker in Silver Spring that has tons of parts for vintage watches. (PM me if you want his info)
    You can also go with one of Hamilton’s new versions of their military watches.
    They are handwind (mechanical) not automatic.
    I used to have the black dialed version shown below.

5ffd870c36b22199072dba0cd0c86587.jpg

I recently sold it and bought the white dialed version
    They are fantastic watches
    3b7d35c38df7ec3bdaf29bfec36b81a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    I don’t have any of the old Hamilton military watches but you can easily find them. Parts aren’t too hard to come by, there’s a watchmaker in Silver Spring that has tons of parts for vintage watches. (PM me if you want his info)
    You can also go with one of Hamilton’s new versions of their military watches.
    They are handwind (mechanical) not automatic.
    I used to have the black dialed version shown below.

5ffd870c36b22199072dba0cd0c86587.jpg

I recently sold it and bought the white dialed version
    They are fantastic watches
    3b7d35c38df7ec3bdaf29bfec36b81a7.jpg

In this enforced downtime, I think I'll be digging through my old footlockers. Looking at the pictures, I remember getting issued a few of the blackface models.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    In this enforced downtime, I think I'll be digging through my old footlockers. Looking at the pictures, I remember getting issued a few of the blackface models.

One for sale......?

Imagine how many other men and women could say the same. Great US history stashed away! Perfect quarantine pass time to spring clean things.

Thanks for your service, too.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    One for sale......?

Imagine how many other men and women could say the same. Great US history stashed away! Perfect quarantine pass time to spring clean things.

Thanks for your service, too.
    With some notable exceptions, the average watch that would have been issued out 2001-present was more along the lines of Timex, Suunto, G Shock, Garmin Phoenix, etc. Great watches but definitely won't be collectible like the Hamiltons.

Back when the GWOT money was flowing full tilt, you'd occasionally see small organizations burn obscene money on stuff like the Breitling Emergency, various extremely high end dive watches, etc. Alas I missed out on those opportunities, for the most part

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    With some notable exceptions, the average watch that would have been issued out 2001-present was more along the lines of Timex, Suunto, G Shock, Garmin Phoenix, etc. Great watches but definitely won't be collectible like the Hamiltons.

Back when the GWOT money was flowing full tilt, you'd occasionally see small organizations burn obscene money on stuff like the Breitling Emergency, various extremely high end dive watches, etc. Alas I missed out on those opportunities, for the most part

Saying you got a USGI Rolex for cheap?

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD

If i can find them, they would have been from early 80's through early GWOT. We had to sign for them from supply and were "supposed" to have a turn in for replacement :innocent0

Damn, now you guys really have my curiosity peaked.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

This one I would wear.

Hamiltons are good watches. Collectible as another poster mentioned? No.

Unless you are talking about vintage models, then maybe.

Hamiltons for the most part use a base ETA or Sellita movement. Older ones will prob have an ETA. Sellita's are high end clones of ETA movements, so either is fine.

Advantages to these watches is they are highly serviceable by most watch repair businesses, so you won't wince as bad every 4-6 years when you need to pay to have it serviced.

Think of a Hamilton as a modern Honda. Many different models, all with the same 2 liter turbo across almost the entire range.

It will serve you well. If Hamilton is your price range, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Seiko Presage line. There is NO competition in the under $1000 mark when comparing what Seiko brings to the table in their automatic lineup.

Then there's more crap than good between $1000 and $4500 than most is worth. $5,000-$8000 and you get into some really good stuff and options. Its perhaps the most competitive price point (still some crap but not nearly as much).

And when I say crap, I do not need that they are poor watches, but rather they are not worth what you are paying (cough cough Tag Heuer)

And for anyone looking for my opinion of "the best watch for around $1000" - ORIS or NOMOS (although not my style). The Oris Pointer Date is an instant classic IMO.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Hamiltons are good watches. Collectible as another poster mentioned? No.

Unless you are talking about vintage models, then maybe.

Hamiltons for the most part use a base ETA or Sellita movement. Older ones will prob have an ETA. Sellita's are high end clones of ETA movements, so either is fine.

Advantages to these watches is they are highly serviceable by most watch repair businesses, so you won't wince as bad every 4-6 years when you need to pay to have it serviced.

Think of a Hamilton as a modern Honda. Many different models, all with the same 2 liter turbo across almost the entire range.

It will serve you well. If Hamilton is your price range, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Seiko Presage line. There is NO competition in the under $1000 mark when comparing what Seiko brings to the table in their automatic lineup.

Then there's more crap than good between $1000 and $4500 than most is worth. $5,000-$8000 and you get into some really good stuff and options. Its perhaps the most competitive price point (still some crap but not nearly as much).

And when I say crap, I do not need that they are poor watches, but rather they are not worth what you are paying (cough cough Tag Heuer)

And for anyone looking for my opinion of "the best watch for around $1000" - ORIS or NOMOS (although not my style). The Oris Pointer Date is an instant classic IMO.

Thank you.

I glossed over at even sub 1000. I'm thinking $150 or so, maybe a service taking it a little more.

Again,more of a stories watch, not a rolex.. just a watch that had been around a war on a soldiers wrist.. kind of cool piece of America.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Saw these and couldn’t make a decision so I bought them both. One is arriving on Monday, the other on Tuesday.

41213fc9542400f7bab4a8d7befe9f75.jpg

5887bec8acd1151e2e60e493bc254753.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom