• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Every now and then I read about someone shooting targets at 10 yards or 20 yards, maybe even 25 yards and what size group they can shoot. I typically shoot at 25 FEET. At 25 yards I'm not sure I could even see the target as my front sight post may be bigger than the target. In your experience, do you think people are mixing up their distance units? I have attached an average grouping for me at 25 FEET (usually all within the 9 ring, sometimes 1 rat hole with a couple flyers). At 25 yards I'm pretty sure it wouldnt be a group at all. Do I need to start practicing at 20 yards, or do you think a lot of people are confused about how far they actually shoot?

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_235158.jpg
      IMG_20200126_235158.jpg
      48.1 KB · Views: 630

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I have nothing useful to say. Just thought your smart a$$ comment was better like this. :D

Agreed. That is much better.

Took the son in law to the NRA range.
    He took his target home and showed his father.
    His father took me aside and ask if his son could really shoot that well at 30 yards. I explained it was more like 10 feet.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Classic Bullseye Pistol shooting is at 50 yards.

I typically shoot pistols from 7 feet to 25 yards. Occasionally out further.

But those are measured distances. If there person is eyeballing the distance, they are probably wrong.

Attachments

• 6 in.jpg
      6 in.jpg
      11.3 KB · Views: 685

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Don't feel bad. Even NASA has mixups like these. Only theirs costs billions.

naw... 100s of millions, quit exaggerating ;)
    In 1999, the $125 million ($172 million in 2014 dollars) Mars Climate Orbiter flew off course and disintegrated after spacecraft engineers forgot to convert from English to metric measurements. While Jet Propulsion Laboratory's navigation team used the metric system (millimeters and meters) in its calculations, Lockheed Martin Astronautics, which built the craft, provided measurements in inches, feet, and pounds.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Our AGC Bullseye league shoots turning targets at 25 yards and stationary targets at 25 yds and 50 yds. We have guys who can easily group 10 shots 2-3" at 25 yds one-handed. I'm 10 shots 3-4" with my 22 at 25 yds one-handed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom