• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    So I'm getting ready to build the g17(thanks KJackson) and spit balling getting a slide that has the RMR cutout. Seems to be the fad, but I dont know if its practical or not. Anyone with experience with these? Learning curve? Or feels natural?

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    So I'm getting ready to build the g17(thanks KJackson) and spit balling getting a slide that has the RMR cutout. Seems to be the fad, but I dont know if its practical or not. Anyone with experience with these? Learning curve? Or feels natural?

Learning curve, yes.
    Practicality is based on the kind of shooting you do and at what ranges. Jerry Miculak uses them a lot for speed shooting on steel. If you are into bullseye shooting, a red dot is not your solution. I have a Smith & Wesson M&P CORE Pro Series with an RMR that is co-witnessed to suppressor height sights and neither gives me a decided advantage as far as accuracy or speed of acquisition go. I like practicing with different equipment, but it wouldn't break my heart to do without it.
    The one caveat is you have to have a good and consistent hold because you only have the one dot to aim with instead of a front and rear sight.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Having RMR’s on several pistols and Romeos on others - yes I would do it. There’s absolutely a learning curve but you’ll adapt in a couple outings. For the cutout, its nice having on a glock even if you don’t use.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    They are slower to pick up, but that can be fixed with practice. I was constantly making hits at 100 yards with my G19 and red dot, which surprised even me.

CBo

Feb 11, 2018
    Columbia
    get the slide cut, try it, and if it doesnt work out for you just put a cover plate on and never use the red dot, its really not a bad deal. For glock frames i tend to have to punch out completely to get the dot on point due to the grip angle. a p80 frame with its 1911 angled grip is alot less, meaning if i get lazy on draw the gun will be pointing high. this happens when i dont practice for a while.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I've tried them. My limited experience has been, if you put it on a gun that has a natural point for you, probably not that big a curve. On the other hand, put it on a gun you could never shoot well(for me, any Beretta), Might be better served with iron sights.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I think I'm going to give it a chance, I'd rather have it on a g19 slide, rewly digging that gun but g17 will be ok also.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    I have it on my glock40. I am definitely a better shooter with it quicker target acquisition side to side and more accurate. Since the red dot and the target are both in focus. I don’t have to force myself to only focus on the front site and can acquire target instantly

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I don't believe red dot sights on pistols are a fad. They aren't as easy to use as red dots on rifles, but pistols are harder to use effectively than rifles in general. If you can see red dots well enough to use them and are willing to put in the practice necessary to use them properly, I think they are well worth it. Incidentally the holosun hs507c is on sale right now for about $230-$240 and it uses the RMR footprint. I like mine a lot, and testing has shown it to be remarkably durable. Might be worth trying out one of those before dropping the coin on an RMR.

ETA: I personally believe that the main benefit comes from the fact that your aiming device and your target are on a single focal plane, same as a rifle red dot. It allows better situational awareness, faster acquisition (once properly retrained), and the precise aiming point allows greater potential accuracy than pistol irons.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Ordered a grey ghost rmr cut slide...in a few weeks I'll have something that I can shoot hopefully

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Curious to see how it works out for you. Kind of been thinking about it since I had the opportunity to try one on a friend's Glock. Worked really well for me at close range, didn't try it at distance though.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, all of those slow pokes in Open Division should go back to iron sights since irons are much faster to acquire. I'd put a red dot on my pistols but I don't want to shoot Carry Optics or Open yet.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City

RMR on a Glock makes target acquisition so effortless that it almost feels like cheating.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Ditto. I bought a used G34 off GB from a PA dealer that was already setup and had an RMR on it. I liked it right up until the RMR's power switch got flaky. Replaced it with a used RMR and that one lost the glass during an action pistol match. Did I give up? No. I tried another shooters dual RMR (no battery) equipped G34 and found it was just about as good as the powered one. So bought another one like that with the 9 MOA green dot and have been using it ever since. Equipped it with enough extra parts to be able to shoot Open, Limited, and Carry Optics. I use it over my STI these days, especially after I ZEV'd the trigger to the max.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Yeah, all of those slow pokes in Open Division should go back to iron sights since irons are much faster to acquire. I'd put a red dot on my pistols but I don't want to shoot Carry Optics or Open yet.

Faster to acquire does not mean the same thing as faster to shoot. While you can often acquire iron sights faster you may not be able to acquire both the sights and the target as fast as a red dot. In most cases your transition time with the red dot will be quicker than that of iron sights. Although some people do shoot iron faster than a dot because the technique is slightly different.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Ditto. I bought a used G34 off GB from a PA dealer that was already setup and had an RMR on it. I liked it right up until the RMR's power switch got flaky. Replaced it with a used RMR and that one lost the glass during an action pistol match. Did I give up? No. I tried another shooters dual RMR (no battery) equipped G34 and found it was just about as good as the powered one. So bought another one like that with the 9 MOA green dot and have been using it ever since. Equipped it with enough extra parts to be able to shoot Open, Limited, and Carry Optics. I use it over my STI these days, especially after I ZEV'd the trigger to the max.

9 MOA is the norm?

Slode showed up today

Attachments

• 20190619_194305.jpg
      20190619_194305.jpg
      133.9 KB · Views: 171

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Got to fire it today, I like a red dot. I seem to shoot better with one and I'm a horrible pistol shot!

30 rounds at 15 yards

Attachments

• 20190704_105144.jpg
      20190704_105144.jpg
      83.3 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl