• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Can someone please explain the benefits of applying to become a "regulated firearm collector" in Maryland. I downloaded the form that someone posted on another thread. It is a very simple one-page form and it looks like all you have to do is show that you possess a C&R license (which I do) to qualify.

Does this status mean you don't have to go through the 7 day waiting period every time? Is there any cost associated with applying?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have never used mine, but it is good to have the piece of mind knowing that when I buy more than one C&R handgun to be delivered to me I don't have to worry there may be some law I may have broken.

I know there is most likely no issue with buying more than one C&R handgun from out of state, but like I said the piece of mind knowing I don't have to worry about even the unlikely is priceless.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    So literally the ONLY benifit to this designation is being able to buy more than one regulated firearm in a 30 day period? No other benefits at all???
    Well there are two other possible benefits.
    The transportation of handguns by a "bona fide" collector is allowed, and some collectors have gotten carry permits on the basis they transport their collections.

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    My hope was that it would allow me to avoid paying the MSP $15 and waiting a week and a half every time I buy a handgun or "assault" rifle. If you are a designated collector, why do they have to put you through the ringer every time, ya know
    I think the only ways out of the seven day wait is if you are a dealer, manufacturer or importer FFL, or if you are law enforcment or military buying one for your duties (or somethig like that).

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    Federal C&R license is NOT required

Can someone please explain the benefits of applying to become a "regulated firearm collector" in Maryland. I downloaded the form that someone posted on another thread. It is a very simple one-page form and it looks like all you have to do is show that you possess a C&R license (which I do) to qualify.

Just so there is no misunderstanding by any reader: In order to obtain the Maryland Regulated Firearms Collector status, one is NOT required to have a federal C&R license. The Maryland regulatory code defines a collector as an individual who either "(a) devotes time and attention to acquiring certain types of regulated firearms for the enhancement of the collector's personal collection and does not act as a firearms dealier; OR (b) possesses a Federal Collector's License (Curio or Relics)." There is a line on the form marked, "Describe nature of collecting activities." One can write anything pertinent, such as, "Collecting handguns of no particular style or manufacturer," or anything else that accurately and succinctly describes one's collecting activity.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Heh, I don't know how I missed him writing that.
    Just to agree, yes, it is possible to get the designation without having a C&R FFL.
    Hell, I didn't even know having the licnese was even mentioned in the code until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom