Felony pocession of an Assault magazine?????

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    What the crap is an assault weapon magazine?? And how is it illegal in MD to have more than a 10 round magazine....

ttps://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/harford/aegis/cng-ag-belair-gun-arrest-0816-20190816-kqoovj7jhzgbxful3qriywzrme-story.html

SEARCH
    The Baltimore Sun Logo
    SUBSCRIBE
    4 weeks for only 99¢
    ADVERTISEMENT

HARFORD COUNTY
    MARYLAND
    MARYLAND NEWS
    Edgewood man sleeping on Bel Air sidewalk had ‘ghost gun,' drugs, police say

By ERIKA BUTLER
    THE AEGIS |
    AUG 16, 2019 | 10:30 AM

Police said they found a loaded “ghost gun” with a high-capacity magazine attached, as well as cash and drugs, on an Edgewood man sleeping on a sidewalk in a Bel Air apartment complex Tuesday.
    John Paul Laponzina, 20, of the 400 block of Kennard Avenue, is charged with use of a firearm in a drug trafficking crime, drug distribution with a firearm, drug possession with intent to distribute, possession of an assault weapon magazine, drug possession other than marijuana and possession of a firearm as a minor.Bel Air Police were called around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday to the 800 block of Old English Court, in the Harford Village South Apartments, to check on someone who appeared to be unconscious, according to charging documents.
    Officers said it appeared the man was sleeping. When checking his backpack trying to find identification, police found a loaded 9 mm pistol with a high capacity magazine containing 31 rounds attached to it, according to charging documents."

This is the second time I've heard this as a friend was red flagged by his crazy ex gf, the police gave his guns back EXCEPT the magazines that were over 10 rounds that were loaded.. they were "illegal"... wth.....

did I miss something?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    There is an add on charge for being in possession of a magazine over 10 rounds while committing a crime. That's what they are referencing.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    There is an add on charge for being in possession of a magazine over 10 rounds while committing a crime. That's what they are referencing.
    ^^^^
    This

Legal as long as you are not committing a concerrent gun crime

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I believe that it is an extra charge (doubly illegal) if you use a “high capacity” magazine in a crime. They are legal to own as long as you are doing lawful things but illegal if you are doing something illegal. I believe that they can tack this charge on if you are illegally in possession of a firearm in a school zone, state park, or city park.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Maryland's motto should be "double the crime, half the time"

Actually if they got half the time they were supposed to most here would be ecstatic.

Until you did your tax return and realized that income taxes went up to pay for all the additional prisons that were needed.

Edit to add: I just see all the people that continued to drink and make alcoholic beverages during prohibition as WWNC. Same goes for the drug "crimes" nowadays. If people want to kill themselves or ruin their lives by taking hard drugs, so be it. The guy was sleeping and not committing a crime of violence. Meh. He was probably just WWNC on the concealed weapons, etc. too, especially if he was in an unsafe area, like a public sidewalk.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Until you did your tax return and realized that income taxes went up to pay for all the additional prisons that were needed.

Edit to add: I just see all the people that continued to drink and make alcoholic beverages during prohibition as WWNC. Same goes for the drug "crimes" nowadays. If people want to kill themselves or ruin their lives by taking hard drugs, so be it. The guy was sleeping and not committing a crime of violence. Meh. He was probably just WWNC on the concealed weapons, etc. too, especially if he was in an unsafe area, like a public sidewalk.

:facepalm: What would be more effective, Money thrown at Baltimore city schools never to be seen again or new prisons!

How about we add an 12 part multiple choice questionnaire at the end of the tax return to determine how each individual would like their tax money allocated.

At least I'll sleep better knowing criminals are only allowed to commit gun crimes with 10 round mags.
    Criminals will surely think twice before attempting homicide with high capacity mags from now on, oh wait no apparently not :tongue01: :gun7:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    :facepalm: What would be more effective, Money thrown at Baltimore city schools never to be seen again or new prisons!

How about we add an 12 part multiple choice questionnaire at the end of the tax return to determine how each individual would like their tax money allocated.

At least I'll sleep better knowing criminals are only allowed to commit gun crimes with 10 round mags.
    Criminals will surely think twice before attempting homicide with high capacity mags from now on, oh wait no apparently not :tongue01: :gun7:

Yeah, you will sleep soundly until you have to choose between being a criminal or not once they outlaw the firearms you like. As I have said time and time again, there are so many laws on the books, that we are all breaking them. Only difference between who is labeled a criminal and who is not, is who gets caught and who does not.

I am pretty sure that the snowflakes will sleep a lot better once gun prohibition is put in place and all the people that will not comply are locked up.

Do you see where I am going with this? They passed drug reform, and you said nothing. They passed alcohol reform, and you said nothing. They passed gun reform, and you said nothing. They passed soda reform and you said nothing. They passed meat reform, and you said nothing. The list goes on and on and on.

Me, I believe in freedom with a large slice of personal responsibility. If somebody wants to drink themselves into a stupor, I'm fine with that. If somebody wants to get get high, I am fine with that. As long as their actions do not impact anybody else, have at it. Now, violent criminals, drunk/high drivers, etc., they need to be locked up. The guy sleeping on the sidewalk with a pistol in his backpack with a 31 round mag and some drugs, meh.

Reminds me of a case that a friend had in law school while he was working for the State's Attorney's Office. The guy had a fixed blade knife in his backpack while he was walking through school property. They decided to prosecute because it was on school property. Just one more criminal that should be doing hard time, right?

Oh, and I never suggested giving Baltimore City schools more money. Baltimore should get nothing more than its equal share, per capita. Want to start talking about equity, equity means we all get the same from our tax dollars.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Seven Common Law Felonies certainly cover bad things . Subsequent statutes that aren't derivative or redundant of the Original Seven bear scrutiny .

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Yeah, you will sleep soundly until you have to choose between being a criminal or not once they outlaw the firearms you like. As I have said time and time again, there are so many laws on the books, that we are all breaking them. Only difference between who is labeled a criminal and who is not, is who gets caught and who does not.

I am pretty sure that the snowflakes will sleep a lot better once gun prohibition is put in place and all the people that will not comply are locked up.

Do you see where I am going with this? They passed drug reform, and you said nothing. They passed alcohol reform, and you said nothing. They passed gun reform, and you said nothing. They passed soda reform and you said nothing. They passed meat reform, and you said nothing. The list goes on and on and on.

Me, I believe in freedom with a large slice of personal responsibility. If somebody wants to drink themselves into a stupor, I'm fine with that. If somebody wants to get get high, I am fine with that. As long as their actions do not impact anybody else, have at it. Now, violent criminals, drunk/high drivers, etc., they need to be locked up. The guy sleeping on the sidewalk with a pistol in his backpack with a 31 round mag and some drugs, meh.

Reminds me of a case that a friend had in law school while he was working for the State's Attorney's Office. The guy had a fixed blade knife in his backpack while he was walking through school property. They decided to prosecute because it was on school property. Just one more criminal that should be doing hard time, right?

Oh, and I never suggested giving Baltimore City schools more money. Baltimore should get nothing more than its equal share, per capita. Want to start talking about equity, equity means we all get the same from our tax dollars.

I agree, well said.

Also, even if the firearm is given back, the magazines are probably kept because for the police to confiscate them is legal... For them to give them back is a transfer of a high-capacity magazine, which is expressly illegal.

Which is, off course, what the Antis want. Break ANY law while in possession of a high-cap mag, and the crime is doubled, and the mag is gone. Confiscation by passive-agressive measures

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    What the crap is an assault weapon magazine??

Assault%2BRifles%2BFinal.jpg

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011

Haha, please. If this dude was sacked out at the end of your driveway or even in your neighborhood you would be the first one to call the police then have a tizzy fit when they didn't show up fast enough.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Haha, please. If this dude was sacked out at the end of your driveway or even in your neighborhood you would be the first one to call the police then have a tizzy fit when they didn't show up fast enough.

And then bitch about how long it took them to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom