Thread: island hunt
View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:55 AM #3

Depends on what the final weight is. I don't recall typical pork yield, but traditional slaughter and butchering I want to say it is around 65%. So a 300 pound hog would be around 200lbs of meat.

Depends on where and what. I paid a friend $9 a pound for a whole lamb including butchering fees for effectively next door grown, no antibiotics, blah, blah, blah tender lamb.

They have hogs as well and I want to say they sell them at $6-7 a pound.

So that would be around $1400 for 200lbs of "free range" pork.

I'd figure even with great care you are probably looking at 50% yield after shooting a hog and dressing it in the field and what not. Might be more like $900 worth of meat.

Still seems like a lot of trouble to go slaughter a hog with your gun plus all of that driving around and stuff. Of course it doesn't help my wife doesn't eat pork. I usually just get a few pounds of ground from my neighbor to make breakfast paddies occasionally. I might buy a couple of rashers of bacon from them eventually.

I am interested in an actual hog hunt at some point for the experience. I'll probably give most of the meat to friends though and only keep a few pounds plus a bunch of bacon (crap, if vacuum sealed I can easily do 20lbs of bacon).
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote