• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    The very best answer to this I have ever seen is:

"Why did Rosa Parks 'need' to sit at the front of the bus?"

Rights don't require justifications.

Great line. I'll keep this line in mind, especially when asked by those who oppose gun ownership.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Good read.

"I mean, the first time I was asked, I have to admit I got a little defensive, and it was my own mother who had asked me."

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/11/why-you-need-ar-15-rifle/#axzz5WS7y2ylB

I though it was a crappy article. It is one of the main reasons why the 2A is being curtailed in the courts. No right is absolute. When the only reason given is that "it is my right" you will find that you may not have that right any more.

My answer is that we need good guys with guns to defend against the bad guys. The government has determined that this type of arm is useful to accomplish this task.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    As I told my MIL, what gun do you want me to have when a thug or 2, or 3, kicks down my door and I need to protect your daughter's life? I don't want a fair fight. I want an advantage. An AR gives me that advantage. If there was something better than an AR, then that's what I would want.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    Why does anyone need a car that can do double or even triple the speed limit? Why does anyone need an airplane when it's cheaper to fly commercial? Why does anyone need a super-duper smart phone when they are simply going to use it only for phone calls?.

Ask me why I need a red Roush F150 and a Red Mustang GT?:lol::D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Because I can , and want to is entirely correct .

BUT , if you think it is a situation appropriate for actual education you could try something like :

" They are highly popular because they are lightweight, ergonomic, reliable , accurate, adaptable. And in the most popular configurations easily adjustable for use by people of all statures and physical abilities, including elderly and handicapped .

And all of that despite being LESS powerful/ deadly than most other common rifles . "

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    The correct reply is "free people are not required to justify a "need" to purchase or own property. The requirement of others to justify the why or need of a particular item is the communist model..."to each according to their need", and is against American values. The real question is to ask why so many millions of people in the US want them. Put it back on the people asking the question and stump them.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Why do we need fire extinguishers? The chance of a fire happening is so small

There are citizens who are prepared for a life of liberty and even more that are for prepared for a life of tyranny

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Why do you need that many Cabbage Patch Dolls?? Why do you need that many pre 1955 Lionel Trains?? Why do you need that many pre 1950 Zippo lighters?? Why do you need a 2019 Corvette that seats two when you are a family of 4???

The same reason I have a Mustang 5-OH, AR-15 and numerous weapons! I don't need them.....I LUST for them!!

The answer is OBVIOUS. :innocent0

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Why do you need a "insert firearm name here"?

Because my forefathers had enough vision to understand that I would and provided for me to do so in the Constitution. Period. End of story.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I could provide actual answers besides want, I doubt most people who ask that question have ever considered the difficulty of invasive hog control for example, but my response would be that "why do you need" is a downright un-American question. The onus should always be on those who seek to restrict to prove danger to live in a free society. For example, I can make a case that you should not run your own nuclear reactor in your townhouse for obvious reasons. When you are forced to prove your need to live as you choose great damage can come to all sorts of folks and that question has been used to stifle all sorts of groups. For example, I am sure that plenty of people once asked "why do women need the vote?" or "why do you need to marry whom you choose?" A lack of charisma translates to a lack of freedom when you are forced to justify to others how you wish to live.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Why does anyone need a car that can do double or even triple the speed limit? Why does anyone need an airplane when it's cheaper to fly commercial? Why does anyone need a super-duper smart phone when they are simply going to use it only for phone calls?

It's because our freedoms give us the right to fulfill our wants and desires not because of some socially approved or governmentally approved need. As long as we can afford it and use it responsibly it's our right to exercise.

Like it....
    Why do you drink, whty do you need a classic car, Why do you need a huge house when
    there are only 3 people, Why do you need a Range Rover, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, when
    all get you from point "A" to "B" the same way...You can "apply" why to a lot of things.
    Why are you on FB, on and on...

Why a Ar15? because I had them way before all this crap started and shot several before
    oh, and they were "cheap" when I bought them "Colts"
    couldn't afford to many FNFAL's back them

-Rock

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Because whenever property rights are justified and determined by "need," as in, "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs," it never ends well.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Basic civil rights, NO one can tell what you "need" nor want, why we are born to be free.
    Locke and other natural rights philosophers said that the purpose of government is to protect natural rights.
    Thomas Jefferson agreed and in the Declaration of Independence argued that the protection of rights is the main purpose of government.

Government has lost sight of the purpose of protection of "We The People".

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I answer that question with a question (which I dislike) but I ask them why does anyone need a vehicle that goes over 75 miles an hour . Why do ya like baseball instead of football. First of all none their darn business all the haters remind me of Stallone’s movie demolition man.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Because Trump is literally Hitler.

If more liberals actually had the cognitive skills to process the irony of their own rhetoric, this would ALWAYS be the best answer. But I think most lefties are missing an important brain structure: the hypcritocampus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom