• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 29, 2015
    Hey There,
    i recently added a CZ-75 BD as my new range pistol. I did quite a bit of research and decided on this one. I cleaned the barrel as directed in the manual. I went to AGC with it this morning and it was pretty cold. About 27. Out of about 200 rounds I had two FTF jams and a FTE. I’ve read this is so rare so I’m just slightly worried. One item of interest is that after chambering a round, if I drop the mag to add another round, the next round ready to go has slid forward about 1/2 the distance of the mag lips. Used three brands of 9mm ammo and new factory mags.

At 25 yards my first 10 rounds were within 3 inches so I’m sold. Am I experiencing normal break-in woes in conjunction with the cold weather? Do the mags normally feed in manner mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

TAS

Jan 29, 2015
    Seemed to be both. Also with 115 and 124..I contacted CZ already but I thought I’d ask around. .The thing i find odd as well is the mag and the next round moving partially forward.

SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Different gun but aside from making sure the barrel of a new P09 was unobstructed, I put 250 rounds through it before I cleaned it. Probably not what most people would do, but didnt have a single issue.

Other than breaking it in with some more range time, I'm not knowledgeable enough to guess what it could be.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    My sig p938 does the next round sliding forward every time. When I carry I drop the mag to top off after chambering, and I usually have to catch the next round in my hand because it gets knocked completely out of the mag. However, this does not affect feeding, I've never had a ftf with it.

I know, its a completely different firearm, just wanted to share that the sliding rounds might not be causing the ftf.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    The malfunctions are likely due to cheap ammo. What ammo were you shooting?

The dislodging of the top round in your mag is a partialfeed. This is a fairly common issue with new CZs. When chambering a round, the underside of the slide behind the breech face can drag on the next round at the top of the magazine. This can partially dislodge the next round from the magazine. The partially fed round may end up sitting with its nose at the bottom of the feed ramp and interfere with the extraction/ejection of the chambered round. In addition, the partially fed round can cause the magazine to hang if you attempt to drop the magazine. To alleviate these problems, the lower (leading) edge of breech face should be beveled and the underside of the slide behind the breech face should be polished. These modifications are shown in the following photograph (courtesy of Stuart @ CZ Custom Gunsmithing). The area to be beveled is shown in red and the area to be polished is shown in yellow.

IMG_0094aa.jpg

Make sure you understand exactly what "polishing" and "bevel" mean in the context of gunsmithing. You can always remove more metal, but you can never replace it if you take away too much.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    i had same issue and tried different types of ammo. the issue is documented on the interweb, i put a link below. supposedly due to spring tension that loosens up after a break-in period. after about 500-600 rounds problem seems to have disappeared. not an expert on this but seems to be running well now after break in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHrFeyAwjRs

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    My CZ 75 does not do this, and I feed it the cheapest ammo I can. Not aluminum case ammo, because it does jam anothergun I have, when its dirty (not the CZ 75). But I have had no problem with steel or brass. Literally, zZero, and I typically put 250 through it every trip.

Honestly I am not so sure its "common." I know a lot of people who use CZ 75 family, many in competitions, and not a single one ever mentioned it nor have I ever seen it. It's the most reliable gun I own and its never failed on me. Of course, I have not had it out in 27 degree weather. Metal does shrink in the cold, so its plausible things are binding a bit.

If there is any work to be done, I would send it to CZ under warranty, not pay out of pocket. But that's me.

Jan 29, 2015
    My CZ 75 does not do this, and I feed it the cheapest ammo I can. Not aluminum case ammo, because it does jam anothergun I have, when its dirty (not the CZ 75). But I have had no problem with steel or brass. Literally, zZero, and I typically put 250 through it every trip.

Honestly I am not so sure its "common." I know a lot of people who use CZ 75 family, many in competitions, and not a single one ever mentioned it nor have I ever seen it. It's the most reliable gun I own and its never failed on me. Of course, I have not had it out in 27 degree weather. Metal does shrink in the cold, so its plausible things are binding a bit.

If there is any work to be done, I would send it to CZ under warranty, not pay out of pocket. But that's me.

That’s my plan, CZ can fix it if there’s an issue..I’ll take it out again and run some
    more rounds, I’ve read these CZ’s should cycle anything. Blazer aluminum cased stuff had no issues, Armscorp and S&B I had problems with.

Jan 29, 2015
    Did this happen with all your mags or just one?

I own 5 CZ handguns and this has never happened to me.

Both mags, I shot Blazer aluminum/steel with no hang ups, S & B and Armscor brass I had issue with. Compared to my XD mag lips which are slick, the CZ mags seem less refined and rough.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    yes, yes they did. 16 round pinned to 10 round.

yes, well, that actually might explain it. Theoretically, you need a shorter spring to make this fix problem free, or cut a loop or two out. But it might be more trouble than its worth. Depends how they neutered it, I doubt that they shortened the spring. I do have problems with MD neutered mags. Or, did. I rarely use them. The good news, you are 40 minutes away in any direction from a simple fix.

Jan 29, 2015
    yes, well, that actually might explain it. Theoretically, you need a shorter spring to make this fix problem free, or cut a loop or two out. But it might be more trouble than its worth. Depends how they neutered it, I doubt that they shortened the spring. I do have problems with MD neutered mags. Or, did. I rarely use them. The good news, you are 40 minutes away in any direction from a simple fix.

10-4. I will try that, makes sense actually. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom