• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Is the CMP Special FIELD GRADE in 308 simply a 30-06 that has been converted, or is this a former Navy issue? Either way, looks like a nice rifle.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    It's a refurbished gun with new wooden stock and Criterion barrel. Scroll most of the way down:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

"Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line". To me this sounds like they've got some decent parts left, so they're trying to make usable rifles from the parts. I suspect that they chose .308 because it's more available than .30-06.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It's a refurbished gun with new wooden stock and Criterion barrel. Scroll most of the way down:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

"Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line". To me this sounds like they've got some decent parts left, so they're trying to make usable rifles from the parts. I suspect that they chose .308 because it's more available than .30-06.

Hmm - why not get the 30-06 version then? True enough though, 308 is more available.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    If you shoot competitively, you can shoot M1A and Garand using one caliber. I wouldn't mind getting a 308 to see how it performs.

Q

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Charlie has the following:

.308 M1 Garand available.

This is my special accurized rifle with National Match accuracy potential, without the cost of a full NM rifle. See description.

Charlie 410-744-7217 www.charliemaloney.com
    ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    --Harrington & Richardson receiver, excellent on USGI gage
    --New Criterion Match GI configuration barrel in .308 Win. (or 7.62 NATO)
    --New walnut stock set, fitted & finished. Nice figure
    --NM modifications to Gas Cylinder, stock & Handguards. Tight receiver fit
    --National Match trigger – crisp 4½ pounds
    --National Match front sight
    --National Match .595 rear aperture
    --All New springs and pins
    --New dark Parkerizing
    --All parts new, or like new USGI
    --.308 spacer block to prevent loading 06
    --Tight National Match type assembly
    --Fully tested for function, timing, and safety

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Charlie has the following:

.308 M1 Garand available.

This is my special accurized rifle with National Match accuracy potential, without the cost of a full NM rifle. See description.

Charlie 410-744-7217 www.charliemaloney.com
    ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    --Harrington & Richardson receiver, excellent on USGI gage
    --New Criterion Match GI configuration barrel in .308 Win. (or 7.62 NATO)
    --New walnut stock set, fitted & finished. Nice figure
    --NM modifications to Gas Cylinder, stock & Handguards. Tight receiver fit
    --National Match trigger – crisp 4½ pounds
    --National Match front sight
    --National Match .595 rear aperture
    --All New springs and pins
    --New dark Parkerizing
    --All parts new, or like new USGI
    --.308 spacer block to prevent loading 06
    --Tight National Match type assembly
    --Fully tested for function, timing, and safety

Any idea on a price? I didn't see it listed on his website and I don't want to bug the man when odds are, it will be out of my price range.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    It has the field grade condition first. Which applies to the reciever and other parts. The barrel is new. Maybe the stock, but "field " grade rules apply.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Here's a nice terse description on the background of the 308 caliber M1:

When NATO went to 7.62x51, the Navy didn't want to spend the money to swap out their Garands for M-14s. So in order not to have an ammo problem, they decided to convert their Garands to the NATO cartridge. The first try was a chamber adapter to shorten the chamber on the existing 30.06 barrels. That didn't work out. Many of the chamber adapters simply extracted with the spent 7.62x51 (.308) brass. So they went ahead and had new, properly chambered, barrels manufactured, and rebarreled the rifles. There are also Navy presentation match rifles out there in the marketplace so chambered. Jim Adell is an expert on these pieces. Also, .308 barrels are available from the CMP or commercial sites, and the conversion is relatively easy.

As to the advantages/disadvantages, the biggest advantage of .308 over 30.06 is that it allows a shorter action rifle. I don't believe that the Garand's action can be shortened. Anything that .308 can do, 30.06 can do better, except work in a shorter action rifle. So, if you want to only have to work and reload with one cartridge, go with the .308. Otherwise.......

original post: https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum...4-m1-garands-in-30-06-and-308?p=2605#post2605

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    There were no stand alone built 308 M1s. The navy modified 30-06 ones in the 50s? After that Springfield had a bunch of barrels and those started making their way around. "Forgotten Weapons" has some great videos about the .308 Garands.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    But the receiver is the same? My point is; if I see a 308 caliber Garand for sale, there is no way to prove that it was a 308 GI issue versus a 30-06 GI issue that was converted to 308 by a civilian.

Correct. But, it's not an inexpensive mod. You can always ask for proof of where and who did the modification. CMP and the Navy arsenal would be the most common. The latter being more rare and valuable. Your question, yes the receiver is the same.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    If it has a Criterion barrel, it ain't an original 308 Garand. FWIW, I've found the Criterion barrels to be very good. For a shooter, I'd rather the Criterion barrel.

This may or may not be important to you, but I don't believe the 308 Garands qualify for the as issued CMP matches. Unlimited yes. I highly recommend the CMP matches (Butner for example). Lots of fun. Lots of good people. They started using electronic targets too!

Orlando

But the receiver is the same? My point is; if I see a 308 caliber Garand for sale, there is no way to prove that it was a 308 GI issue versus a 30-06 GI issue that was converted to 308 by a civilian.

Everything is exactly the same between a 308 Garand and a 30.06 Garand except for the barrel
    If USGI the barrel will be stamped 7.62 not 308
    A 308 Garand my or may not have a block, all depends if the last owner used one. Personally I do not, they are a waste of money and not needed
    As stated you will need to pull back op rod and read what is stamped on side of barrel to see if its USGI or commercial
    Here is a pic of my Navy SA 7.62 non sleeved barrel

HR non sleeved 7.62

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom